PDA

View Full Version : A few annoying health questions...

Mitsukara
08-27-2003, 01:15 AM
I know I posted something like this once before, but there are a few things I've noticed about myself that I'm not really sure a healthy person should.. err.. do. I don't know if any of this is serious, but I thought I might as well ask.

Like... have you ever suddenly trembled and had what was like kind of a muscle spasm, for just a second, suddenly? Like, I find myself suddenly getting this cold feeling going up through me and I jump up and hunch my shoulders without meaning to, and for, like, half a second I can't control myself... it's kind of hard to explain. It doesn't happen really often, mostly only when I'm tired; however, afterwards, I feel more awake, slightly, like maybe my circulation is more active or something. I thought maybe this had to do with caffiene but I've noticed it happening several hours after having any caffiene a few times.

Also, my facial muscles seem to feel very tight sometimes, and I feel very, sort of, groggy, or something, in those areas... this especially tends to happen around my eyes and temples (I think that's what they're called... the sides of your forehead) and I find myself trying to rub those areas really hard. It kind of alleviates it a little, but when I feel this way, it tends to keep coming back most of the day. I think it might be related to sleeping habits and/or stress, but I don't know.

The main thing that really bothers me, though, is that I think I might have some sleeping problems... it takes me about an hour and a half/two hours, at least, to get to sleep, even once I don't really have anything to do/am not doing anything. I'm not really so worried about that, though, so much as the state I always wake up in; I feel horribly tired, achy, and hot in the mornings, and am always either very grumpy/angry or very depressed, or a lovely mixture of both. I'm very sweaty and my neck hurts a lot, almost always. I seem to be pretty concious and coherent, but I have trouble hearing anything or getting my eyes to open. It is extremely difficult to get moving. Also, err... I know this is gross.. but I've heard that almost all healthy males are 'active' in the mornings. I find I am almost never in this state in the mornings, for some reason. Generally, I feel like absolute crap in the mornings and slowly improve over the course of a few hours.

Now, I would think that those were related to exhaustion, but I've been going to sleep around 12:30-1:30 AM* (2:30 or so at the latest most nights) and getting up around 10:00 AM or later. I tend to be extremely inactive during the day, (I sit at the computer and on the couch and on the floor most of the day, only walking for brief periods) and I don't know how this figures in, exactly.

Another possibly noteworthy thing is that I find I tend to reach my greatest physical high around 10:30-11:00 PM, caffiene or no, and feel worst in the middle of the afternoon (2:30-5:30 PM) and mornings (except when I've stayed up overnight, then I actually feel fairly good in the mornings, if a little tired from staying awake that long). I don't think this is normal, as from what I've seen most people feel pretty good in the middle of the afternoon and usually get tired at night (without caffiene, anyway).

Anyway, thanks if you read all of that, and I'd be interested if anyone had any thoughts on any of this.

* ~ all times listed are Central (GMT -6, an hour before Eastern time)

mikeron
08-27-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Jennifer
Like... have you ever suddenly trembled and had what was like kind of a muscle spasm, for just a second, suddenly? Like, I find myself suddenly getting this cold feeling going up through me and I jump up and hunch my shoulders without meaning to, and for, like, half a second I can't control myself... it's kind of hard to explain. It doesn't happen really often, mostly only when I'm tired; however, afterwards, I feel more awake, slightly, like maybe my circulation is more active or something. I thought maybe this had to do with caffiene but I've noticed it happening several hours after having any caffiene a few times.I experience this from time to time, mostly after urinating in the morning. :thumbsup:

The main thing that really bothers me, though, is that I think I might have some sleeping problems... it takes me about an hour and a half/two hours, at least, to get to sleep, even once I don't really have anything to do/am not doing anything. I'm not really so worried about that, though, so much as the state I always wake up in; I feel horribly tired, achy, and hot in the mornings, and am always either very grumpy/angry or very depressed, or a lovely mixture of both. I'm very sweaty and my neck hurts a lot, almost always. I seem to be pretty concious and coherent, but I have trouble hearing anything or getting my eyes to open. It is extremely difficult to get moving. Also, err... I know this is gross.. but I've heard that almost all healthy males are 'active' in the mornings. I find I am almost never in this state in the mornings, for some reason. Generally, I feel like absolute crap in the mornings and slowly improve over the course of a few hours.
As a start, you should avoid doing anything (such as reading, eating, etc.) in your bed except sleeping. I'm sure somebody has to have some advice on this one.

Jemsee
08-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by mikeron
As a start, you should avoid doing anything (such as reading, eating, etc.) in your bed except sleeping.

That probably is good advice.
Not sure about the reading part because I read in bed just about every night, or watch TV in bed.
But the eating in bed or right before bed can have a lot of effects on your sleeping, dreaming, and how you feel first thing.
Also through the teen years certain "growing pains" are to be expected and these can last into the early twenties depending on the growth of the individual.

Insomnia from Web MD (http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/93/23140)

Raichu86
08-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Like... have you ever suddenly trembled and had what was like kind of a muscle spasm, for just a second, suddenly? Like, I find myself suddenly getting this cold feeling going up through me and I jump up and hunch my shoulders without meaning to, and for, like, half a second I can't control myself... it's kind of hard to explain. It doesn't happen really often, mostly only when I'm tired; however, afterwards, I feel more awake, slightly, like maybe my circulation is more active or something. I thought maybe this had to do with caffiene but I've noticed it happening several hours after having any caffiene a few times.
I also have something like that happens every now and then, I think when something like sound or temperature bothers me. It's a huge uncontrollable shiver, mostly in the shoulder area. It lasts for less than a second, but I tremble violently, it's not like a normal shiver.

Also, my facial muscles seem to feel very tight sometimes, and I feel very, sort of, groggy, or something, in those areas... this especially tends to happen around my eyes and temples (I think that's what they're called... the sides of your forehead) and I find myself trying to rub those areas really hard. It kind of alleviates it a little, but when I feel this way, it tends to keep coming back most of the day. I think it might be related to sleeping habits and/or stress, but I don't know.
Well, that can happen in my chin area if I yawn too hard. It doesn't happen at random, and there's no groggy effects. It just feels like the muscle in my chin has been ripped or something. :shrug:

The main thing that really bothers me, though, is that I think I might have some sleeping problems... it takes me about an hour and a half/two hours, at least, to get to sleep, even once I don't really have anything to do/am not doing anything.
It takes me that long to get to sleep most of the time, too. I can cure it by listening to something or playing a game. Playing games late at night especially wears me out. I can only play for a few minutes most of the time before I'm too tired to go on, have to turn it off, and then fall asleep after just minutes. Listening to my MP3 player also helps me get to sleep quickly. Last night, I listened to 5 songs, and the last 3 I was feeling half asleep. I turned it off and hung my phones up, and I was zonked in no time. Perhaps you should try that.

Hope you feel better. :)

Ian
08-27-2003, 11:12 AM

This happens to me too. Usually it's just at my shoulder area. I usually feel really cold after it.

Another possibly noteworthy thing is that I find I tend to reach my greatest physical high around 10:30-11:00 PM, caffiene or no, and feel worst in the middle of the afternoon (2:30-5:30 PM) and mornings (except when I've stayed up overnight, then I actually feel fairly good in the mornings, if a little tired from staying awake that long). I don't think this is normal, as from what I've seen most people feel pretty good in the middle of the afternoon and usually get tired at night (without caffiene, anyway).

I don't think tha's the problem. I'm usually most active at night, from about 9:30 to about 12:30 PM. I feel worst at around 2:00 PM if I'm at my house, but if I'm out of my house, I feel pretty good. The only time I feel like crap in the morning is when people wake me up. That really bothers me.

I usually watch a movie every night, and whenever I get tired, I just turn it off. That or play NES, or GB untill I'm half asleep. You should try to find something to pass the time at night, some kind of activity. If you can do that, then you shoud get get tired without forcing yourself to go to sleep.

I-Man
08-27-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm not really so worried about that, though, so much as the state I always wake up in; I feel horribly tired, achy, and hot in the mornings, and am always either very grumpy/angry or very depressed, or a lovely mixture of both. I'm very sweaty and my neck hurts a lot, almost always. I seem to be pretty concious and coherent, but I have trouble hearing anything or getting my eyes to open. It is extremely difficult to get moving. Also, err... I know this is gross.. but I've heard that almost all healthy males are 'active' in the mornings. I find I am almost never in this state in the mornings, for some reason. Generally, I feel like absolute crap in the mornings and slowly improve over the course of a few hours.

I feel exactly the same, but it only happens when I wake up and there is light out. When I get up before it is light out I feel fine. When I wake up, if a sibling or someone is in my room, I feel extremely agitated towards them for no reason, especially if they are making noise. I'll flip out uncontrollably at them until they get out. After taking a shower I usually return to normal though.

gdorf
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM

I would make it a point to take a long walk/jog every day at 2:30 -5:30. In my experience it keeps me awake and active during the day, and helps me sleep at night. You'd be surprised how well a walk can make you feel.

Prrkitty
08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Jennifer... have you seen a doctor for ANY of this? Your sleeping problems could be caused by too much or not enough melatonin (not sure I spelled that word right). From what I understand of your situation.... also could be the hormones are out of synch (more then you think) and causing the body havoc. Which could legitimately cause all that you're describing.

Send me a PM if you'd like and we can talk more.... :)

Mitsukara
08-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Jennifer... have you seen a doctor for ANY of this?
I don't think I've been to any doctors since that time I shoved a plastic noodle up my nose when I was 3 or 4, actually... I've heard that you're supposed to have annual doctors appointments when you're a child/teenager, but this is apparently something my parents don't believe in and/or can't afford... the only person in the immediate family who ever sees a doctor is my mother, because she has weight gain problems and IBS (sorry if that's too much information:P)...

So no, I haven't seen a doctor in several years about anything. *shrug*

Goat
08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
...have you ever suddenly trembled and had what was like kind of a muscle spasm, for just a second, suddenly?...

i also have muscle spasms, i refer toit as freakign out, when i lose control and cant control myself, i believe mine is an anger problem

...my facial muscles seem to feel very tight sometimes, and I feel very, sort of, groggy, or something, in those areas...

Mine feel really tight and get annoying when I smile to much. Do you smile alot?

...I think I might have some sleeping problems... it takes me about an hour and a half/two hours, at least, to get to sleep, even once I don't really have anything to do/am not doing anything...

http://www.serta.bc.ca/images/Woman-Sheep%20Title%20Pg.jpg