PDA

View Full Version : Perfect driving record? I think not...

DarkPanther
08-26-2003, 01:06 PM
For those of you who don't like to read, the picture book version of this story is here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/popupWindow/0,,2003391099,00.html).

For the rest of you coherent members, here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003391098,00.html).

Basically, the UK government wants to put a tracker in your car that will communicate with roadside sensors.

Going over the speed limit? Screwed. Your ticket will be in the mail tomorrow.

Parked on a yellow line? Oh yes, screwed for even that.

I don't really believe this will ever get off the ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens soon (5-10 years). I'm already pissed about those little black boxes they put in newer cars (2000+) to track your engine wear and tear. Nice for maintenance, but is starting to become legal evidence in courts of law against the driver. *shrug* Positive and negative to everything though.

Well, everything but this retard-stricken story.

Ganonator
08-26-2003, 01:44 PM
It will never get off the ground in the US because it infringes on our right to privacy. Privacy actually protects us when we are going 140 on a back country road. Because of this, we enjoy our lives more. This new system - fuck.

All I say is if you are going to break the law, do it in somebody elses car.

stormwatcheagle
08-26-2003, 04:47 PM
I dono, seems like you're ok if you follow the law.

Saffith
08-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Sure, but from the sound of it, it's pretty strict. It's one thing not to run red lights or go 50 MPH in a parking lot, but it's another thing altogether not to unwittingly drift a mile or two per hour over the limit.

Jemsee
08-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Also think of the cost to outline the road with sencers that tell this thing when you park wrong, speed, or do whatever.
It would be an expensive thing to do and not every road would have it.
Also as soon as they were in place someone would figure out a way around it.

deathbyhokie
08-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jemsee
Also think of the cost to outline the road with sencers that tell this thing when you park wrong, speed, or do whatever.
It would be an expensive thing to do and not every road would have it.
Also as soon as they were in place someone would figure out a way around it.

not to mention the cost to upkeep the sensors. and replace the ones that people are going to remove from the road.

Prrkitty
08-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Yeah... they "remove" them by running 'em over... or with a baseball bat.