PDA

View Full Version : Corel Wordperfect 10

3-Headed Monkey
08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Ok, I just got a new computer that came with Corel Wordperfect 10, and for some reason, if I'm not connected to the Internet, it freezes up while it's loading. I've never had this problem with previous versions of Wordperfect. I've tried searching the Corel website, but that is the most worthless website I've ever been to, with very inadequate support. Does anyone know how to fix this?

And please please please do not just give me reasons why "Word" or any other word processor is superior. I need to fix this, I don't need a new product.

DarkPanther
08-25-2003, 04:09 PM
I haven't used that program in years, but generically speaking, you might want to dig around in your options and see if it does a behind-the-scenes update search everytime it opens. If this is the case, you may have to change your setting to dial-up rather than broadband (at least, I assume you have dial-up, based on your remark). I've dealt with programs before that try to launch other programs when they launch, and they're always prime suspects for crashes.

My best guess is it's trying to launch your ISP dial-up program and can't.

Otherwise.... ?

3-Headed Monkey
08-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I use broadband, but I'm using a laptop, so when I'm using it at school and I don't have a connection to the internet, I can't load it.

I'm going to search around for a behind-the-scenes thing and deactivate it, but I don't know how easy that will be.

stormwatcheagle
08-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Did you try and register during install or something else that needs the internet?

I have Wordperfect 9 btw, a fine program.

3-Headed Monkey
08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
I didn't install it, it was preinstalled by Dell. I just realized that I actually haven't tried reinstalling it yet. I should have tried that a long time ago. I'm going to do that, but not now, maybe later.

It's good to know that SOMEONE aside from me uses Wordperfect, not Word... But, if I keep having these problems, I'll have to downgrade to Wordperfect 8. That wouldn't really be bad, though, because there's hardly any difference, at least with what I do (I only use it for things like school reports).

stormwatcheagle
08-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Actually, once you get used to it, Word and Wordperfect are the same program, they just use a differnt naive file formay. And since they can both read each others files, there's really no advantage over the other. I also think Wordperfect looks cooler.

3-Headed Monkey
08-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but the few times I've used Word (I have it, it came with my old computer), I was confused because although they basically do the same thing, the options are in different locations and it takes a while to get used to. I've used Wordperfect all my life, so that's what I'm used to.