PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Memories Screenshots

StarFox
08-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Timing is everything. Right? Well, I know I'm not being too smart here showing some screens of my quest, Forgotten Memories, just after Prince released a demo of ML and *b* showed some screenshots of Sun Tower. But you know what? I'm going to do it anyway and hope for the best.

I'm building a brand new tileset. I want my quest to be unique, so the first step is building the graphics. I want to know how I'm doing so far.

http://happyman.250free.com/Starfox/FMSS2.bmp
Picture 1 (http://happyman.250free.com/Starfox/FMSS2.bmp)

http://happyman.250free.com/Starfox/FMSS1.bmp
Picture 2 (http://happyman.250free.com/Starfox/FMSS1.bmp)

First of all, 2 notes:

1) Do not rip these tiles! I worked very hard to create this tileset, and I don't want to see it stolen. I decided to show off my pictures in a nice quality so people could see the pictures clearly. By doing this, I'm also at the risk of rippers. Please do not take advantage of this.

2) I know the water doesn't look very good. I'm trying to create water that looks different than any of the other water out there. It's kind of hard, though, and I'm still getting all the kinks worked out.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, questions, or candy. Thanks.

Crazy_Link
08-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Whoa! Neet Tiles! :thumbsup:

Ganonator
08-24-2003, 05:06 PM
StarFox - it actually looks very nice. Completely different, and fresh. Haven't seen much of that lately. I normally don't base quests on their beauty, but more on their playablility. I think ML is a little rough around the edges play wise, so something completely new would be great.

Finish this out, and you got yourself a winner.

Sephiroth
08-24-2003, 05:24 PM
:thumbsup: good job. i would like to see more of that. :p

GerrardCapashen
08-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Great tiles indeed. Everybody seems to be doing night palettes nowadays lol. Maybe they just realized that doing night palettes is a piece of cake.

StarFox
08-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Ganonator
StarFox - it actually looks very nice. Completely different, and fresh. Haven't seen much of that lately. I normally don't base quests on their beauty, but more on their playablility. I think ML is a little rough around the edges play wise, so something completely new would be great.

Finish this out, and you got yourself a winner.

I agree. I base judgement primarily on gameplay, although I thought ML played beautifully. Now I know you can't tell if Forgotten Memories will play well or not, but know that I intend to innovate as much as I can. I'm all for pushing the boundries of ZQuest further than anyone has ever gone. Yet at the same time, I want to fix the problem that most "new-age" quests (as it is commonly called) have: the feeling that they are disjointed and don't flow well. Mystic Land succeeded in capturing that solid feel in my opinion. What I want to do is create a new-age quest with advanced techniques - many of which nobody has seen before - and combine it with a quest that flows easily and feels connected. Telling you this may not change your opinion on how I stand compared to other quest designers, but at least you know my intents.

Blonde799
08-25-2003, 07:32 PM
The tiles look neat.:) Don't worry, I won't rip, I have enough creativity on the brain.:p

Also, I hear a lot of people trying to make their quests" stand out from the rest". My advice to you is, don't try too hard. No offense, but some may have more room for innovative ideas than you do(and think outside the box). I'd be just as satisfied, if you pushed out a quest that played smoothly, no matter what "parlor tricks" you put in it. All in all, it's all about how the quest plays.:)

StarFox
08-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Blonde799
The tiles look neat.:) Don't worry, I won't rip, I have enough creativity on the brain.:p

Also, I hear a lot of people trying to make their quests" stand out from the rest". My advice to you is, don't try too hard. No offense, but some may have more room for innovative ideas than you do(and think outside the box). I'd be just as satisfied, if you pushed out a quest that played smoothly, no matter what "parlor tricks" you put in it. All in all, it's all about how the quest plays.:)

I understand I still have a lot I need to prove to everyone... I don't expect people to be really excited about this quest. After all, what have I shown I can do?

And I also understand what you mean about a quest that plays smoothly. That's the problem that I see all the time. People see two options: parlor tricks or a smooth quest (although I won't really be using "parlor tricks," since each trick would feel like an actual part of the game rather than something thrown in just to impress). With time and patience, you actaully can get both. My tricks wouldn't really be thrown into the quest just for the sake of having them in there and to attract people. Rather, each trick would expand the game in some way.

Finally, I think I do have a lot of room to innovate. I may not be a recognizable name yet, but I know what I'm doing. There's not really much I can say to convince you of this, but I'm not going to worry about that now since I'm just showing graphics. ;)

C-Dawg
08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Those tiles are alright, but nothing to get excited about. The trees are nice, the rocks are so-so... I dont see what's making you all jizz your pants here. Those little loopy light things might be really neat, depending how they are animated. Other than that... you're right, it's a bad call to post screens after the master of graphics releases a demo.

-C

Blonde799
08-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Master of graphics my ass.:p "Great" and "could be better" are two totally different things.;)

PrinceMSC
08-26-2003, 12:00 AM
On a scale 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I give it a 7. But at least you are doing something different unlike most others. Making a tileset all by hand is tough, and I would know. Even though I'm still making the cartoon graphics to this day, I still have tons of work I need to do. But anyway, what ever you do will most likely be excellent as long as its different.

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Ackpt!
08-26-2003, 06:34 AM
very good. i want this quest. it seems awesome, cotinue with the good work!