PDA

View Full Version : The worst 100 movies.

AlexMax
08-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Saw this site just recently, and it displays the 100 worst movies as voted by the visitors of the website.

http://us.imdb.com/bottom_100_films

Just for the record, I decided to examine which decade the movies came out in...I tallied them up.

2000-2003:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xx
1990-1999:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx x
1980-1989:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx x
1970-1979:xxxx
1960-1969:xxx
1950-1959:xx

Bold indicates projection of the 2000 decade movies...we are a little more than halfway through 2003, so divide 10 years by 3.6 = 2.7 * number of x's in 2000 = total number of projected x's rounded to nearest whole number (please correct me if my logic is wrong

Is anyone else surprised? In my opinion, I can conclude that the reason why movie sales are down are due to the number of shitty movies that are being released...and probably overhyped, as the more likely you are that you went to a bad movie, the more likely you are that you can call it bad from personal experience, barring those who rate movies badly even without seeing them.

Granted, the 2000's projection is a little better than the 90's, but again, this is only my rough estimation, and as you can see, we are pretty high up there anyway.

Ganonator
08-23-2003, 12:16 AM
This isn't necessarily the worst movies, just the ones at the bottom of the user rating. However, it wasn't hard to figure that From Justin to Kelly would be below Gigli...

theplustwo
08-23-2003, 01:18 AM
the problem isn't that there are worse movies now, or even more of them, but that even the really bad movies are now so heavily promoted. as time goes on, people feel more ripped off when movies aren't spectacular. living in the fifties, sixties, and even seventies, just getting out of the house was alot more of the whole experience, not just going to see every big summer movie and finding out that they sucked. plus, the newer crap movies are still fresh on the mind, whereas some crappy movie you saw ten years ago probably isn't as annoying any more. Also, people probably have a lot less of a tendancy to go back and rate movies bad that were released way before the internet was around if they didn't really, really suck. [/rant]

Goat
08-23-2003, 02:55 AM
If you notice, every single police academy sequel is on that list.

Blonde799
08-23-2003, 03:04 AM
Well, at least the TV series was good.:)

Fiyerstorm
08-23-2003, 03:14 AM
lmao.

From Justin to Kelly and Spice World were on there!!!

/me laughs harder.

/me sees From Justin to Kelly at the #1 spot.

/me cries from laughter.

thePHeffect
08-23-2003, 03:56 AM
test

Daarkseid
08-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by AlexMax

[b]
Is anyone else surprised? In my opinion, I can conclude that the reason why movie sales are down are due to the number of shitty movies that are being released...and probably overhyped, as the more likely you are that you went to a bad movie, the more likely you are that you can call it bad from personal experience, barring those who rate movies badly even without seeing them.

The only problem I have with this poll is that its done via a website, and its hopefully true that the largest majority of internet users are younger, many of them probably never having been born before the 1970s. The amount of reported bad films shoots up 5 fold from the 70s to the 80s, while it only doubles from the 80s and the 90s. If your projected forcast for the 00s is to be considered, then there is no appreciable difference between the 90s and 00s.

It can be said then that the most memorable films are going to be the ones people actually watched, and I don't think a 20 year old responding to the web poll is likely not going to have seen enough films from the 60s and 70s to be able to identify as many bad films from that era.

Another consideration might also be the volume of films produced. The movie industry has grown considerably in the past decade, especially after the 1960s and 1970s saw a decline in theartre patronage over the previous decades. It didn't seriously begin to pick up as it has until the mid 80s, I think. Increased audiences could also then a larger number of films being produced overall, which of course then increases the appearances of bad films.

inori
08-23-2003, 05:33 AM
The fact that more recent movies are more common on the poll doesn't prove that movies are worse than they are. In fact, it most likely proves only that people are more familiar with (and therefore more likely to vote for) recent movies.

That doesn't mean that movies aren't getting worse; it only means that the poll doesn't prove it.

J.J. Maxx
08-23-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry but Plan 9 From Outer Space is a classic. It can't even be considered as a bad movie. :thumbsup:

Ich
08-23-2003, 11:14 AM
As I was reading through this, I kept being suprised. "They made a seqeul to that!?"

Jemsee
08-23-2003, 12:11 PM
I was thinking what Daark said in his 3rd paragraph that more movies = more crap.
But it is a good point that the voters may not have seen some of the older ones also.

Eckels
08-24-2003, 01:01 AM
The Real Cancun isn't on that list.

Rainman
08-24-2003, 04:10 PM
You can't really tell right now which shitty movies will continue to stay on that list. Remember, these movies are new, thus we have to factor a lot of bad voting due to just reaction. Also, the older bad movies probably have gone of the radar so no one is voting for them. I don't think that we are getting any worse. We have probably been farely consistent.

carrot red
08-24-2003, 08:47 PM
It's true for most of them and most of the sequels. But I would have rated Barb Wire among the first 15.

Nekui
08-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Future War (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113135)

heh heh... I saw this one on MST3K, really funny. I couldn't imagine watching the original movie. :disgust:

theplustwo
08-25-2003, 03:49 PM
hey manos! get those hands of fate at ten and two!

... sorry, just had to say that. (from mst3k)