PDA

View Full Version : MPAA blames Gigli's poor sales on Text Messaging...

AlexMax
08-22-2003, 12:56 AM

I shit you not...

http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=434778

Texting blamed for summer movie flops
By Andrew Gumbel

18 August 2003

In Hollywood, 2003 is rapidly becoming known as the year of the failed blockbuster, and the industry now thinks it knows why.

No, the executives are not blaming such bombs as The Hulk, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle or Gigli on poor quality, lack of originality, or general failure to entertain. There's absolutely nothing new about that.

The problem, they say, is teenagers who instant message their friends with their verdict on new films - sometimes while they are still in the cinema watching - and so scuppering carefully crafted marketing campaigns designed to lure audiences out to a big movie on its opening weekend.

"In the old days, there used to be a term, 'buying your gross,' " Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax, told the Los Angeles Times. "You could buy your gross for the weekend and overcome bad word of mouth, because it took time to filter out into the general audience."

But those days are over, because the technology of hand-held text-message devices has drastically cut down the time it takes for movie-goers to tell their friends that a heavily promoted summer action movie is a waste of time and money.

Five years ago, when summer movies were arguably just as bad as they are now, the average audience drop-off between a film's opening weekend and its second weekend was 40 per cent. This summer, it has been 51 per cent. In some cases, the drop-off has started between the film's opening on a Friday night and the main screenings on Saturday. The upshot: unsuccessful films disappearing from cinemas so fast that there is no time for second opinions.

A 56 per cent drop over the first week of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was not what the studio moguls had expected. As Arnold Schwarzenegger himself might say, hasta la vista, baby.

Honestly, I thought this was a joke when I first read it. Is the movie industry fucking insane?

inori
08-22-2003, 02:04 AM
At least they aren't threatening to sue anybody... yet. :rolleyes:

Nemo
08-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Its a new era... get with the program... if you really want to make $$$ do what would draw it ... dont make suck movies.. i rarely go to a premier night movie... it has to have REAL good feedback before i go see it....

gdorf
08-22-2003, 02:36 AM
At least they aren't threatening to sue anybody... yet.

that is the first thing to run through my head. I definately wouldn't put it past these people. If you are dumb enough to blame bad movie sales on text messaging for gods sake. I mean, how is text messaging any easier than calling people on the phone. Its a pain the ass to use the cell-phone keypads to type anything anyway. To type "this movie was horrible" would probably take 2 minutes. sheesh.

vegeta1215
08-22-2003, 02:44 AM
I just called my friend to tell him the movie sucked so he wouldn't waste his money...maybe they should blame the telephone? Oh wait, I forgot, I saw him in person and told him it sucked - word of mouth to blame for bad movie sales? No way!

Seriously, this is ridiculous. It's just like the music industry: they blame poor sales on new technology and can't live up to the fact that the records and movies coming out now suck.

goKi
08-22-2003, 04:20 AM
Couldnt they have used piracy as a better excuse? I swear the entertainment industry is fucking insane. I tell my friends a move sucks when the movie actually sucks. Its unfair to criticise the viewers of the movies for not going to see a crap movie that they knocked up in a couple of days. Maybe they should look a little closer to home for the problem and start making some decent films.

Pablo
08-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Perhaps they could stop making sucky movies! :eek:

When movies are mostly good, but still selling badly, then they have a right to complain. Till then, suck it up, MPAA. It's not like you can't afford a couple (thousand) sucktastic movies not selling.

Breaker
08-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Gigli did enough damage on its own. The movie was fucking terrible.

DarkPanther
08-22-2003, 01:46 PM
I heard it was so bad Justin and Kelly (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0339034) got up and walked out.

*ba-dum-tsssssssh*

SiliconHero
08-23-2003, 11:40 PM
I just love this quote from Danny Minton (KBTV-NBC) about the flick: "Gigli was so horrible, I had to cleanse my palate afterwards by watching Glitter."

Perhaps the music and movie industries wouldn't need to find scapegoats to disguise the fact that a lot of the products that are coming out in America nowadays just plain suck. Just ask Paramount Pictures, who are taking an "it's the video game's fault" approach to the poor gross of Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.

Cloral
08-24-2003, 02:44 AM
Its simply that nobody wants to take responsability for their own mistakes anymore. I'd just like for once to see one of these movie executives come forward and say that the movie was a flop because the script was bad and the acting was horrible.

bigjoe
08-24-2003, 03:04 AM
It makes about as much sense as Kellog's blaming their poor sales on the war in Iraq -_-

Nekui
08-24-2003, 03:12 AM
It's because most producers are mostly interested in making money, most could care less about art or quality film-making. I think they should be more accepting of film-makers with new and original ideas; no corporate think tanks. By the way, I thought Hulk was a good movie, Ang Lee is a great film maker. :D

Michael Moore
08-24-2003, 03:20 AM
"Its turkey time"

lol, worst seduction line ever....

Jemsee
08-24-2003, 11:44 AM
..."You could buy your gross for the weekend and overcome bad word of mouth, because it took time to filter out into the general audience."

But those days are over, because the technology of hand-held text-message devices has drastically cut down the time it takes for movie-goers to tell their friends that a heavily promoted summer action movie is a waste of time and money.

So in truth even the movie executives know there products suck.
But they put a spin on it and put out propaganda
that it is the best knowing people will believe and trust what they see on TV.
They make their $ and on to the next piece of crap.
Could it be that people are just wising up and stop going to the same old thing, same old story, bad acting, and no plot movies?
If it is true, well hurrah for us for not being taken in by a bunch of crap producing morons from Hollywood.