PDA

View Full Version : trading PS2 for Game Cube

idontknow
08-21-2003, 11:33 AM
I was thinking about trading in my PS2 system & games for a game cube system & games; not sure why, but i've always like the "nintendo" type games more than any other type of games. I've just always loved mario more than any other trademark character (like Sonic for sega, etc.) So far, i would plan on getting Super Smash Brothers Malee, Metroid Prime, Legend of zelda: the windwaker, mario party 4, soul caliber, Mario Golf, and if/when it comes out, Mario Kart. As it is, i do not really play PS2 that much, not that its a bad system or anything--just not a fan of those kinds of games & the games i do have i don't play that much. So, is this a reasonable trade? (is it worth it?) What do you recommend? where could i go trade my ps2 system? (for like the same or similar price as it was bought for)

Maverick_Zero
08-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I don't reccomend Mario Party 4, but all the other games sound good. If you don't like your PS2, I say go for it.

idontknow
08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
well, what stores would accept used PS2s in exchange for other systems or cash? i'm wondering if i can just exchange my ps2 for a game cube system & a game (since the game cube is approx $50 cheaper than the ps2 now) and then i'd also want to trade games as well

gdorf
08-21-2003, 03:02 PM
What is the serial number on the back of your ps2? if it is at or below SPCH-30001 you might have some troubles getting much for it, because those are notorious for DRE's. And, I understand how you feel about wanting a gamecube. Somehow, theyre games are so much more fun. My ps2 has some really nice looking games, and some with really good gameplay. But it will NEVER be the same as a nintendo system. I just don't get as trapped in playstation 2 games. They feel more like I am playing a game to pass the time. When I play the ps2, it kinda feels like the games have lost their touch. The exception is, of course, FF games. Those are still incredible. :P

vegeta1215
08-21-2003, 03:26 PM
You should try Gamestop. I'm not sure what they'll give you for your PS2, but I really really like the store. They always have what I'm looking for and have a good selection of used games :)

btw, good choices on games for GCN :thumbsup:

idontknow
08-21-2003, 05:25 PM
why is it called "GCN"? why not, "NGC" (nintendo game cube) or just "GC"--what does GCN mean? also, whats a "DRE" (no, not eminem's partner in crime, silly :)) seriously, i've never heard of that term before

Mak-X
08-21-2003, 07:17 PM
It's "GC" in Japan, NOA wanted "Nintendo" to be there, so they called it "GCN" in the U.S., either NGC was already taken or they wanted to emphasized GameCube by placing the end afterward. Both GCN and GC are acceptable.

Maverick_Zero
08-21-2003, 08:14 PM
I've had better luck with Electronics Boutique for trading stuff in rather then Gamestop. But not everyone has an EB around them.

gdorf
08-21-2003, 09:40 PM
DRE's are disk read errors. You probably already know that earlier ps2's get them a lot. :)

idontknow
08-21-2003, 10:36 PM
i get them a ton with a specific disk; its a disk that goes along with a saving cartridge or whatever that you have to load each time you want to save with it, which is really annoying--i think that might just be becuz its soo scratched up but i'm not sure--also, my final fantasy X game was all of a sudden freezing after a certain point in the game (after you beat like the mega buster enemy or something, but this was on a third game i started--i already beat the game at least 2x beforehand)

MottZilla
08-22-2003, 09:11 PM
idontknow, honestly you aren't going to get very much for your system if you trade-in to a store. You might try finding someone near you that would buy it.

AlexMax
08-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Mott speaks the truth.

But honestly, you have to ask yourself one question. Do you hjave Cable/DSL?

If you answered yes, you should defeniatly save up a little more money and get an Xbox and an Xbox Live! starter kit. You can find preowned Xbox's for cheap, refurbished for a little more money and a brand new one for $179. The price of Xbox Live! for a year is about the cost of a single game, but it is very much worth it, and MotoGP on the demo disc will keep you occupied for quite some time, as there is almost always a 10+ player game you can join. Plus, voice commuication (It's much better than SOCOM's voice support). Plus the fact that you can have a few guests play with you online on certain games (Mechassault, MotoGP, Unreal Championship (I think))

(And oh yeah, you might need a credit card/debit card when signing up for XBL. If you don't have one, tell your parents that you already have a free year on XBL(You get a free year when you buy a starter kit) and just need their credit card for verification, that it wont cost them any money for a year. Then, when next year rolls arounnd, just pay your parents. Don't want to pay for the next year? Call in and cancel your account)

If you answered no, get the Gamecube. Gamecube flat out rules in the single player department. End of story. Xbox has a few, but not enough to warrent buying it, in my opinion.

Ian
08-23-2003, 11:35 AM
You're gonna need a LOT of games (and the PS2) to trade in if you want all that. Half of those are new, and the others are usually at full price. I suggest finding a friend to buy your stuff off you, becuase I doubt you're gonna get ALL that stuff. Maybe about 3 or 4 of those games, depending on how many you're trading in. Though, if you liked Nintendo games so much, why'd you get a PS2?

And to tell you the truth, out of those, I'd only get SSBM, MP, TWW, and SCII. Mario Golf is good, but it's not worth buying. Neither is Mario Party 4. And you'll have to wait a while for Mario Kart to come out. In the mean time, I suggest you get F-Zero GX (that is, if you ever played it's predecessors and liked them.)