PDA

View Full Version : Dsl

idontknow
08-19-2003, 07:46 PM
i just got DSL installed on my computer & its awesome!!! i've only been on the computer for like 10 minutes so far today though & so far it seems great; i can go from one internet site to another in a jiffy--anyone else love this small wonder? (say, wasn't that the name of that old 80's show with the robot girl? :laugh:) well, anyhoo, just thought i'd share how awesome DSL internet connection is--also, i have a ? about "firewalls" that this guy told us about--how expensive are they & how affective are they? do they block viruses, pop-ups, etc.?

Pablo
08-19-2003, 08:01 PM
If you have XP, it's got a built-in firewall. It protects you from attacks on your PC via hackers, email, etc.

As for popups, either get a blocking program or just use an alternate browser (i.e. Mozilla or Opera...Mozilla's better imo) that auto-blocks popups.

Maverick_Zero
08-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Mozilla block more pop-ups, but I find it easier to close the still few pop-ups that come up in Opera.

Yeah, that show with the robot girl was weird. Small wonder...eww..sounds like a part of my body.

Anywho, congratz on the DSL man, what did you have before? 56k?

idontknow
08-19-2003, 08:56 PM
yea, i think so--now i have wow internet (as well as regular tv cable), rather than at&t, which sux as (no offense, anyone) and so far it seems pretty cool--so what does this "built-in firewall" do exactly?

Pablo
08-19-2003, 09:14 PM
so what does this "built-in firewall" do exactly?

Protects you from hackers and the like. It blocks them from accessing your PC...unless they're really advanced hackers. Professionals like them usually don't attack personal computers, though, so you don't have much to worry about. XP Firewall is usually quite effective. However, I prefer Norton Personal Firewall, as it alerts you when you're being attacked.

vegeta1215
08-20-2003, 01:28 AM
DSL, or any form of broadband, is great, but it sucks cause I can get a days worth of surfing done in like 20 minutes when I'm using DSL...then I'm bored :(

Gerudo
08-20-2003, 02:09 AM
well when yo have no life, such as myself, you can browse over and over and over... it never gets boring :D

inori
08-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Or you just find more places to surf to. :kawaii:

MasterSwordUltima
08-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Or you can come on into #SE ;)

I have DSL at my mom's place. Its really nice and convenient. I like it, and you should too. :thumbsup:

goKi
08-20-2003, 09:10 AM
My school's 2gb/s Fibre optic internet has made my slow 56k connection seem even slower.. if only i had the money to afford DSL