PDA

View Full Version : A good example of school abuse.....

Blonde799
08-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Yup, that's right. I just experienced some paralyzing back pain for the second time in two years. And the cause? School. Let me tell you why.

The books my old high school had were pretty heavy. Carrying more than one of these was a terrible ordeal on the arms, and we needed those arms for at least 7 more hours(some needed them for longer). Enter the technique of shouldering your backpack. I did this a lot. Simply because I could never carry more than 1 thick book at a time, and if I dropped it, I could very well be trampled by the student body(the hallways were so small, the entire crowd of over 180 students moved at an inch every 30 seconds;no joke). What's worse was, I had to carry more than 6 of these bad boys, so, I carried them in a back pack on my shoulder. Top that off with school supplies, like binders, folders, projects, etc., and you and your back had a serious argument.

I bet some smart asses are thinking:"Don't you guys have lockers? Use 'em." Well guess what? If you had only 5 minutes to get to your class, with the student body moving as slow as it does, and the school, with 3 floors, and the area between you, your locker, and the classroom being almost half of a football field in length, you probably wouldn't want to waste your time going to your locker. That, and people had to share lockers, and they weren't very big, so the only things you and your partner could fit in there, were your coats, and maybe four medium sized books total between the two of you.

Homework was abundant, so we had had to carry our packs almost everywhere we went, even back home. Well, as we all know, stress takes its toll in the most unexpected of times....

Nearing my most important days(exams), my back decides to take a dirt nap, as I collapsed on the welcome mat in my house. As I lay there, taking some medication, I figured out what the cause of my back pain was(and for those reading, should've figured it out a while ago). I told my teachers about it, and they would've thought as much, as they always see me with a giant backpack on my shoulders all the time. They advised me to ditch the load, take my exams early, and to study at home the next few days(to lighten my load to a single pencil). Of course, I hardly studied, but I still passed my final exams.:) To this day, I never had to worry about it. If it weren't for school of course, I wouldn't have the problem, as my back was pretty healthy. Well that little story was long wasn't it?

The moral of this story though, is to be helpful, and offer to carry someone's school stuff, if you plan to take nothing with you to school. Who knows, you may prevent a post like this from being made on another forum.:p

KJAZZ
08-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Yeah. Heavy Books suck. It's always nice when they have a class set of books available, which is usually only the case in 1-2 classes..

Blonde799
08-18-2003, 01:51 AM
A few classes allowed people to keep the books in the classroom. But, that was only because we hardly need them. Some needed to carry those books home anyway, because they didn't know what "Stop listening to your CD player!" meant.:p

Starkist
08-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Does your school let you use one of those nifty airline carryon bags that have wheels and a retractable handle?

Rainman
08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
I only had two books to worry about last year. The rest either didn't use books at all or advised us to keep the books in our locker unless otherwise noted. I have been know in the past to have overloaded backpacks. A lot of the time it's not from books, but from hundred of papers that I fail to throw out and build up over time. Last year I tried to keep it down. I even carried a book or two to lighten the load a bit.

gdorf
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Our school doesn't have lockers at all for safety reason. This combined with 7 classes of big books is incredible. Luckily, I am driving to school this year, so I can take half of my books out to the car at lunch and get the other half.

I feel bad for ya man, backpacks are horrible.

Jigglysaint
08-18-2003, 01:13 PM
You guys get back pain from THAT light a load? My backbone has evolved so that to stand upright, I need my school bag that is heavy enough. I don't get back pain though.

Blonde799
08-18-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
You guys get back pain from THAT light a load?
Not the weight, but the stress from carrying it over long periods of time(if you read the whole post, you'd know that people have to walk home from school too, since they live a mile or less from home). I could easily lift over 85 lbs., but carrying it with you, going up and down the stairs all the time? You try it.:D

Axel
08-18-2003, 03:40 PM
lucky for me my school's AP classes, despite huge books, have only 1 or 2 class periods, so the teachers have enough books for a class set. and my teachers, attempting to work at a college level, give long assignments, due by week. I pull one all nighter per class and still have 2 solid nights of sleep.
note: for those taking that literally I'll rephrase. I spend 2-3 hours working per class, and spend the remaining work-free nights suffering insomnia.

Kirby of Doom
08-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
Our school doesn't have lockers at all for safety reason.

I would think carrying backpacks around would be more of a safety hazard. ;)

Anyway, good thing I'm in college now, but last year my locker was far away from any of my classes, so from beginning to 9th period on a day I had all my classes I would carry around a

- legal aspects book
- java book
- latin book
- Princeton review Calculus book (soft cover but really big)
- hard cover Calculus book
- 2 notebooks

fortunately I was able to carry them all around without tipping over.

ShadowTiger
08-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Does your school let you use one of those nifty airline carryon bags that have wheels and a retractable handle?So we can fly our books from class to class? :laughing:

* BH4 dodges the tomatos

Just had to say it. :sweat: I had this problem too. I keep ALL of my books on my person at all times. Never collapsed though. Builds muscles. ... sorta.