PDA

View Full Version : Liberal / Conservative ?

Agamemnon
08-13-2003, 10:30 PM
First off, if you can simply label yourself "Liberal" or "Republican" or "Green", then you're political views are so manufactured and worthless that you don't deserve to express them.

I'm center-right... not very extreme in either direction. I've noticed some very religiously conservative people on here, and on the flipside have noticed quite a number of liberals. Which active member on these forums do you think is the most liberal member, politically, and likewise for conservatively?

Monica
08-13-2003, 10:40 PM
You're asking what we notice the other board members as? I have to say Axel is the most Liberal I've noticed, and for Conservative, it's a 3 way tie between Starkist, TheGeepster and fatcatfan

I, myself, am conservative (because I strongly disagree with most of the stuff Liberals agree with, and I'm a Baptist)

slothman
08-13-2003, 11:45 PM
That's why I call myself a "Liberal Republican." If you can seperate the Liberal/Conservative from the Republican/Democrat then it makes sense. Of course I voted third party in '00 so that just confuses things.
Try this quiz:
http://www.lp.org/quiz/
and here:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/

thePHeffect
08-14-2003, 12:03 AM
test

Starkist
08-14-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm a conservative who hopes for a better future...

Daarkseid
08-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by slothman
That's why I call myself a "Liberal Republican." If you can seperate the Liberal/Conservative from the Republican/Democrat then it makes sense. Of course I voted third party in '00 so that just confuses things.
Try this quiz:
http://www.lp.org/quiz/
and here:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Taking both quizzes pretty much pegged me as a libertarian.

carrot red
08-14-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Agamemnon
Which active member on these forums do you think is the most liberal member, politically, and likewise for conservatively?
Why do you ask? What difference does it make?

Conservative here.

Gerudo
08-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Centrist

Centrists favor selective government intervention and emphasize practical solutions to current problems. They tend to keep an open mind on new issues. Many centrists feel that government serves as a check on excessive liberty.

--------------

politics suck....

Brasel
08-14-2003, 07:55 AM
I belive myself to be more conservative, and the first test labeled me Authoritarian. I'm a facist. :)

zfreak2004
08-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Most tried and true, hardened, yellow-dog-democrat on the boards: C-Dawg

Card Carrying Member of the Right Wing Conspiracy: I dunno... maybe a liberal would be better at answering that...

I'm conservative through and through.

TheGeepster
08-14-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm apparently answered for already (and here I thought nobody cared. :))

Is centrist a new term for moderate? Just curious. I seemed to have heard something about the term.

We do have our share of liberal-minded people here at AGN, as well as those of conservative leanings. Maybe we could call AGN fair and balanced. We'll just have to see if it is, in fact, trademarked..

Agamemnon
08-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by carrot red

Why do you ask? What difference does it make?

Conservative here.

Just trying to get to know the regulars' views on this board... not trying to be judgemental toward anyone's particular stance.

Staying on topic... contrary to my previous thought on my own views, the first quiz yielded "According to your answers, your political philosophy is on the border of left-liberal and libertarian." Meanwhile, the second quiz scored me halfway to the left economically and slightly liberal socially.

Starkist
08-14-2003, 12:25 PM
There is really no concrete way of using these terms. In the media, what I would consider "liberal" they call "moderate". What I call "moderate" they call "conservative". While I call myself "conservative" they would call me "extreme right", "lunatic fringe", or the newest, "neo-con".

My point is that all these terms are relative.

Prrkitty
08-14-2003, 01:05 PM
They're all labels. Something people do so they can "tuck everything in it's own little corner" and organize things. If most people were honest with themselves they'd probably realize that they believe a little of all viewpoints. Not everything is totally true and neither is it false.... it just is. So why try to label things? What does it gain?

Saffith
08-14-2003, 01:14 PM
It makes it easier for people who want to have opinions, but can't be bothered to put any thought into them.

I-Man
08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
the difference between democrats and republicans is that republicans suck, and democrats blow. -Lewis Black

As for myself, I don't declare myself as one side or the other, people get too caught up with choosing a side and act like its a war between sides, I just choose a side on specific arguments, come to a conclusion using common sense, and it often turns out to be a third side, different form the opinion of "liberals" and conservatives. I say "liberals" because a lot of liberals are just conservatives in manner but with different ideals. Basically what I am saying is instead of influencing my ideas by aligning myself with others under a broad label I just approach politics open mindedly and come to my own decisions.

According to the test I am a centrist, but I'm not gonna let a multiple choice test tell me what my opinions are.;)

Sephiroth
08-15-2003, 02:48 AM
The first test said I was a Centrist, and the sacond said I was left-wing (The chart put me right in the middle of Authoritarian/Libertarian).

When I went to the section explaining the four views, I saw I didn't really agree with any of them much more than the others. So I guess I'm in the middle of the "political compass," although I agree that the labels aren't very useful.

I guess I thought I was more conservative-right than I am just because our liberal-left media is a not-so-fair-and-balanced load of crap. :shrug: