PDA

View Full Version : You get what you pay for.

Jemsee
08-12-2003, 07:13 AM
inori posted not long ago about PC problems, and not long befor that I posted a bunch of stuff that was happening to me.
For me I nearly rebilt the PC replaced nearly everything expept the case and 1.44 floppy.

I blamed all my problems on the video card I had at the time, which was a PNY Verto with a NVIDIA chip in it.
So when I ordered my new stuff I stayed away from anything nvidia and so went with ATI.
I bought a 64mb DDR ATI 7500seares, and only when I got it found out it had troubles.

In fact I spent 2 days trying to install winXP and finialy figured out it was this card preventing me.
To get XP installed I put in a different card complted install put back in the ATI card and befor it carshed installed drivers that made it work with XP.

So now for the last few days these little lines started appering on my screen. I could make them go away with a refresh but they kept coming back.
I had just DLed some stuff so at first I suspected a bug,
scann = no bug.
And this is getting worse.
It seemed to be better when I reduced the colors from 32 to 16. But it was short lived.

The thing that got me the most was the same thing was happening on the XP desktop also.
It is the same card but two different sets of drivers installed.

So tonight I tryed reinstalling the drivers in 98 and lose the whole thing, boots up to nothing but garbage like the refresh rate was set wrong. XP still worked though but still the lines haunted me.
I dig out my old Diamond Viper and put that in and what do you know...fixed. What a pain in the ass, the thing is not but two or three months old.

It was a Crucial made card with an ATI chip, and I have heard bad things about their older cards. I guess the ATI Radeons are supposed to be good, but it seems for now I am back to Nvidia.

Well that was a long and drawn out story. :blah:

The Savior
08-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear that you got everything sorted. For a point a referance, there's nothing wrong with nVidia's cards, but PNY is a crappy company. There's also nothing wrong with the drivers for current-generation ATI cards.

Jemsee
08-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by The Savior
Glad to hear that you got everything sorted. For a point a referance, there's nothing wrong with nVidia's cards, but PNY is a crappy company. There's also nothing wrong with the drivers for current-generation ATI cards.

There may not be anything wrong with eather nVidia or ATI unless you are having problems, then everything sucks even your cat and dog.
It was not a driver problem, the actual card went bad and only a few months old, must have been a lemon. :shrug:
The funny thing is this 16mb agp card is doing everything the 64bit card did.
All my games still work ok, I wonder if bigger always is better?

gdorf
08-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Do you have anything installed that will tell the temperature inside your computer? I would suggest downloading motherboard monitor and seeing what they are. A very warm computer can kill computer parts pretty fast.

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out though :)

Jemsee
08-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
Do you have anything installed that will tell the temperature inside your computer? I would suggest downloading motherboard monitor and seeing what they are. A very warm computer can kill computer parts pretty fast.

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out though :)

Yes I had a monitor with my old MB and my new one comes with it but you can only see it at startup by going in the bios thingy.
They offer one for DL at their website but when I tryed to install it XP had a fit, so I never messed with it.
As for cooling I leave the side cover of my case off and have a small 6 inch desk fan blowing over it, I assume that is keeping it cool enough.
Plus it is an aircondtioned room.
And thanks. It is always a trip when things start to go wrong and I am able to work them out by myself.