PDA

View Full Version : .....

masamune182
08-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark, or the man afraid of the light?

DarkPanther
08-08-2003, 08:08 PM
The man afraid of the light.

...if he could be called a man.

Daarkseid
08-08-2003, 08:10 PM
I hate and fear the light, and I could hardly be called a man. I think DP is onto something.

masamune182
08-08-2003, 08:14 PM
thank for your thoughts......

Jigglysaint
08-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Certain the man is more afraid of the light. A good case is when people end up shunning good works and chances to hone their skills in lieu of more worldy pleasures.

TheGeepster
08-08-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm so tempted to post something in the first chapter of John.

The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

But that understanding of light is probably different that what you probably meant, masamune.

I-Man
08-08-2003, 11:46 PM
There is no darkness, only absence of light...:cool:

Mitsukara
08-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Any man who fears da light has to go through me, 'cuz the light is right and if yo ain't down with that then I gonna whoop yo!! The child that be afraid of the dark be right because the monsters gonna come eat him because the monsters are evil children-eatin fools! But now the man dat fear da light, he just a dumass!! Indubitably so.

Rainman
08-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Still, the child is quite foolish to be frightened of the dark. In fact childishness is marked by constant foolishness. The man perhaps knows of things that will make him frightened of the light.

I-Man
08-09-2003, 12:30 AM
The child knows not why he fears the dark, but the man knows why he fears the light? But the Man also knows he is being foolish, while the child is acting on instinct and innocence.

MasterSwordUltima
08-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Being afraid of the dark is being ignorant, which children are often portrayed as. You don't know what is out there, and are afraid that it might want to harm you. Normal human instincts tell us that nothing good comes from what we don't understand. But the man who is afraid of the light, obviously knows the harm that can come to him. So both sides are rather equal. Knowing that there is something out there that can hurt you, and not knowing if there is or isn't something out there are both frightening.

Master Ghaleon
08-09-2003, 02:24 AM
The child that is afraid of the darkness. Darkness is your friend

Jemsee
08-09-2003, 09:45 AM
The darkness wrapped around him like a well worn blanket as he settled in for a peaceful night.

The cold stabbing light blinded him to tears and was painful as if a knife was being driven into his skull.

-----------------------------

The darkness descended like the lid of a tomb being placed for the last time.

The light warmed his face and dried his tears, and the hint of a smile appeared.

-----------------------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series
-------------------------------
I believe it to be a matter of perspective.

TheGeepster
08-10-2003, 12:38 AM
The fear of darkness is fear of the unknown of sorts. I'm not sure what the fear of light would stem from..

SSJ3500
08-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by I-Man
The child knows not why he fears the dark, but the man knows why he fears the light? But the Man also knows he is being foolish, while the child is acting on instinct and innocence.

Actually, Children have bigger imaginations. So when they see the dark they see a blank space. They know that there is something in that space (A closet, room, door, etc) but they since they have more wild imaginations. They think of what else could be there that they can't see, even something extremely unbelievable can become something horribly scary in their mind, even if they know how unbelievable it is. As a child becomes older they start to see the logical side of more stuff, hence why they no longer fear the dark. Then again, it could be a phobia.

As for the question, a man has no reason to fear the light (Unless he thinks he's dead.), but a child has reason to fear the dark.

TheGeepster
08-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Actually, I did come up with a reason to fear the light. It reveals that which it touches.

A man's fear of light may stem from a man's fear of being discovered for what he really is, or what he thinks he is. Just a theory though. I never really heard of this being a big phobia.

I-Man
08-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Maybe its supposed to symbolize the afterlife or death, like the people that say they see a light before they die.

MANDRAG GANON
08-13-2003, 12:24 PM
The Teenager afraid of the Dusk