PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to annouce new "Game product"

AlexMax
08-07-2003, 09:36 PM
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=2051

Nintendo to announce "new game product" in spring

Tom Bramwell 08:45 07/08/2003
GameCube successor?

Nintendo will reveal details of a "new game product" in spring next year, president Satoru Iwata has told a Japanese news conference while discussing the Kyoto-based firm's ongoing business strategy.

This would tie in with what he told Reuters earlier this year about launching a next-generation console in 2005 or 2006, and perhaps even with recent development rumours that suggested the console could be ready by spring 2005.

However it is possible that this is not the mythical N5 console at all, and in fact some other form of device. The fact that Iwata-san has spoken of a "successor to GameCube" in the past and reportedly did not do so on this occasion could be significant.

He also reportedly told the news conference on Thursday that Nintendo will introduce a loyalty points scheme similar to air miles, in which consumers accumulate points buying Nintendo products.

This sounds similar to the Stars system currently at work here in Europe, whereby punters accumulate points by typing a unique code bundled with software and hardware into the Nintendo-Europe.com website. Each code adds a certain amount of points, as do other pro-Nintendo activities like browsing the website or using its discussion forum, and points can be traded for baubles like screensavers, wallpapers and iron-on T-shirt transfers.

Previously it had been possible to swap Stars for physical games and hardware (such as the WaveBird wireless controller), but that option was removed recently without explanation

Let the speculation begin...

In other news, there are a bunch of new Nintendo games in development

http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Read%20News&id=3789&gameid=2049&format=000008

Such as a new Donkey Kong made by (surprise) Namco. Also, there is going to be a sequel to Wario Ware Inc. that will be on the gamecube. Which, fankly, I can't friggin wait for. Wario Ware was just too cool of a game.

Rijuhn
08-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Hmm...this news is mysterious, like a lot of Nintendo's news tidbits are, and very tatalizing. I'm in dire need of some kick ass RPGs for my GCN.

Gerudo
08-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Wario Ware sucked ass, imo...

other bits: GC2 and GBA2? very sweet indeed... but they've only been out for a couple years, i thinks its too soon.. :shrug:

heh, i cant wait for another decent DK/Mario/Zelda game...

TheGeepster
08-07-2003, 11:22 PM
My understanding is that Wario Ware was designed for folks who are easily amused, and not as a product for serious gamers. not sure why they'd release anything like that, but sometimes the simple things can keep you occupied better than the complex.

gameguy032
08-08-2003, 02:22 AM
I agree with Gerudo on this. It's too soon for a new system already. Or at least for me it is. I just got my GameCube this Christmas. It is interesting to say the least. Perhaps some huge add-on to it? The same thing can be said for the GameBoy Advance. They released the SP form of it not that long ago, so I don't think they'll be doing anything new in that area. And because the GameBoy Player is new, there shouldn't be a new portable system.

Gerudo
08-08-2003, 04:25 AM
i must have inadvertantely skipped over a piece there, looks like it'll be '05 before we see anything... my bad...

2005 would be perfect, because then the GC/GBA would have been out for 5 years...

Aegis Runestone
08-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
I'm in dire need of some kick ass RPGs for my GCN.

Maybe we should push Square to make an FF7 remake for GCN(using better models). :)

Ian
08-08-2003, 04:04 PM
I can't really think of what it could be. Maybe it is just the new GCN, but I hope it isn't. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not against another GCN, but it's already been announced, but if this thing is new, it's 2 things to look forward to instead of 1.