PDA

View Full Version : Question?

PrfectGREG
08-07-2003, 01:26 AM
What would you do if you found someones cell phone?

NaFe
08-07-2003, 01:28 AM
The most sensible thing would probably be to ring some people in the phone book on their phone to find out who it is, but knowing me, i'd probably make a few calls to some certain adult phone lines lol

PrfectGREG
08-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Lets say you did use it, and you used it alot and ran up a large bill for the poor sap. Could they track it down some how and get you in trouble.

Or is there a way to make the phone like completely new and get your own plan fot it?

Edit: not that I did that, I foudn one and dont know what to do with it!

Tsukuru
08-07-2003, 01:36 AM
I doubt you'd be able to get a new plan for it without the phone company and the original owner knowing you have. Each one is identified with the company.

Starkist
08-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Call the first number in the address book and ask whose phone it is. :tongue:

Ganonator
08-07-2003, 01:45 AM
this has happened before to me, but it was at the Y.. i just returned it to the front desk and let them deal with it :shrug:

Trevelyan_06
08-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Look in the saved phone numbers to see if maybe the person has one marked home. Call it and tell them you have thier phone and will return it, for one million dollars!!!

PrfectGREG
08-07-2003, 01:59 AM
I would have given it to someone but it was under a bench on a street side. So I bagged it up. I may keep it for free games and 911 calls. Or I can go to a pawn shop.

btw I found it on vacation in maine, and i live in New York...

just an fyi!

stormwatcheagle
08-07-2003, 02:43 AM
give it to the cops. they'll just sell it at auction.

carrot red
08-07-2003, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't keep it. Just get rid of it somehow.

Starkist
08-07-2003, 03:27 AM
If anyone ever took my phone I would keep calling it over and over....

Drunken Tiger
08-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Take the SIM card out and break it, flushing it down the toilets and then depending on what phone it is.. sell it.. :shrug:

moocow
08-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by PrfectGREG
I would have given it to someone but it was under a bench on a street side. So I bagged it up. I may keep it for free games and 911 calls. Or I can go to a pawn shop.

btw I found it on vacation in maine, and i live in New York...

just an fyi!
That wouldn't last for long... I'm sure that once the owner realizes that his/her phone is lost, they're going to get ahold of their phone company and get it shut off... unless it's prepaid, then you've got a couple dollars of free minutes, but it won't last long...

DarkPanther
08-07-2003, 12:21 PM
If the owner hasn't deactivated it already, they deserve to have the hell used out of it.

My girl and I have a shared account, and her $500 phone got stolen in Tampa about three days after she got it. Within 15 minutes of the robbery, I had the phone tagged as stolen and a police report on it. If you do get it reactivated, you're completely screwed, especially if it's got the original SIM card in it (if it takes them).

You could however remove the SIM card and screw up the phone's ID beyond recognition (if you know how) and resell it or use it. But even that's a little risky.

To answer your initial question:

I would call any numbers listed as "Home" first. If there weren't any, I'd take it to the nearest official carrier and drop it off for them to ID and return to their customer. They can ship it back to the nearest retail store where the person lives then.

....that or I'd look up the phone's number in its directory, call it, see who answers, and then give it to them.

Mitsukara
08-07-2003, 12:32 PM
I would bend over, pick up the phone, look at it, and then I would get shot by the owner immediately because they're some sort of mafia/gangster/other criminal who was just then coming back to get the phone and, since I'd found it, felt it neccesary to eliminate me. Then I would die and they would set fire to my body (to eliminate the evidence) while they got the heck out of there.

TheGeepster
08-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Discover who the phone belongs to and find a way to get it back to them. Barring that I would turn it into the facility where I found it, especially if it was the kind of place that people come back to frequently (like a gym).

Calling the top number, or searching for a home number sounds like one of the best options.

Jemsee
08-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Discover who the phone belongs to and find a way to get it back to them.

Yep, that's what I would do too.

PrfectGREG
08-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I just called them and got there address... no more phone for me :-(