PDA

View Full Version : hooking a console up to a computer

Grasshopper
08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Exactly how do you do it? I want to hook systems up to my computer so I can use my monitor instead of my small TV.

Flash Man
08-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Either get a VGA Converter for the console, or you need some form of Video In on your computer, usually in Video Cards and TV Tuners. All In Wonders have them, and you can also buy other cards to get them. If you don't want to get something for your computer just buy a VGA Converter or something for the specific console.

http://www.newegg.com/

Check out there for any of the computer stuff.

Grasshopper
08-06-2003, 12:23 PM
I have this s-video to component adaptor that came with my radeon 9700... thats not for anything is it? Because it lets me plug the video part of AV cable to my computer. Thats just for TV out isn't it? I can plug a VCR into it says

Mak-X
08-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Check your manual or your card, if it says TV IN, then you can plug video into it. Most video cards I think have a TV out with S-Video, and if they have TV IN, there's usually a second S-Video connection for input.

If your looking for a video capture card to compliment your video card to play games on your computer, avoid the ATI TV Wonder VE, the quality is awful.
I hear that Hauppauge video capture/tv tuner cards are very good, and that you'd want to get a card that has S-Video in for best quality. http://www.hauppauge.com

www.dscaler.org for a good free tv viewer

A video capture card also requires a open PCI slot. A plus about getting a tv tuner is that you can take screenshots from console games, or anything like TV or VHS tapes.

Grasshopper
08-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Ah, so a All-In-Wonder would be cool too. PC Gamer gave the newest ATI wonder a 94% but the price...is not. ;) But even though I did want to take screenshots of my games, playing them would be just as good, and I haven't had this card for over 8 months yet, don't want to fork out another $300-$400. Besides, its just more comfortable playing video games in front of my computer than on my hard floor up in front of a tiny tv with nothing to sit on. :laughing: