PDA

View Full Version : "Whats your 'boggle'?"

obi
08-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Sorry about the demolition man qute, seemed appropiate :D

I went to the Opticians the other day, turns out, I have a calsssic case of untreated Amblyopia in my left eye.

Technical Meaning -

From this page (http://www.strabismus.org/amblyopia_lazy_eye.html)
What is Amblyopia (lazy eye)?
Amblyopia, commonly known as lazy eye, is the eye condition noted by reduced vision not correctable by glasses or contact lenses and is not due to any eye disease. The brain, for some reason, does not fully acknowledge the images seen by the amblyopic eye. This almost always affects only one eye but may manifest with reduction of vision in both eyes. It is estimated that three percent of children under six have some form of amblyopia.

Simple meaning - I cant see for shit with my left eye =/
Aren't eye lucky?

I also read that -

Causes of amblyopia
Both eyes must receive clear images during the critical period. Anything that interferes with clear vision in either eye during the critical period (birth to 6 years of age) will result in amblyopia (a reduction in vision not corrected by glasses or elimination of an eye turn). The most common causes of amblyopia are strabismus (constant turn of one eye), anisometropia (different prescriptions in each eye), and/or blockage of an eye due to trauma, lid droop, etc. If one eye sees clearly and the other sees a blur, the good eye will inhibit (block, suppress, ignore) the eye with a blur. Thus, amblyopia is a neurologically active process. This inhibition results in a permanent decrease in the vision in that eye that is not corrected just with glasses.

I haven't got any of the other medical conditions like 'strabismus' so does this mean I can blame this on my family :D

Edit - oh for the record, I havent used glasses, contacts etc, ever in my life.

Ich
08-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Do you have to wear an eyepatch? I think that's one of the general treatments for Lazy Eye. You can go around saying "Arrgh, me mateys!" and if someone asks why, just say that you just saw "Pirates of the Carribean" and have decided that you want to be a pirate.

Ian
08-04-2003, 11:04 AM
I have "lazy eye" in my right eye, therefore, I've had glasses since I was 4. That article is right though, my left eye seems to take over much more of my vision, so when I close my right eye, there's not much difference. Even with glasses, most stuff is a blur with my left eye closed, and is worse without glasses on.

Welcome, to the blurry side :p

EDIT: Eye patches blow, and don't work at all. I had to wear one for six months for 2 hours a day, and it didn't help one bit. They're supposed to help your bad eye to take over more so your good eye doesn't do everything.

obi
08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
Do you have to wear an eyepatch? I think that's one of the general treatments for Lazy Eye. You can go around saying "Arrgh, me mateys!" and if someone asks why, just say that you just saw "Pirates of the Carribean" and have decided that you want to be a pirate.

Well, if they had realised that i had this condition when i was young, i could have, but for some reason i 'slipped' from their grasp. Last time i went to an opticians (not including the otherday) was years ago, they said i had a lazy eye and that it would pass and they did nothing more.

Shit, I missed out on a cool eyepatch :(
But from what i hear from Ian, i didnt miss much, and my eyesight seems fine wiht just my right eye...

I just gotta keep my right eye safe - I guess i should really wear safety goggles in chemistry for now on eh? :p

Master Ghaleon
08-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Posted by Obi - "Shit, I missed out on a cool eyepatch"

I know you could of been a pirate :pirate: ARRR

inori
08-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Do they actually let you in the lab without safety goggles?

I have a friend who's basically legally blind in one eye. He does fine with the other, except that he doesn't have depth perception. It's funny to throw something to him and watch him try to catch it. :kawaii:

deathbyhokie
08-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by inori
I have a friend who's basically legally blind in one eye. He does fine with the other, except that he doesn't have depth perception. It's funny to throw something to him and watch him try to catch it. :kawaii:

one of my friends has the same thing. although he still manages to play tennis. how, i don't know

carrot red
08-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Cook us an obi with an eye patch. :pirate:

Nothing could be done about that now. It's too late like you've been already told.
A girl at my school used to wear an eye patch for a lot more than two hours a day, but I don't know if it did her any good.

obi
08-04-2003, 03:47 PM
I should photoshop some patches to some of my old photos and see what i would look like :p

one thing going through my head right now is that I think the worst part of this is when my I told my parents - they said, "you never mentioned anything about it before"
And that really pisses me off as I have talked about not being able to see clearly with my left eye fuckloads of times before and I just stoped talking about it becasue no-one seemed to care much - when i told them that, they wouldnt believe that i had talked about it before until my aunt told them i had (I was talking opticians with her and the subject of my eyesight popped up).

One good thing is though you realise how stupid somone is when they ask you a question and you think "you must be completely retarded for asking me that". Its suprising how many people have asked me "whats it like seeing with only one eye"
How am i supposed to know what its like seeing with one eye when i have nothing to compare it with. As far as im concerned seeing dominantly with one eye is normal, its how I've alwasys seen and alwasy will see. I can still read, write, pick up things, throw them at you, and punch you with quite good accuracy....
No wait, thats not a good thing, it proves I live with retards :sweat:

Sorry about ranting there.