PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate History of Video Games

jman2050
08-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Get this book. That is all.

Seriously though, I read through this book (which I got so conviniently through my local library :D ) and it is one of the best things I've read in a while. It was written by Steven Kent, who basically writes about video games in newspapers for a living. Anyways, there is a heavy emphasis on industry leader quotes, everyboy from Nolan Bushnell (little known fact: after being fired from Atari, he founded Chuck E. Cheese) to Yuji Naka (other little known fact: 'The' is Sonic's registered middle name) all the way to Minoru Arakawa, the man behind NOA. It covers everything from coin-op mochines of the 1940's to the Playstation 2 launch (it was written in 2000-2001, so sadly 2 years of histroy are missing... not like it matters since it really isn't history yet). This is definitely a good read for ANYBODY who likes video games, and contains so many good nuggets of information (final little known fact: Mario's name was Jumpman in the original coin-op version of Donkey Kong) that it will make you read all 600 pages in the blink of an eye. As I said earlier, read this book. That is all :)

King
08-09-2003, 04:06 PM
I agree. Easily a must-have book!

Brasel
08-09-2003, 04:17 PM
I think we have it at Wal-Mart. Or did anyway, I'm not sure if we still do. I wanted to pick it up, but it was kind of expensive for me at the time.