PDA

View Full Version : Auto Maintence.

Trevelyan_06
08-02-2003, 02:11 PM
I just got done changing the oil on my car. I'm getting ready to go clean it. Many of my friends don't really do either of these. Most take thier cars to a shop to change the oil, I know what the arguements for doing so are but I prefer to change my own oil and I'm proud that I know how. As for cleaning the cars many just spray it off and seldom wax it. I like to hand clean it and give it a good coat of wax. By doing these things I think it really helps to maintain the car's appreance and performance.

How many of you change your own oil and clean you car obessively like me?

BTW: I'm also one of those people who HAS to change his oil before 3,000 miles are up.

moocow
08-02-2003, 02:18 PM
My friends wash their cars like, 3 times a week. Aaron will literally get down and scrub his 80 spoke rims... it's hilarious. I guess it makes sense, cause they're putting their cars in car shows, but it's so funny to see this skinny 16 year old kid down on his hands and knees scrubbing his rims. I've never really been around when Tyler has washed his car, but I know he does it often.

As for me, I just got my oil changed two months ago for the first time in like, 2 years. I didn't do it, but Tyler did it for me. All I had to do was buy him soda to drink. :thumbsup:

Master Ghaleon
08-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Man speaking about oil changes, I need one very soon. I just take it to the Gas station near my work. Its around 20 dollars to get it changes and all the fluids looked at and replaced.

Maverick_Zero
08-02-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't have car, but I know how to change the oil on a car. Although I only did it once. And I wash my parents cars for allowance and such.

DarkPanther
08-02-2003, 04:27 PM
I always know how many miles it is to my next oil change at any given time and if I don't wash it myself by hand, I go to a place that has a crew do it by hand. I always do the interior myself though. I'm not at all obsessed with my car, but I do enjoy havin' a nice ride.

You got any pics?

~cydlet~
08-02-2003, 06:35 PM
funny you should ask... i just last night learned how to change the oil in my car. prior to that, the closets i've ever come to doing any sort of engine maintenance myself is checking the oil. i've always either taken it to the dealership or quick-lube place, or paid my dad or brother to do it.

it wasn't too terribly hard. i'll probably do it myself again next time.

inori
08-02-2003, 08:26 PM
I would change the oil in my own car, but I really don't have anywhere to do it. :shrug: Maybe when I get back to Kansas.

Trevelyan_06
08-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Master Ghaleon
Man speaking about oil changes, I need one very soon. I just take it to the Gas station near my work. Its around 20 dollars to get it changes and all the fluids looked at and replaced.

Just be careful if they tell you they added fluid to your tranmission or brake system. Both of these are sealed system and should almost never need any filling unless there is a leak somewhere in the system. If you add too much fluid to either one of these systems in will break them.

Gerudo
08-02-2003, 08:46 PM
one of these days i will learn :shrug:

i think my truck need to replace my back brakes before an oil change tho :thumbsup: (i only have front brakes in my truck)

TheGeepster
08-04-2003, 07:16 PM
I tend to be too lax on car maintenance.