PDA

View Full Version : What is EverQuest like?

Monica
08-01-2003, 11:15 PM
I absolutely love RPGs, but after seeing all the reports and stuff about people getting completely and utterly addicted to EverQuest, my mom says I can NEVER get that game. I accept it because I know I am easily addicted to video games and I play longer than I should on the ones I really love, and since I have glaucoma my eyes get really red if I play too much at a time. But that is the only game she's forbidden me to play. :) (although whenever I buy an RPG she asks if it has an end since Everquest, being an MMORPG, doesn't have an end)

I am still rather sad though and I would still like to know about it. What do you do in it? What kind of charecters are there? (esp female) She heard that people stay addicted because there is no way to save your game and so you have to keep it on all the time, is that true?

Has anyone ever forbidden you to play a certain game?

SiliconHero
08-01-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't know too much about Everquest, because I've never played it. A lot of my (Internet) friends tell me it's hella addictive, so they've taken to calling it "EverCrack". Once you start, you'll start fiending for more. I don't quite know how Sony does it...

The Savior
08-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by SiliconHero
I don't quite know how Sony does it... Sony doesn't do it, Verent (Verant? I'm not entirely sure) does.

You mom was mislead when somebody told her that it had to be kept on all the time.

Maverick_Zero
08-02-2003, 12:12 AM
It's Verant, sony just provides the big $$$ to run the servers and such.

No it isn't kept on all the time. And if you get the newest version, and somethign my brother downloaded without me asking it will be harder to be totally immersed since you can run it in a window and use other programs. Although I stopped playing (for the last time) a year ago. I must say it was awfully cool. I played on Vallon Zek, one of the 3, or is it 4 now, pvp servers. I quit a month or so before Plains of Power came out and got every expansion before it. Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, and Shadows of Luclin. It is a pretty amazing experience. Just all the places you can go, all the people to meet. And you can roleplay however much you want. You can be extreme and not work with a necromancer if you're a cleric. Or just act all normal, and not uptight, and anywhere inbetween. And trust me, it has an end. Although not a typical end. If you're up in the mid to high 50s or lvl 60, and you have your epic weapon. (A weapon which takes a gigantic quest to do) There is little else for you, besides fighting on the planes (places where the gods lives) and god and major dragon slaying (Nagafen).

You're not missing that much, but tell you're mom to lighten up a little, and ask her about EQ 2 since that is coming out soon, and is supposed to be much better. And she could play it too. Heh, yeah right. My parents tried to play once. Failed Miserably. :(

And the game is autosaved. When you log off, it takes a few seconds, your characters stats are saved on your computer, sent to the verant or sony database, saved there, and then deleted on your computer so it cannot be tampered with.

Brasel
08-02-2003, 12:37 AM
I'd forbidden myself from any MMORPG like EverQuest, pretty much because I KNOW I'll get addicted...badly.

linkofzelda1
08-02-2003, 12:50 AM
I've played it, and let me tell you Asheron's Call is MUCH worse (worse meaning it's easier to get addicted to!). AC is really a game for one with no life, like me. EQ is basically the same thing, except it's not as fun, to me at least.

Monica
08-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Ahhh that sounds cool. It sounds a lot like The World from .hack :) Well at least I can play .hack, even though it's only pretending to be online, it's the best, and as close to EQ as I can get. :)

Maverick_Zero
08-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but a difference is that in .hack, hacking is commonplace. In EQ you hack, you'll probably get caught by the GM's or DM's I forget whatt they call them. And get your ass banned from that server, if not banned completely, and the might even delete your account. (Which is bad since a cd can only make one account to prevent privacy and such)