PDA

View Full Version : A twin block, braces, and then a retainer.

EWild
08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Well, my teeth are pretty white, and nice. But I have on big drawback. I have a big overbite which is causing my lower teeth not to come out all the way.

So in about a month, right before school, I'm getting a device called a "twin block" (http://www.realkfo.de/images/Twinblock.jpg) put into my mouth. No, mine's not gonna be that colourful, but I am going to have to wear pretty much 24/7.

And then in about 12 months, I'm going to need to wear braces, on top and bottom, for about a year.

And finally, I'm going to need to wear a retainer for about a year.

And I'm just curious if anyone has had to wear a "twin block" or a retainer, because I have friends with braces, and they aren't my major concern. Not that I'm scared or anything, just curious to how it feels with it on etc. :)

:ooh:

deathbyhokie
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
i think i'm supposed to still be wearing a retainer. i got mine afte my braces came off.

CoolestNameEver
08-01-2003, 11:19 AM
I've never worn a twin block, but I have had braces and I'm supposed to wear a retainer. Braces are no big deal, you just can't eat certain foods for a while. I always took my retainer out when I ate, but I'm not sure I was supposed to do that. Anyway, now I only have to wear my retainer at night.

Pablo
08-01-2003, 01:28 PM
I got braces a month ago, and today I got an expander. Supposedly my lower jaw is wider than my upper, and that screws things up. I have to have the expander for 4-6 months, and the braces for around two years. They're annoying as hell...still haven't gotten used to them.

What does a retainer feel like, anyway? Sort of like braces?

Majin_Tobias
08-01-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't even know what a retainer _is_.

War Lord
08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
I had braces and am supposed to be wearing a retainer.
Don't believe that bullshit about not eating certain foods. I ate whatever I wanted to and never had a problem. I only broke one bracket the entire time I had braces and it didn't happen while I was eating. I think I'm supposed to be wearing my retainer still at night. *shrugs*

linkofzelda1
08-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CoolestNameEver
you just can't eat certain foods for a while

Yeah right. I can eat anything with mine, and so far the only thing strong enough to break them are Corn Nuts. I've only had 1 break, not including the one where the orthodontist screwed up the glue on one of my brackets.

They are annoying more than limiting. Every time I eat meat products, i have to spend five minutes afterward scraping the crap out of my braces with a toothpick. It sucks.

I'm about halfway through them, though. Hurray.

yaakov_is_geh
08-02-2003, 08:10 AM
I had to wear a retainer for abut 2 years. I had to take it out when i ate. When i was wearing my retainer my mouth got really dry so i always had to have a whole bunch of sylyvia in my mouth. It got really annoying so i stopped wearing it and i told the dentist that i wore it all the time

SiliconHero
08-02-2003, 08:39 AM
My teeth are misaligned, and my dentists keep telling me to get braces. I wanna try out that InvisAlign system, but I don't have the money to pay for it at the time. The prospect of having to wear braces has always creeped me out.

moocow
08-02-2003, 02:54 PM
I wore a retainer from the 3rd grade until the 5th grade, I think. I had to have it on my bottom teeth, cause two of my teeth overlapped each other, and it wasn't major enough for braces...

But, a few years ago I was supposed to have oral surgery done to have a baby tooth removed and pull my adult tooth down. On the top left side of my mouth, I have an adult tooth that is sideways up in my gums, so it can't come down. I guess I'll have pains in the future with it, they say. We couldn't afford the surgery, so I never had it done.

Lately, my teeth on the left side have been hurting, but mom says it's probably my wisdom teeth, cause they haven't came in yet :(