PDA

View Full Version : my comp is soo fucked up!

idontknow
07-31-2003, 09:46 PM
ahh! i just wanta rant on how fucked up my computer is & i'm wondering if anybody else has the same problem--i have a gateway 2000 windows xp pro--well, first off, whenever someone got on the internet, an error message would automatically come up & then they'd be booted off internet explorer (at&t) so my mom erased lots of shit, including kazaa--well, now it doesn't seem to happen (or at least not as much)--i tried to convince her that kazaa wasn't the problem but maybe it was--now i'm no longer allowed to use kazaa or d/l music anymore; plus, kazaa only worked once in a blue moon anyway--90% of the time it would freeze when i connect to it

well, thats only part of the probs i've had--most of the time, the computer reads that it has btwn 80-100% of the cpu usage whenever i press ctrl+alt+delete, which is quite often cuz i need to log off pop ups that i can't close otherwise or that freeze on me--also, many times when at least two ppl use aim+ at once, the computer freezes up and i am forced to restart--Ah!

finally, there's a message that ALWAYS pop-ups reading something like "could not download the application" and you click ok--i'm assuming somebody tried D/Ling something but couldn't and i don't know what it is & i don't even care but how could i get rid of this so that it doesn't pop up EVERY single time a person logs on!

ahh! so..
...to recap, here's the following probs w/ my comp (which is a family one):
1. runs too slow much of the time
2. internet explorer automatically closes
3. kazaa freezes & fucks things up
4. cpu usage way too high (even when not doing anything or doing very little)
5. way too many pop ups!!!
6. aim/aim+ sometimes causes computer to freeze completely
7. "could not download the application" message

Gerudo
07-31-2003, 10:02 PM
last time my comp ran as slow as molasses, and fucked up constantly, i had a virus, so check for that, one thing you might want to do is, if possible, backup your important files and re-do your comp... im sure gateway either has a restore disk or an internal untility for that... not sure, but only restore as a last resort... do the virus scan and post the results..

also wait for others to post here...

edit: the popups are because you have spyware on your comp, get ad-aware and run it...

www.lavasoft.de i beleive...

here is a separate download page (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,00.asp)

Ian
07-31-2003, 10:09 PM
I got Spy Ware: Search and Destroy for getting rid of spyware. You also might want to try defragging your computer and reformatting. Another problem might be casue it's a Gateway, I always had problems with them.

MDjunkie
07-31-2003, 10:39 PM
ahh! i just wanta rant

The first line of GB's description reads:

Rants go here.

Other than that, I'd agree with the other posts.

idontknow
07-31-2003, 10:49 PM
haha...really..ok, well i've tried the programs that supposedly rid of spyware but they don't seem to do anything, or just make matters worse--whats the BEST program for gettin rid of pop-ups and spyware? also, how do i scan for viruses? via a program or something? we had norton anti-virus but for some reason, somebody deleted it!!! ah! so how do i check for viruses?

Selah
07-31-2003, 11:11 PM
norton antivirus. you should have it on there. just do a search. if there is no virus then its a memory problem and or you need to defrag and delet some useless stuff.

Breaker
08-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by MDjunkie

The first line of GB's description reads:

Other than that, I'd agree with the other posts.

Do you need to be told what 'General' means in 'General Discussion'? It's a light rant if anything and he's asking for help. Pretend to play moderator on another forum.