PDA

View Full Version : Test your comprehension

Majin_Tobias
07-31-2003, 06:48 PM
You'll need to dedicate strongly. This is lawyer work. You will be given a list of five suspect profiles to scan manually. Your objective is to find the true thief.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A good-size story)

Find the Missing Page Thief

A bounty hunter was hired by a library manager, Morzat, in the city to clear up some confusion of the most valuable book in their library having ripped pages out of it. Most people do not care of this matter. However, Morzat explains that this book has a history that is no where else. This information is priceless & must be returned immediately.

The bounty hunter was informed that 5 people are kept upstairs, and was sure that one of them has stolen the pages. None had it on them, but Morzat was positive. Upon explanation, these people were the ones in the library that day & these people should be interviewed.

Here is the information of the five prime suspects retained. This is their personal information, their personal rant & interview:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspect 1: Yonan
Appearance: child
Details: a regular at the library / a little nerd
Details from Morzat: A hard-working kid & promising student

Quoted rant: "How can anyone consider me a suspect in the theft of pages? I'm a regular. Why would I need to do such a thing?! I'm too busy w/ scheduled studying to look at illustrated books. I'd never take the time to READ a illustrated HISTORY book. I don't need a picture of a princess & her retainers. What? Do you think I'm illiterate? Good God hunter! This is all complete nonsense."

Alibi: "When I entered the library, there was a guy that looked like a gang member. He was really anxious about something. When I left, I walked past the assistant manager, Mular. I remember because he had a strange look on his face....I found it weird. The whole time, I did not see the monk whatsoever."

Suspect 2: Culpuni
Appearance: young adult
Details: Mostly interested in law books & codes / in law school
Details from Morzat: He's such a normal, serious student; extremely polite

Quoted rant: "I'm a law school student. I know not why I am even being held here. I'm not interested in history documents enough to want to take them with me anyway. Whould why I do that?"

Abili: "When I arrived at the library, I passed that scary-looking gang member, Gants. I think. I remember he was staring at me. It freaked me out. I also bumped into someone when I left, but I have a hard to recalling who that was. I know I did not see Yonan. That was very strange because he's a regular & I didn't see him at all. You KNOW, that seems even MORE suspicious."

Suspect 3: Gants
Details: a gang member, dressed very sloppy, & is an occasional visitor. Stops by in a hurry, reads something & leaves.
Details from Morzat: Very strange guy, he's the only one we don't know of where he lives. However, it would be hasty to judge because of only his appearance.

Quoted rant: How long will they keep us in the crappy ass joint? Come on! What the hell? I ain't no damn suspect! Why are people always judging my ass without knowing me? What? I'm not allowed to go to the library now? I bet none of these bitches in this room with me know my real name. This is god damned ridiculous. Believe it or not, I am a quiet person that likes to read!!"

Alibi: "When I got to the library, I passed that annoying kid. I also passed someone when I left, but I don't remember who. I am damn sure I didn't pass that buff monk. Those guys instantly scare the shit out of me; so I would have remembered that."

Suspect 4: Silva
Appearance: Intimidating, buff, middle-age adult
Details: a very dedicative monk to the local temple. He was extremely cooperative in this turmoil.
Details from Morzat: I believe they have an oath about not tampering with history records, especially near-extinct records.

Quoted rant: "As a monk of my temple, we hold these books & documents in high regard. We protect them too. Ask yourself, hunter, since we value them so greatly, why would a monk deface even one book by removing pages? I swear on the archmonk of our temple that I am innocent."

Alibi: "When I got to the library, it was closed. That was strange, because usually the librarian is here before I am. The manager opened the door instead & let me in. I remember Morzat had red eyes. He must have been studying all night. When I left the library, I passed another person, but I don't know who it was. I don't recall seeing the one that looks like a gang member."

Suspect 5: Mular
Appearance: middle-age man
Details: very, very late in showing up to the library that day. He is secluded & questionable - hiding personal information
Details from Morzat: Even with his status here, he too has to be interrogated.

Quoted rant: "Its true that as a librarian, I had easy access to the book in question. But I've been a librarian for years here. Why would I wait until now to steal pages from the books? It doesn't make sense. I think its that Gants guy. I heard he is hard up for cash. Did he tell you that, bounty hunter? He does not even know how to READ. He was "reading" books upside-down. He's the guy you should be talking to; not me."

Alibi: "I was late to the library because I had to attend to business affairs, so I wasn't here to open the library on time. What...? What was my business? Well... I can't really say....here. Its kinda....personal. But, I swear it has nothing to do with the case. I took a lot longer than I expected, so when I got here, it was nearly closing time. I looked around to make sure everything was okay, and bumped into someone. It was not Gants, I don't remember who it was. Everything was alright, so I locked the door & went home."

With this information, you have the ability to press charges on a suspect & point out the thief. Clearly, no one admitted to the responsibility of theft of the valuable pages. This means one thing:

Someone is lying_through_their_teeth.

- State-in-order the suspects that came to the library first to last.

- Who is the thief?

- What is the hardest evidence you find against this thief?

- Where did they lie?

If you're up to this tough challenge, good luck.

Kirby of Doom
07-31-2003, 09:15 PM
I can answer the first question:

Silva
Mular
Yonan/Gants
Culpuni

I just realized something, so I guess I can't really answer the first question. What I relize is both Yonan and Gants passed each other when they entered. Very strange...

Skulkraken
08-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Here are my answers-------

The order is:
Silva
Yonan
Gants
Culpuni
Mular

Yonan is the thief.

Reason: knowledge of information about the book no one else mentioned knowledge of, i.e. illustrations and contents.

Where he lied: Gants already being there

Majin_Tobias
08-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Judges?

:angry:

I'm sorry, your answer must be in the form of a question. Thank you for playing.

No, just kidding, correct, Skull.