PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Like To See In A Terror Temple?

ShadowTiger
07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
If this belongs in ZC Discussion, or Suggestions, feel free to move it. I may be putting this in my quest, so you may wish to keep it here. Thank you.

I stayed up late last night listening to an alarmingly captivating Z64 Forest Temple on my CD player in bed. I had cranked up the volume pretty high, and I was -very- lost in thought while the music infiltrated in.

I was imagining a purple (Like Ganonator's Shadow Temple in J:R purple.) tile-based temple, full of very tall thin columns, with a few people scattered throughout, sitting with their arms folded over their knees, pale, and shaking. You approach one, and he says, "AAAIIEEEE!!!" and continues to shake and quiver, never doing anything else.

I imagined a long vertical corridor, which would be (if the first # was the X axis.) 2x6 or something like that, which would be totally composed of those "maze" type rooms, with those nasty confusing side warps.. there would be a key at the end. (Yes, you can have the idea.)

The walls would be composed of purple tiles, with moon, sun, or other general patterns on them. (This is one of the issues I would like feedback on, BTW.)

It was one of those dungeons where the player would quickly be both tearing out his/her hair, and peeing his/her pants at the same time. I could actually feel that sensation as I was listening to that music. So very freaky. :shakeno:

Suggestions? Comments? (Please, nothing pertaining to me. Thank you.

C-Dawg
08-01-2003, 04:16 PM
They have medications for conditions like yours, I think.

-C

Majin_Tobias
08-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Two words: Jason Voorhees.
That's what I would want to see.

idontknow
08-01-2003, 08:41 PM
well, you could, using combo cycling (& insta-warps), make it so that in certain, unsuspecting rooms, after waiting awhile, something will flash on the screen & a loud scream will sound (like in those goofy internet sites)--also, maybe you could have certain things like moving book cases that are triggered in certain ways, revealing a hidden passage to a room full of cob-webs & scary stuff--also, maybe flying books (if that'd be possible--you could sacrifice the "bat" enemy for tiles that look like open, flying books) Definately have a majority of "dark rooms"--maybe cobwebs you have to burn to get past--shadows & other effects might be nice

Ganonator
08-01-2003, 08:42 PM
ontopic, Think scary - if you would put the overworld lightning flashes in it, random warps, random side-warps, puzzles that don't go anywhere - like the hidden skulls in said purple shadow temple - it would be devilish.

Do note that it shouldn't be too hard. ex - when i introduced my infamous 'wacky conveyors' in the forest temple and that room with the wall masters, i was sent back to square one about 20 times. That sucks.

be creative.

Yoshiman
08-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Put lots of Gibdos, Stalfoi (plural), and Ghinis in the temple. It also wouldn't hurt to have several spikes and hooks with skeletons on them, either. Make some corpses too. :evil:

DeathLink
08-02-2003, 01:14 AM
all i have to say is, it would be HARD to make someone JUMP from being scared in a 2d world such as ZC. i mean, i jumped in OoT when i was dead tired in places that i couldnt tell when or where or why but not in a 2d world, i just dont think it would work.

Petoe
08-02-2003, 04:29 AM
Yes. It is hard to make somebody wet his or her pants in a 2D game, but it still doesn't mean that you couldn't do a disturbing and uncomfortable place. I'm just doing a Doom style place to my quest, and it starts to look pretty...horrible (if youy know what I mean). Of course it must be dark, the midi must be really freaky, there must be scary looking beasts as enemies, and blood (but not too much blood). Then some random warps and insane traps... oh yeah! :evil:

Ian
08-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Maybe have a river of bllod going through the middle of it, with random skeletons in it, and maybe have a cut scene or two, showing grouesom (sp?) stuff.

Ganonator
08-02-2003, 06:15 PM
ok.. i got it..

you are walking along.. and then the whole screen flashes to something spooky - skull and cross bones, giant goblin, a naked old midget - and have a LOUD noise play. kinda like those fucking horrible shockwave sites where they make you concentrate on the table for about a minute. Same effect.

idontknow
08-03-2003, 11:58 AM
thats exactly what i've said, in one way or another! that gets me everytime!!! i always fall for stuff like that! :)

Knil
08-03-2003, 04:27 PM
two words.....Losts'o like-likes AAAAHHH!!!! too scary. other than that i dunno

ShadowTiger
08-03-2003, 09:59 PM
OK. At the moment, you all are wondering, how is BH4 going to make it scary?

Well, then, I'll tell you! :tongue:

In order for me to be able to (Temporarily) alter the player's sanity, I will disallow the player from thinking in terms of sanity.

For example, NO switches that the player can see will work. All of the switches that the player cannot see, MIGHT work. (See what I did there with the phrasing? That's part of the insane logic.) I'll probably have the player pushing blocks into walls, because that's the only place where he can push them, seeing as it's in the one place all other quest designers find their nightmares, and being forced to place "no-push block" flags.

There will be those "maze" things in illogical places, for which the player will find all the clues he/she needs within that very room. I'm planning on a whole corridor of these. Freaky.

More to come. ;)