PDA

View Full Version : Freeform Bombable Walls

Tsukuru
07-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Is there any way to do freeform bombable walls?

C-Dawg
07-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Uh, yes. The bomb secret flag.

-C

Tsukuru
07-28-2003, 11:49 AM
I tried something to that affect, but the wall didn't stay bombed when Link exited/entered the screen.

C-Dawg
07-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, that's because you were on a dungeon dmap, where secrets are always temporary OR because you have the bombed wall on the first screen of a dmap, where secrets don't trigger.

In the first case, just use Cave dmaps. Now that we have lockblocks, there's no reason EVER to use Dungeon dmaps. For anything. Natta. If you really must use a Dungeon dmap, you could put a secret trigger combo behind the bombable wall, under a layer, so that if link returns to the screen THROUGH the hole, it opens for him.. but there's no EASY way to make the bombable wall stay open for all angles.

-C

Tsukuru
07-28-2003, 12:16 PM
So it won't make any difference to your quest if you use cave dmaps for your dungeons? That's nice to know :) Thanks for the help.

edit: I tried it out, and all of the shutters didn't work. :shrug: I bet it'll be easier to just make screens with the freeform bombable walls cave dmaps, and switch back to the dungeon dmap via side warps.

C-Dawg
07-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Shutters dont work if you just plop them down, no. You need to use secret combos and enemy->triggers to set them up. It's more work, but it's not a big deal.

-C

Jigglysaint
07-28-2003, 12:52 PM
The dungeon d-map really needs a re-vamp.

C-Dawg
07-28-2003, 12:55 PM
No, it just needs to die. There's no legitimate reason for using it anymore unless you have an unhealthy attatchment to the shutter's "sh-clunk" noise.

-C

idontknow
07-30-2003, 02:21 PM
actually, C-dawg, there is a reason to use dungeon dmaps still--for shutters--yes, i understand you could do freeform dungeons & all, and i've even done them myself plenty--however, if you were to do those in cave dmaps, then things would get very messed up cuz he is not forced throu the first two spaces on the outter edge in a cave dmap--in other words, he would not be forced through the shutter, so i don't see how that can be done

Tsukuru
07-30-2003, 02:25 PM
You could do shutters in cave dmaps, but you would have to use secret tiles to close the shutter behind Link, which is too much extra effort. And in those screens you can't have secrets either.

Ganonator
07-30-2003, 02:26 PM
You put a trigger temp on the wall behind the shutter, so coming to that opens the door. It's not impossible to do 1-way shutters, because we have secondary flags, but it uses some work. I tend to spend a lot of time switching back and forth between ffd's and caves just for the bombable walls.