PDA

View Full Version : My PS2 is messed up. :(

Grasshopper
07-25-2003, 11:25 AM
It won't read blue disks. Just thought I'd share that. :( And to think I bought Castlevania SOTN and Silent Hill and can't play them. Well, I've already called, and if I can deal with not having my PS2 for a month, then I'm sending it to Pennsylvania in the next couple days.

Pablo
07-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Did you buy it when it first came out? The early-model PlayStation 2s were very rushed, and had several problems with the drive, fan, etc. I would suggest that instead of you getting it repaired, go to the store and spend the extra $50 or so for a new PS2. They have all sorts of little tweaks, like updated DVD drivers, a much quieter fan, etc. And in that case, you would have a longer warranty...correct me if I'm wrong, but getting it repaired only gives you a 6-month warranty, while a new PS2 has a 1-year warranty period.

MottZilla
07-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Actually the proper term would be CD-ROM and Black Disc. The PSOne CDs were black on the bottom, not blue. :O They were all CD-ROM. PS2 games on CD-ROMs are blue on the bottom would with imprinted PS2 logos.

Anyway, the later models always are designed better.

Grasshopper
07-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Actually, getting a new one, gives me a 90-day warrenty, not a 6-month, nor a year warrenty. Several stores who sell PS2s are the ones who have the warrentys that long. Second, I bought this off a friend for only $150, with 4 games and a memory card. Remember me posting about that a few months back? He took very good care of it, because it looked brand new, and I even checked when I first got it if it played all the games. It did, but unfortunatly now, it doesn't. The noisy fan doesn't bother me, I never noticed it, and besides, I don't have to pay for this, not even shipping, and when I get it back, I get a new 90 day warrenty. Heck, what can I say, its almost like I'd bought a new one in the first place. I only have to bear not being able to play SH3 when it comes out because most likely won't have my PS2 back yet. The time it takes to get there, 15-20 days, then the time it takes to come back.....:cry: thats a long time. Anyway, I'd rather not spend $179.99 for another PS2 when I can get this fixed for free.

Mottz, I said it wouldn't play blue disks (PS2 CDs) like Contra:SS, then I said I couldn't play SH, or SOTN, so I couldn't play black disks either (PS1) I just assumed people would see that. ;)

Pablo
07-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Hmm...the stores in my area must be having sales or something. I saw a PS2 for $140. :shrug:

And I could have sworn the warranties were far longer than 90 days, but whatever.

How are you getting it fixed for free? Your friend gave it to you while the warranty was still valid? If not, then be prepared to shell out $95 or so, depending on where you live.

And it sure sucks going a month without a PS2, doesn't it? I know the feeling.

Master Ghaleon
07-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Did you try to clean the lense with a pressured air container?

gdorf
07-25-2003, 10:33 PM
It sounds liek you are getting it done for free, which is awesome. But if you don't want to bother with the hassle of sending it in, check this out. It has worked for a couple friends of mine. And daarkseid tried it and it worked for him as well.

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

Grasshopper
07-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Master Ghaleon, I never tried that, but for all other DVDs to play, and normal PS1 and PS2 Cds not to play, I didn't even bother. Most likely the problem. :shrug:

Gdorf, Thats interesting. I probably would tried it, if I didn't already call. But I get a new warrenty put on the system, and its not like I have many PS2 games to play anyway. I have 5 Ps2, and 2 Ps1 games.

Pablo, the MSRP for a PS2 is $179.99 and $199.99 if you get it with the network adaptor bundled in. I'd like to see one here for that much, I wouldn't have payed $150 for mine. ;)

What do you mean How did I get it fixed for free. Isn't this problem always fixed for free? I even asked them how much it cost and he just started asking me questions. I told him I bought it back in March, and he even said he didn't have information on it in the computer. So without question he just entered me in the computer, done a test or something and told me it would definetly needed to be repaired. He said with this problem, the fee was waived and sent me intructions on how to send it through email. The email says to put a number on a letter in the package to ensure that I don't pay for shipping or repair costs. That was nice I thought. Then I get it back with a new 3 month warrenty. Its just haveing to wait that long. ::laughing:

mike5000
07-26-2003, 01:57 PM
15-20 days to ship there?

Where do you live???

From California across the U.S. to NewYork is 9 days at the most by truck..

Grasshopper
07-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Me:D
The time it takes to get there, 15-20 days, then the time it takes to come back.....

So about 1-2 days to get there, 15-20 for them to fix it, then 1-2 to get back. Why it takes 15-20 days is unknown. You can ship your Gameboy Advance to Nintendo for them to fix and have it back in a week. My manager said thats how long it took her to have her GBA fixed.

MottZilla
07-26-2003, 05:29 PM
It depends how busy they are is all. Some repair centers can get things fixed and sent back faster than others.

Free sounds like the right price to me Grasshopper. ;) That's an awesome deal, and waiting a couple weeks is no biggy. Not when you consider you don't have to pay anything.

Grasshopper
08-16-2003, 03:28 PM
I did get it back BTW, but I took it out of the box and see my expansion bay slot cover missing. I call them back and tell them its missing, and they just tell "You don't need it, its not required" Its not like I didn't know that already, but I had it before I sent it, and now its missing. The woman told me that they don't have those pieces to give, but thats ok because they can apparently lose them. I mean, they must have an extra piece lying around somewhere thats mine. Instead of being nice and mailing it to me, I have to send it back to them. And guess how long that will take? "15 to 20 business days"...again. So I sent it back the day I got it, and now I have to wait some more. Probably won't get it back now until sometime in September.

Bloodstar64
08-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
How are you getting it fixed for free? Your friend gave it to you while the warranty was still valid? If not, then be prepared to shell out $95 or so, depending on where you live.

Any early model playstation 2 that breaks, even if past the warranty, can be fix for free.

Pablo
08-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Any early model playstation 2 that breaks, even if past the warranty, can be fix for free.

Umm...then can you explain why I had to pay nearly $100 to get my early-model PS2 fixed?

gdorf
08-18-2003, 03:11 AM
Umm...then can you explain why I had to pay nearly $100 to get my early-model PS2 fixed?

Because your a sucker that doesn't know how to talk to the tech support people right? :lol:

Just kidding man. I don't really know why some people get free repairs and some people don't. Almost everyone I've talked to has gotten free repairs though. You just got unlucky I guess.