PDA

View Full Version : How do you make those catwalks?

ShadowTiger
07-24-2003, 03:07 PM
In a number of places, specifically DoY Mushroom cave, there was a catwalk that overlooks the first floor. The first floor is still quite visible, but we can't walk on it. And yet, we can actually see the floor, the way it really is, through the catwalk! How did he do that! :eek:

idontknow
07-24-2003, 03:33 PM
i think i know what ya mean--there's a bunch of ways to do it--the easiest way would be using tile warps--it warps you to a dmap with an identical screen except all the combos on screen that appear to be on the floor, beneath link, are all solid combos (or completely transparent combos that are solid are placed over them on layer 1), thus, link can no longer walk on the ground, and the "catwalk" is on layer 1 or 2 above where the first floor is and wherever the catwalk is, is wherever link is allowed to walk--for a few screens you can keep this going, making pairs of identical screens where in one, link is below & the other, link is above--the screen where link climbs a ladder or whatever, there should be a tile warp (possibly the ladder itself is made of stairs or pit combos--the warp type should be insta warp--you can also use a different technique, which is a lot more complicated & involves secret flags & secondary flags

ShadowTiger
07-24-2003, 04:02 PM
I mean... like.... A way to not have to make a whole mess of combos identical to that of the floor walkable, and put the walkable grating over them. ^/^, Heh. How could we avoid this?

Cloral
07-24-2003, 06:11 PM
No way to right now. If I remember correctly, he simply made it so that the catwalk is opaque once you go up onto it to avoid this problem. Then again, maybe he changed things since I last played it. After all, since then we've gotten another version of ZC with expanded map space (I asked him about this before and he said one of the reasons he hadn't done this was because he had run out of map space for the needed layers).
This, once again, is one of the reasons I want an underground layer (i.e. layer -1).

idontknow
07-24-2003, 11:33 PM
1. on the screen(s) where you are under the catwalk, have the catwalk on layer 3 or higher (so link & all stuff on the main level is underneath it)
2. have a way of getting onto the catwalk, like stairs or a ladder & give pit combo
3. set the tile warp to inta-warp, destination being an identical room where link is above the catwalk
4. on the room where link is above, place the catwalk on layer 1 or 2 (so it is above main area but below link) and place completely transparent combo that is totally unwalkable on all empty spaces above the main floor where there is no catwalk (so link can't walk off the catwalk and step on the lower level)
--What should happen is link warps to the identical screen & the lower level now becomes unwalkable because invisible solid combos are placed above them, however he can walk wherever the catwalk is, which apears to be below link & the main level--he must exit the catwalk in order to warp back to a seemingly identical area where the places link should walk on, on the main level, will have no solid combos on them & the catwalk will be on a different layer so it should be above him

DarkFlameWolf
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
MY way of doing it....:
Make your screen with the catwalk as the upper layer and everything else as layer 0. When you warp to the catwalk above. Make the 'everything else' as layer 1 and the catwalk layer 2 and as for layer 0, make everything a blank black tile with blockage points where you don't want the player walking off the catwalk. It works.

ShadowTiger
07-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Hmm.. And DFW, in your explanation, where in there would we be able to see the floor underneath the catwalk? I'm just not sure you mentioned it in the latter...

idontknow
07-25-2003, 12:38 PM
thats pretty much the same explanation i have, except leaving layer 0 as it is & instead of having black combos underneath the floor, have invisible combos over the floor where link can't go---it's pretty much the same thing--the catwalk is simply made of combos that look like a net or something, with small squares made up of transparent/invis pixels that let you see through it & see the layer beneath it, which is the floor--simply have the catwalk on always above the floor layer, except when its supposed to be above link, have it on layer 3 or higher & when under link, move the catwalk to a layer 1 or 2

ShadowTiger
07-25-2003, 01:19 PM
So... it's a walkability thing then? Layer 2 would override Layer 1 or 0? I think that's pretty much all that would be needed to know.

If it doesn't, we're all scr*w*d. :spin: Heh. J/K, I suppose.

Praethus
07-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Yes BH4. Walkability checks layers 0,1, and 2 and if there is an unwalkable tile on any of those layers you can't walk there. DFW and IDK's explanation will work.

ShadowTiger
07-25-2003, 01:40 PM
And if there was a lot of stuff underneath the catwalk while I'm walking on it, I would have to make those walkable?

DarkFlameWolf
07-25-2003, 01:53 PM
yeah, if you're on the catwalk anyway. But yeah, my way does work and you can see the catwalk from below and everything underneath it when you're on it with my method. Its just a trick with using layers and leaving layer 0 as a 'blank layer' with several blocking tiles so they can't walk off the catwalk.

idontknow
07-25-2003, 09:22 PM
yea, & you can use the same method for using over-&-under bridges, or you can simply use a new method if you have bridges that only use like 15 different combos or less-this method, thou it seems a lil more confusing, uses temporary secrets on overworld screens; i find it actually quite easier, especially since you don't need duplicate screens & insta-warps. Ok, here's how ya do it:
1. make it so that in order to walk/swim underneath the combo, link would need to enter the screen from the left/right, or top/bottom
2. place the combos that should be underneath the bridge on layer 0 and then place the bridge on layer 3 or 4
3. now, where link can go over the bridge, have combos identical to the ground with the "trigger temp" property placed next to the beginning/end of the bridge (the edges where link starts to walk on top of the bridge
4. check the screen flag "no secret sounds"
5. place secret flags on layer 0 where the bridge is & simply make the secret combos "copies" of each combo type--say like your bridge is 10 different combos, place 10 dif secret flags for each of those combos & set to the same secret combos (remember this is on layer 0, but the bridge is originally on layer 3, thus, using secrets you can have the bridge move underneath link to layer 0 if he enters the screen a certain way
6. likewise, you don't want the bridge to remain over link when he enters from the certain sides to go over the bridge, so place flag 16 all over where the bridge is on layer 3 & set its secret combo to a completely transparent combo (which is completely walkable)
TaDah! try it out! oh by the way, the reason that the secret trigger is where link would go over the bridge is because if you have the bridge crossing water, then if he enters from the sides of the bridge & is swimming underneath it, he will not be able to activate triggers, as there are no "swim trigger" combos (as of yet anyway) Good Luck! hope this method works too! :)