PDA

View Full Version : Wise Words From William J. Clinton

Starkist
07-23-2003, 03:32 PM
We should be pulling for America on this. We should be pulling for the people of Iraq. We can have honest disagreements about where we go from here, and we have space now to discuss that in what I hope will be a nonpartisan and open way. But this State of the Union deal they decided to use the British intelligence. The president said it was British intelligence. Then they said on balance they shouldn't have done it. You know, everybody makes mistakes when they are president. I mean, you can't make as many calls as you have to make without messing up once in awhile. The thing we ought to be focused on is what is the right thing to do now. That's what I think.

A politician through and through, I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog. Yet sometimes he says something right.

Tsukuru
07-23-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree. You would expect those on Capitol Hill to be objective concerning the war in Iraq, but instead fingers are being pointed back and forth, blinding us from what is going on right now. Whether or not the information was false doesn't matter, it's already happened and the military operation has been underway for quite some time.

You know, everybody makes mistakes when they are president. I mean, you can't make as many calls as you have to make without messing up once in awhile.Interesting he should say that, but I do agree. Too many people are focused on those in the public eye to be perfect be they president, sports star, or just plain Martha Stewart. When they do make a mistake, the media devours them like a swarm of piranhas.

Ich
07-23-2003, 05:05 PM
He seems to still be trying to justify his actions. "Everybody makes mistakes" means "I should be forgiven even though I got oral sex from Monica Lewinsky."

Goat
07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Clinton was great. I love that guy!

TheGeepster
07-23-2003, 07:33 PM
The political pundants seem to largely think that by coming to the support of Bush, Clinton was trying to protect his own legacy while in office. But what he said on this occasion was correct, whatever the actual reason he may have had for saying it.

Conservatives, worry not. The bulk of the liberal democrats are poo-pooing the Uday and Qusay deaths, or casting it in a bad light. Calling it "assassination", "murder", asking why we didn't take them alive, asking what was so great about sending an army just to kill "two bums", etc.. Which means the weather in hell is still quite warm. :shrug:

Ganonator
07-23-2003, 07:41 PM
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

After that, I find zero credibility in anything he says. Or, with another Carlin reference - Clinton was full of shit. But at least he let you know about it.

As far as his stance on this issue, he is spoken like a true democrat; standing up for people that have absolutely no economic future.

Trevelyan_06
07-23-2003, 07:48 PM
No matter what his trustworthyness is you got to hand it to him, he got it right this time. We've got a war no matter how it got started and it's not like we can say, "Woah, wait a minute, time out. Saddam we might have started this war for the wrong reason, we got some bad information, some mistakes were made. Tell you what, how bout we just start over?"

Axel
07-23-2003, 08:14 PM
no, I won't even, I'm not going to interrupt a load of meaningless back-patting. have a good time.

TheGeepster
07-23-2003, 08:27 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't need affirmation from someone considered a political opponent to feel like I'm right.

As I said before, I believe his remarks were made for self-serving reasons, because he was in Bush's position at one time, and therefore to speak this words indirectly defends his own legacy. That doesn't make them wrong though.

Axel
07-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
As I said before, I believe his remarks were made for self-serving reasons, because he was in Bush's position at one time, and therefore to speak this words indirectly defends his own legacy. That doesn't make them wrong though.
of course they were!! he's a politician, didn't you pay attention to Master Kenobi?! politicians only say things that serve themselves, only things that go well with the crowds.

Tsukuru
07-23-2003, 08:41 PM
By that reasoning, a politician can never be considered as not self-serving. If we always believe there is a self-serving motive behind everything a politician does, there is no way they can please us. I guess that's why we're never pleased by politicians. :laughing:

Axel
07-23-2003, 08:45 PM
of course. people who deserved a position of power would never attempt to attain it. therefore the president will never be someone who should be.
"We always put our politicians in jail as soon as they're ellected. It saves time later."~The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett

TheGeepster
07-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Politics does tend to be a field of the self-serving. On that I clearly agree. Another statement I've heard and agree with is that politicians tend to be idiots. Comes from being isolated from most vestiges of real life I spose.

Tsukuru
07-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Amazing. And we depend on these people to run our country? :tongue:

TheGeepster
07-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Part of the reason for implementing Congressional term limits, methinks. Politics was never meant to be a career; only an act of civil service.

Massachusetts original put lawyers in the same boat.. Imagine if there was no permanent professional politician or lawyer, wouldn't the whole country run smoother?

Axel
07-24-2003, 01:59 PM
"I recognize this court system as the one that agreed with that line from Shakespere: 'Kill all the lawyers!'"
"Which was done." ~Encounter at Farpoint, Star Trek: The Next Generation

they've got a point...

fatcatfan
07-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Another spin on this is that Clinton is supporting Bush because he doesn't want a Democrat to be elected President in 2004 - because that would pretty much eliminate Hillary's chances for election in 2008.

TheGeepster
07-25-2003, 06:37 PM
I heard as much too, fcf. Perhaps as first husband, he would have a chance to increase his reputation somewhat.

That may be true, but for now, it's heresay. I daresay we may never know the full reasons why.