PDA

View Full Version : Dvd-r?!?

TedHead
07-22-2003, 10:47 PM
I've seen these in the stores just recently.

They claim they can hold over 2GB of files and can also be used to back up Playstation games.

First of all, do these CD's require a special type of CD burner to use?

Also, if I do happen to burn a Playstation CD, would I need a mod chip or anything to play it, or could I just use a regular Playstation?

Starkist
07-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by TedHead
They claim they can hold over 2GB of files and can also be used to back up Playstation games.

Some DVD media can hold up to 4 GB I believe.

First of all, do these CD's require a special type of CD burner to use?

Yes. Are you ready for this? ....a DVD burner. :)

Also, if I do happen to burn a Playstation CD, would I need a mod chip or anything to play it, or could I just use a regular Playstation?

You would need a mod chip. If it works at all. I've never owned a Playstation, so I'm not an authority on PS Piracy.

Flash Man
07-23-2003, 01:43 AM
If it were a DVD you would not be able to use it on a Playstation, it cannot read DVDs, although a PS2 would be a different story and you would indeed need a modchip.

Originally posted by Starkist

Some DVD media can hold up to 4 GB I believe.

4.7GB

DarkPanther
07-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man
4.7GB

4.37GB

;)

TedHead
07-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man

If it were a DVD you would not be able to use it on a Playstation, it cannot read DVDs, although a PS2 would be a different story and you would indeed need a modchip.

I didn't mean burning a DVD... I thought the DVD discs were somehow different than a regular CD in ways OTHER than the amount of space it can hold, so I thought maybe a regular playstation would play those games too.

Another Question!

Can DVD-R's hold regular computer files as well? Cuz 4.37 GB would be awesome to have on a CD!

DarkPanther
07-23-2003, 02:22 PM
DVDs and CD's are different.

DVD-R's and CD-R's are equally as different.

You cannot play a DVD in your stereo and hear the soundtrack to the movie.

You can write files to a DVD-R (which is the point), but that still doesn't mean you can play it in your stereo. It's still a DVD.

PS2 discs are DVDs. The PS2 is a DVD player.

PS One discs are not DVDs. The PS One cannot read DVDs. Although, if you're still wondering, you can pirate PS One games on regular CD's (being... that's what they really are...), though you may need not only a mod chip, but also a boot disc (disc to swap out while booting up PS One).

Breaker
07-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther

4.37GB

;)

No. 4.7 gigs. Some dvd-r's can even record on both sides, totalling over 9 gigs. Very useful indeed. And yes, they can backup "computer files".

www.google.com - Search for DVD-r, it's pointless to waste so much time with Q&A here about it.

DarkPanther
07-23-2003, 02:41 PM
A gigabyte is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes, or about 1.07 billion bytes.

DVD-R/RW writing software may show the available disc space of a newly erased DVD-RW ("4.7GB") as 4.489GB, but it is in fact 4.37GB. If whatever you're burning exceeds 4.37, it won't fit.

J.J. Maxx
07-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
www.google.com - Search for DVD-r, it's pointless to waste so much time with Q&A here about it.

<SARCASM>

Hey thats a great idea! How about, instead of posting threads here at AGN, we just e-mail you the topic we want to discuss, and you send them a link where they can discuss it or get information on it! That way we wouldn't waste all our time with topics that clutter up our forums. :thumbsup:

</SARCASM>

Breaker
07-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther
A gigabyte is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes, or about 1.07 billion bytes.

DVD-R/RW writing software may show the available disc space of a newly erased DVD-RW (&quot;4.7GB&quot;) as 4.489GB, but it is in fact 4.37GB. If whatever you're burning exceeds 4.37, it won't fit.

There are many different types of DVD layers that store different amounts of data, I was unaware that DVD-5's used industry standards when calculating their bytes (like hdd manufacturers do).

As far as music is concerned, it is possible with DVD-A but not many players support this format. They're specifically designed to provide the highest possible audio fidelity capable on DVD.

Originally posted by J.J. Maxx
Hey thats a great idea! How about, instead of posting threads here at AGN, we just e-mail you the topic we want to discuss, and you send them a link where they can discuss it or get information on it! That way we wouldn't waste all our time with topics that clutter up our forums. :thumbsup:

It was a suggestion JJ, that's all.

The Savior
07-23-2003, 05:58 PM
On the topic of DVD-A, can they be played in a DVD-ROM drive? How abouts SACD? And before somebody asks, I did look around before asking this, but I couldn't find an answer.

Breaker
07-23-2003, 06:02 PM
I've never experimented with DVD-A's so im not sure which dvd drives they're compatible with, just that they exist. As for your second qustion, Hybrid SACDs can be played on CD players because they have a CD layer and an SACD layer. They should work fine in cd and dvd drives.

Q: What is the difference between DVD-audio and SACD?

A: DVD-audio was developed based on the video format (DVD video) while the Super Audio CD was developed based on the audio format (CD). DVD-audio is based on PCM recording technology of the past but offers improved sound quality by using a higher sampling frequency and longer word lengths. The SACD, however, is based on a superior recording technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) that more closely reproduces the shape of the original analog waveforms to produce a more natural, higher quality sound that more accurately captures the nuance and atmosphere of the source material.

The Savior
07-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I should have specified, I know that hybrid SACDs can be played in a normal CD player, but I was referring to the "SA" part of the CD, IE the extra sound channels.