PDA

View Full Version : Tile Making Contest

Ian
07-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm bored, and when I'm bored, I start to think. So I came up with this idea: a Tile Making contest! I was hoping to get some people who's interested. The entries will be annonymous, but the votes won't (so it doesn't turn into a popularity contest)

Not really many rules. Just make a tile of the random thing the I think of, for example: a Shine Sprite from Super Mario Sunshine. For each contest I'll set a limit on the size, like 1 tile, or 2x2 tiles max. It'd obviously have to be able to fit into ZC. Another matter is just taking sprites that are already made. Now, nobody knows if someone really has made what they submitted, but all I can hope is that the entries are custom. But if you've seen the tile someone's submitted somewhere else, by all means, tell me, but you MUST have a URL showing the site that has it (without it, your rant will be ignored)

This is just something to do, and I hope it'll get off the ground. Just post some feedback about this, whether you like it or not, or anything that you don't like about the rules. And also if you'd like to take part.

Edit: different tidbits that should be said:

There are NO judges

If this gets started, i'll try to do it WEEKLY (sometimes I might not be here.)

This will be done exactly like the photoshop contest. I tell you what to draw, and you make it within the time limit (about 4 or 5 days, not sure which.) and then I'll give 2 days for voting. I'll post the pics myself, so nobody knows who's is who's and then you vote. I'll tell you who made the winning tile, of course, but I'll leave the others annonymous.

ALL entries are to be PMed to me (if you can't host it yourself, ask me for my e-mail, and e-mail it to me)

Every once in a while, I MAY just happen to vote. Not every round, but only when I feel that there is a tile that really deserves it. I also may add my own submition in. If in any case I do this, I surely won't vote at all that round. I doubt I'll do it very often anyways, but just so you know, I'll just poke my head in these two aspects of the contest.

You CAN PM me an idea for the next round if you feel you have a good idea, but you won't be able to submit anything that round. (I already have my idea for the first round if this gets off the ground)

The voting won't be anonymous, becasue, well, it doesn't matter who votes for what, as long as YOU don't vote for yourselves. If you do, it won't count (I'll have to give an official vote count if somebody does vote for themselves. I HOPE nobody does it anyways, but just so it shouldn't happen in the future.

You can resubmit your entry in case you felt you need to change something so don't feel you're stuck with it once you've sent it in.

idontknow
07-22-2003, 03:02 PM
i think that the player should have to submit a page of tiles (doesn't have to be exactly a full pg, but close) and there could be different categories in what they want to compete for; for example:
1. dungeon tiles (create a page of all dungeon tiles & see if ya have the best)
2. overworld tiles
3. cave tiles
4. item/weapons tiles
5. guys/sprite/NPC tiles
6. miscellaneous tiles (tiles that do not fit into one of the other categories
7. wildcard (pages that have some dungeon tiles, some overworld tiles, etc...basically an overall page)
--There'd be a winner for each and there'd be 3 judges that judge each category--or maybe just 3 judges that each judge one category (and maybe some ppl will be willing to judge more than one) The judges each rate all the tile pages submitted in that category & the person who's tileset has the best average/overall rating wins.

Ian
07-22-2003, 03:11 PM
That's a nice idea (actually it's great), but I was thinking along the lines of this being like the photoshop contest, so we can do this every week or so. You wouldn't really win anything, cause it's all for fun. I'll edit my first post when I feel that I need to add something to it.

Questwizard88
07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
i might do this, but i just dont like the idea of having to draw exactly what you tell us too.. we should eb abkle to draw whatever we want to and use it as an entry

ShadowTiger
07-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes. I drew Renamon in ZC. I may as well submit that for the heck of it.

Ian
07-22-2003, 04:22 PM
But just having random thnigs submitted isn't ideal. IT's like comparing Zelda to The Sims. They are completely different, so it's not really fair to judge one from the other.

The thing's I tell you to draw will be pretty general. For example, I might tell you to make a futuristic armor. The only thing you have to have the same from the others is that it's futuristic, and it's armor. It could be a breastplate, hell could be a robotic ball. IF I want anything specific about it, I'll tell you.

idontknow
07-22-2003, 04:31 PM
thats stupid! (no offense) that's specific enough as it is; why have a bunch of people draw a few tiles for one lil thing that YOU want!? why not just compete to see who can make the most unique set of dungeon tiles? or who can make the best overworld tiles? who can make a great winter set? etc. I mean, if ya want limits, say for example you can only use a certain graphics pack, like the Pure graphics pack--but still, i think it'd be more encouraging to have a contest where people compete to draw the best dungeon set--you could still have this continue for awhile--maybe one week, its who can draw the best winter set for the pure tileset overworld? and another it might be who can draw the best custom dungeon set with the Newfirst tileset? and a couple weeks from now, who can draw the best tiles for item/weapon sprites? or who can draw the best custom link tiles? doing it this way would get people to think about custom tiles & thus, perhaps more exchanging would occur btwn people & there'd be more tiles to use in the tileshop!

redmage777
07-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Idontknows idea would realy benefit the community as well, the flux of origenal tiles would realy be cool. If I had a choice, I'd rather judge then compete though. (I don't think I have the credentials though)

System Error
07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
thats stupid! (no offense) that's specific enough as it is; why have a bunch of people draw a few tiles for one lil thing that YOU want!? why not just compete to see who can make the most unique set of dungeon tiles? or who can make the best overworld tiles? who can make a great winter set? etc. I mean, if ya want limits, say for example you can only use a certain graphics pack, like the Pure graphics pack--but still, i think it'd be more encouraging to have a contest where people compete to draw the best dungeon set--you could still have this continue for awhile--maybe one week, its who can draw the best winter set for the pure tileset overworld? and another it might be who can draw the best custom dungeon set with the Newfirst tileset? and a couple weeks from now, who can draw the best tiles for item/weapon sprites? or who can draw the best custom link tiles? doing it this way would get people to think about custom tiles & thus, perhaps more exchanging would occur btwn people & there'd be more tiles to use in the tileshop!

Yes, yes, yes! But I'd prefer specific things to draw that would take a lot of work, such as a unique, fully animated (walls and floor included) dungeon.

Ian
07-22-2003, 07:47 PM
My plan was to have a simple thing, that people can do when they get the time, my idea doesn't take long to do at all. With your idea, you'd need weeks to do it, or absolutely no life at all (including almost no sleep at all)

The point of having people draw stuff that I WANT (though, I don't WANT them to draw them for me) is just to see who can sprite this particular thing better.

The only reason I'm doing this is to get people to just do something with their spare time. If you want to start something up where you want people to do those things in a week, go ahead. I know I wouldn't be able to make complete dungeon tiles in a week, if I did, they'd look really bad.

The point I'm trying to make, is that I only what people to make simple, unique and custom tiles. I probably will submit all the entries into the PureZC tileshop anyways. I just don't want a contest where people have to take time out of what they are doing to enter something. IF you want more tiles in the tileshop, why are you nagging on me for them? GO make your own if you want a full set of something, because it won't happen here.

BTW, if this doesn't get off the ground here, I'll gladly take it somewhere else and get it started for the few who do liek the idea.

idontknow
07-22-2003, 08:01 PM
well, the real hard core zquesters prob don't have much 'spare time' ;)

Ian
07-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Exactly my point, so with my idea, they don't need to do spend much time at it. You just proved that hardecore zquesters wouldn't have time for your contest idea :p

J.J. Maxx
07-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Ian, I think this a top-notch idea! :thumbsup:

I think items and individual tiles would be best. Nobody wants to take weeks to design an overworld or dungeon tileset. At least with this, it could be fun, quick, and useful because we might get some unique tiles out of it!

Go for it! :)

Petoe
07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Yes. Ian's idea is the best way to go. IDK probably doesn't know anything about tile making (no offense), but if you want to make unique and cool looking dungeon set or something like that, it really takes weeks to make.

EWild
07-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Dudes, listen, if you want a week or so to make a whole set of dungeon tiles, you must be fast and extremly good. If we have certain categories then it'll soon enough it'll get repetitive and boring. Ian suggested that you draw something along the lines of what he decides, a guide line if you will, and I don't really think HE want's the tiles... But enough of that, if I have the time and idea, I'll try my best! :thumbsup: Very Good Idea!

EDIT: Also, I don't think he want judges, he want's people to vote on the best tile(s) of the week. :l

EDIT2: Also I think he want's this to be weekly, not just a one time thing...

redmage777
07-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Works for Me... Let get it rolling!

Ian
07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, I have nothing better to do, so I might as well get it all started. I'll just make the new thread now. if you have any questions, just PM me, or ask in the new thread.