PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic's Future

StarFox
07-19-2003, 09:41 PM
I was just thinking about the progress of ZC, and wanted some opinions on the best way to progress even further into the world of ZC. The choices are above, so vote.

Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Option A: This option would allow people to work on their quests without having to worry about upgrading when new betas come out. It would also give DN a break from ZC. However, some people would most likely still be clamoring for more features.

Option B: This is our current system. People are informed of new features, and the new features are tested by testers. The public gets new features from time to time, but there are always people who want more, and people fighting over testing spots.

Option C: People don't know about newer betas, so the plan is, they can't want what they don't know about. However, this could easily backfire to make people want information even more.

Option D: This would stop curiosity, and people would definately be thankful. It would also speed up beta testing considerably. However, this may drive away some that don't want to continuously update their quests in order to have the latest features. Betas would also still have to be tested for about a week by beta testers to ensure that there aren't any bugs that would crash the computer, and a warning would have to be put up that places the blame not on the developer of ZC, but on the person who downloads a beta.

Please give some input with your vote. And FYI, this is just out of curiosity. Thanks.

slothman
07-19-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm getting tired of having just betas. I want a full version. I'm not even going to use it again until it comes out. It's been what, over 2 years since 1.9. How 'bout this DN: don't add anything else no matter how easy, good, or small it will be. Just fix bugs and release the 1.92. If you do that I'm guessing 1.92 will be out July or August.

redmage777
07-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I'd say make one more Beta, New features included. Then fix that one and make it a full version. Perfect that version (No new features) and put the perfected one out as a full version. After that continue as it has been going.

The only reason I waiting for the next one is I'm hoping for some amazing new features.

DarkFlameWolf
07-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Full version. We need a 1.92 or a 2.0 full for a long time now. Try to get Din's Fire, Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind actually working now. Get other features working as well. Get all bugs out and actually put out a final release. I'd rather have a stable ZC than one that could corrupt my quest or crash or both!

idontknow
07-19-2003, 11:45 PM
i say that we implement everything thats not implemented but planned (such as farore's wind, naytru's love, amulet 2 item, etc.) fix and polish up all the features of the private betas (like link modifiers, NPCs, etc.) and basically perfect all the current features (especially combo cycling), then possibly add a few features that aren't too big, but not too small either--big enough to make a noticeable difference, for example--having "trading posts" rooms and a few more misc items that the player can use; or maybe making skulltulla coins; or having certain info tags in strings (like <#ofbombs> or whatever; or possibly having dmap timed warps, or timed pit warps; etc. Then, after all current features have been proven bug free & any new features are completely implemented, release a new full version to the public; then worry about the future from there--perhaps give DN a break but maybe have someone else take over ;) or maybe, if DN is up to it, continue things the way they have been--well, thats my input

King Of Links
07-19-2003, 11:47 PM
I so just had an obvious question (I voted full version by the way). Who all is working on Zelda Classic right now?

Ganonator
07-20-2003, 12:53 AM
DN and fatcatfan have figured out a dual programming system. They are the only two working on it at the moment..

as far as my vote -

I think there needs to be a schedule of release dates. Full version is going to be out on this date, beta X will be out on this date. Then the public doesn't get shunned, and the testers get overwhelmed or underwhelmed, as the case is now. I like the current system, don't get me wrong, but it could use a little bit of order.

MottZilla
07-20-2003, 03:57 AM
Loose ends should be tied up like incomplete features by either finishing or removing them. The program needs to be reoptimized and totally debugged. After that it could use porting to Linux.

After all that, I'd say ZC would be ready for another full release, call it whatever number you desire. Then DN and FCF should do whatever they want, be it quit or work on it more when they like, it would be up to them.

ZC has really reached nearly its full potential I think. One game can only go so far without losing its anchor, which would be being a Zelda 1 clone at heart.

DarkFlameWolf
07-20-2003, 07:27 AM
here here Mott! :)
And IDon'tKnow, those new features small enough to be added but not big enough to be a nuisance are kinda big enough to be a nuisance. So I just say stick with what's there, refine them, polish them and bug test them.

Petoe
07-21-2003, 08:47 AM
I want that all future betas would be released to the public. I know it would cause some problems and people should be very careful with their quests then, but it's very unfair that only few can play with the new features, while I have to suffer and use the poor current beta. I just have to wait and hope that a new public release would come soon... :(

idontknow
07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
WHY THE HECK ISN'T PETOE A BETA TESTER?! he is a dedicated zc member & seems to know a lot about the program & such; he probably has more experience than i do (and i am a tester)--i nominate PETOE as a new beta tester? :)

Raichu86
07-21-2003, 08:36 PM
We need a new version. All the betas are really discouraging quest development, I believe. :shrug: More than anything, I want to see the bugs worked out and a final version released.

Ganonator
07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by idontknow
WHY THE HECK ISN'T PETOE A BETA TESTER?! he is a dedicated zc member &amp; seems to know a lot about the program &amp; such; he probably has more experience than i do (and i am a tester)--i nominate PETOE as a new beta tester? :) Testing isn't about how much experience you have at ZC. It's about how much experience you have as being a tester. IDK, if you check out all of the things I've spotted in the Alpha forums, maybe you would get an idea :shrug:
I hope that doesn't come across as offensive, I just wanted to make that point. :tongue:

Petoe
07-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
WHY THE HECK ISN'T PETOE A BETA TESTER?! he is a dedicated zc member &amp; seems to know a lot about the program &amp; such; he probably has more experience than i do (and i am a tester)--i nominate PETOE as a new beta tester? :)
Well... thank you, I guess. :)
I think that I'd deserve to be a tester, and many other zquest makers too, but unfortunately I'm not the one who decides about these things. :(
But once again I say, I hope a new public release will come VERY soon, or else it just isn't fair for me (and some other people of course) to wait to get my hands on the new features... I mean, so many other people have the private beta probably just because they've made a good quest. :shrug:

redmage777
07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
ZC has really reached nearly its full potential I think. One game can only go so far without losing its anchor, which would be being a Zelda 1 clone at heart.

I havent been here since the begining, But to be honest, I beleive Zquest is already past that point.

I wish I could change my vote, I think there should be a Full releace soon, or at least a bug-free releace of the current ZQuest. Then No more Public Betas. As fun as it is getting features, all of those Public Beta do cause problems. I'd like to use a stable version, but hard for me use 1.90 knowing about 1.92.

Qun Mang
07-22-2003, 09:03 PM
How about locking the features as they stand, fix any glaring bugs, then release a full version? New features can always be added to the next version beta. New features can be a real trap. "Well this is easy to implement. And this. This too." Which can then lead to things not working as planned, breaking other things, etc. Of course, with a full release out, as option A mentioned, the staff then has a perfect opportunity to take a (well deserved) break for awhile. Sounds like the best plan.