PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Prakster

stormwatcheagle
07-18-2003, 04:46 AM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/edibles/dogsoup.htm

Wow. That guy is amazing! I mean, look at the millions of people he's tricked. I feel so dumb looking through all of the scams he pulled off. I'm definetly not gonna trust the news at face value now.

Tsukuru
07-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Anyone who fell for that had to be really ... dull. Look at the constantly blatant grammar mistakes! You'd have to be someone who stereotypes everyone they meet not to realize that foreigners with a hazy grasp on English only talk like that verbally, and that the written grammar would be a little less pockmarked with errors.

Also, while being a terrible joke, it does prove a point as was the prankster's intention. People can be quick to conclusion and bias, and none more than the media.

Axel
07-18-2003, 10:37 AM
His 1981 cockroach pill hoax was classic. Posing as "world-famous entomologist Dr. Josef Gergor," he announced the development of a miracle vitamin from the hormones extracted from a super strain of cockroaches. The vitamin was said to cure acne, arthritis, anemia, and menstrual cramps and immunize against the side effects of nuclear radiation.
oh, I wanted to buy some... :D

"Question authority in all its shapes and forms. Don't suspend critical thinking for wishful thinking."
oh yeah, that's a sig quote for sure.

Rainman
07-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Tsukuru: That's what makes it so brilliant. Sure, our logical minds were able to realize the stupidity of the stereotypical asian accent in wrting. However, we're not the kind of people that he's trying to reach.

It's really sad that people were so outraged over that letter. Of course, some of them were animal rights activists and we know they are complete morons. The other people are inexcusable. They show that they are horribly culturally biased. Also, they show that they are too stubborn to try a new thing. Mmmmm... Fido tastes good. :)

gdorf
07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Skaggs makes the point that if he can con the media as one lone activist with a fax machine, perhaps readers and viewers can learn to be a bit skeptical of news orchestrated by vast government, political, and business empires.

Thats a good point.

As I read some of the pranks, I wonder how he got away with some of the things he did. Some seem borderline illegal. :shrug:

TheGeepster
07-20-2003, 07:12 AM
I would have thought the Jayson Blair firing would have put the media on its toes and would have made responsible journalism a much more palatable choice..

The main media news outlet has the responsibilities to put aside what they want in order to reach down and determine what actually is. It is rather sad not only that they are willing to print the unverified and outrageous without questioning it, but oftentimes will ignore the fairly sound story in order to try and turn popular opinion in the direction they want.

This is why conservative pundants, both professional and amateur, refer to the mainstream media news outlets as a "liberal media".

SSJ3500
07-20-2003, 11:24 AM
This kinda reminds me of this site I saw a few months ago, there was a guy who was selling "real" senzu beans (from DBZ) and actually making a profit... I would have bought some just to see what they actually were if they weren't so expensive.

MasterSwordUltima
07-20-2003, 12:34 PM
How the hell did he hang a fifty-foot bra on wall street? Seriously, does anybody have any pictures? I wanna see this. It sounds too amusing to pass up.

redmage777
07-20-2003, 01:34 PM
I was hoping it was true, I wanted to try some dog soup... Oh Tucker... Come here boy...

(You can thank My Sister for the Double post. Guess I'll have to log out next time I try to eat the Dog)

redmage777
07-20-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm using my big brother's account. He is currently trying to kill our dog, Tucker, and eat him. (Not really, he's just getting some ice cream, and Tuck's barking and running around because he wants some.) - Android 18 (redmage777's lil' sis)

Jemsee
07-20-2003, 01:56 PM
That was some vary creative stuff he did.
It reminds me of the Wizard's First Rule "People are stupid".
(Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind-Chapter 36, Page #397)

linkofzelda1
07-22-2003, 11:01 PM
This guy is my idol!!!