PDA

View Full Version : Zelda For Windows XP

zoso5725
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Please help me figure out a way to allow my HP Pavilion with Windows XP with a Saitek P880 game controller to recognize and play Zelda. I need my Zelda fix and HP did not write drivers for this machine that will allow me to run Windows ME/98/2000/. Saitek has a configuration for key board commands but Zelda still does not see the controller. I have tried everything that I can think of so I'm asking for your help. I follow directions very well. I'm a physicist so I am not stupid, there must be a way. If you think you have the solution please e-mail me at: [email protected]. Thanks, Richard Zelinger. Or post your reply in this forum.

AlexMax
07-17-2003, 10:52 PM
Welcome to AGN.

Unfortuniatly, this isn't the best forum to get ZC help in. I know this is General Discussion, but you will probably get a better answer in the ZC forums.

- = TOPIC MOVED = -

redmage777
07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Please by all means, post the solution here too, I would like to use a contoler too, and my computer is very simmaler to his.

Ielen
07-18-2003, 01:25 AM
If you want to play ZC without any problems (e.g. crashing), then use Windows 98 SE or Windows ME. There's a compatibility problem between ZC & Windows XP.

zoso5725
07-18-2003, 02:10 AM
No shit Sherlock

stormwatcheagle
07-18-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by zoso5725
No shit Sherlock

Heh, you're not staying here long...

redmage777
07-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Not Like I can Change it, XP is all I have and all that I can have on my system, besides, The program runs fine, just no joystick support. Guess I'll just have to do without...

Blonde799
07-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Well, since you didn't list everything you did to fix the problem, I'll just list the things I've done to rectify, as I also have XP.

-Use the most recent Windows version available, which is in a topic found at the very top of the Zelda Classic Discussion forum.

-Just used a keyboard. I found that the controllers I used didn't work, and after $50 spent, I decided to use a keyboard.

-I made sure to download alleg41.dll, which is a file needed for the windows version to run.

-When I could use a controller, I had to run agsetup, to make sure it worked.

Hope that helped.

cbailey77
07-21-2003, 12:27 AM
try the latest version of ZC 1.92 B182 windows version. That might help.

Zelda_Warrior
08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
just to clarify there is a way to remove windows xp first u take what u want and burn a cd with the data or use a shit load of 1.44 meg diskettes and then get 1 dos boot disk with cd drivers on it so u can use the cdrom drive. then boot with that disk in there and type Format C: subsitute C: with whatever drive letter windows is on then type in the cd rom drives assigned letter than type in Setup.exe and follow the install instructions. <I am note responsible for people loosing there data becuase they were too stupid to back it up.> (cd drive and hard drives will have differnt letters) {the harddrives might not if they are like C: and so forth in order} Have Fun being frustrated with installing windows! [you will need your device drivers if windows doesnt have them pre loaded on the disk]

Cloral
08-19-2003, 01:37 AM
As for controllers, make sure the one you're using is DOS-compatible, or ZC can't recognize it. And then you're usually restricted to 4 buttons.

As you can see from my post at the top of this forum, this isn't a bugs issue. Topic moved to ZC Discussion.

Demimore
08-22-2003, 08:54 AM
I use a controller. It works great. It's a GAMEPORT controller. Not a USB controller. I believe the USB controllers won't work in ZC. And I KNOW that they won't work in the DOS version of ZC.

Me2NiK
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
ZC is completely unplayable on my system now because i cant change items...

GerrardCapashen
08-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Cloral
As for controllers, make sure the one you're using is DOS-compatible, or ZC can't recognize it. And then you're usually restricted to 4 buttons.

I use Sidewinder game pad (it's a bit hold tough) and all my 10 buttons are compatible with the windows version of ZC.