PDA

View Full Version : Upload a File, Go to Prison. What next?

Menokh
07-17-2003, 12:58 PM
According to this wired news article (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59654,00.html), if this bill passes you could go to prison for uploading ONE single copyrighted file to a P2P network.

Here's the important bit:

The bill "clarifies" that uploading a single file of copyright content qualifies as a felony. Penalties for such an offense include up to five years in prison and up to a $250,000 fine.

I think that is a tad excessive, what about you?

Mitsukara
07-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Mmm, indeed. Will they really enforce such a thing? I mean, are they going to hunt up thousands (or is it millions?) of people and take them all to prison or fine them such a huge amount? Even if they do, you'd think there would be some major civil problems (if that's the term I mean) because of it. I don't think people would take too kindly to that.

Something about that sounds pretty off to me anyway.

MANDRAG GANON
07-17-2003, 01:15 PM
LoL they are going a little too far here, i wish they would worry about real problems, compared to the crimes that happen every minute sharing music is SO miniscule. *uploads music to Kazaa* Stupid people, people sharing music is such a threat to society here....some one needs a royal kick in the ass and then some, If someone threw me in jail for sharing music I'd make it worth my while and kill everyone who was around me when the cops came to get me, and everyone along the way. Atleast then i have a reason to be thrown in jail and am a threat. Stupid people only makes a worse problem. Fuck heads. *uploads more music* Eat shit ass hats

Maverick_Zero
07-17-2003, 01:18 PM
There'll be no way to enforce that law for the entire population. And how is it a felony if you could buy the single for 10 bucks?
Pish, and even if they do try to put me in jail, like Mandrag said, I'm not going to be go along quietly. :D

DarkDragon
07-17-2003, 01:28 PM
More of the scare tactics the industry has been using for quite a while. There's of course no way they can catch all offenders, but this bill would allow them to make an example of random individuals by screwing them hard.

bigjoe
07-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Do you think this will discourage the MANY people who share files on the internet? Hell no. I hear the getting on <i>a certain rpg creation utility</i> is good on kazaa , by the way , since websites that host it get shut down ;-)

AlexMax
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Solution. Quit using Kazaa and stick with discreet P2P networks. Or just don't use P2P at all. Find other ways.

Seriously, the nation has higher priorities than this.

Menokh
07-17-2003, 01:49 PM
I think the new version of Kazaa lite(I don't know if it is out yet) will or does protect your IP address making it harder to track you.

So this bill can't possibly stop die hard sharers, or in fact many casual ones. All I want to know is why does our government waste its time considering such draconian methods of copyright protection instead of more important things, like AIDS or the unemployment rate?

MANDRAG GANON
07-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Or stick to using kazaa so we can go nuts and kill all these fuck heads, thats my solution :) I strongly suggest my idea. Use scare tactics of our own :P of course I'm slightly kidding but its funny

bigjoe
07-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Solution. Quit using Kazaa and stick with discreet P2P networks. Or just don't use P2P at all. Find other ways.

Seriously, the nation has higher priorities than this.

Thats a solution for panzies. dont let their scare tactics get you. Just laugh , and be anarchic =P

I think the new version of Kazaa lite(I don't know if it is out yet) will or does protect your IP address making it harder to track you. Yep. It blocks a range of IP adresses including FBI , RIAA, CIA, and even some IP adresses that are beleived to be associated with the pentagon.

DarkPanther
07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't think they have any real problems until we gain the ability to trade uranium on P2P networks. :B

gdorf
07-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I use either Bit torrent or IRC DC for most things now. Bit torrent is great for getting games and moves. Too bad it runs from a central server, because it will someday be shut down. As for IRC DC, you can get pretty much anything you want from IRC, as long as you have something to give.

Breaker
07-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
I use either Bit torrent or IRC DC for most things now. Bit torrent is great for getting games and moves. Too bad it runs from a central server, because it will someday be shut down.

You have no idea how bittorrent works, do you? Each torrent is seeded from individual sources, there's no 'central server'. Why is it people fill what they don't know with complete bullshit, -_-

you can get pretty much anything you want from IRC, as long as you have something to give.

Have you ever even been into an xdcc or serving channel? What the hell are you talking about, "have something to give"?

gdorf
07-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Well, each torrent file has a tracking server that must be there in able to download the torrents contents. If the riaa were able to take out a few of the larger tracking servers, it would severely limit the ammount of downloads that actually work. I guess I should have said Central Servers. I thought it was only one server because I opened a few torrent files in notepad, and they all had the same tracker.

As far as IRC, the channels I visit are basically just meeting places for people to trade. :shrug:

Breaker
07-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Each group that releases torrents can setup their own trackers, and usually do. If the RIAA took down one of their servers (unlikely since the riaa and mpaa are dicking around with garbage like Kazaa) all they would have to do is set another up, it's not difficult and definitely wouldn't severely limit the number of functioning torrents.

As far as IRC, the channels I vist are basically just meeting places for people to trade

-_-

tgf_guy
07-17-2003, 10:59 PM
A little severe; then again, perhaps the deterrant must be great for it to work? I still consider it too severe to warrant jail time to those who upload copyrighted files.

MrCow
07-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Well, each torrent file has a tracking server that must be there in able to download the torrents contents. If the riaa were able to take out a few of the larger tracking servers, it would severely limit the ammount of downloads that actually work. I guess I should have said Central Servers. I thought it was only one server because I opened a few torrent files in notepad, and they all had the same tracker.

As far as IRC, the channels I visit are basically just meeting places for people to trade. :shrug:

... torrents have nothing to do with web server... torrents are direct serving from one person to multiple others. you upload as you download. there is one main seeder to start it off but more seeders are picked up as they download.

irc is a place to meet others but its not always just to trade. there are distros and websites with ftps for distros and so forth.

gdorf
07-18-2003, 01:29 AM
... torrents have nothing to do with web server... torrents are direct serving from one person to multiple others. you upload as you download. there is one main seeder to start it off but more seeders are picked up as they download.

Actually... no. Your wrong. Each torrent file has a server behind it that tracks who is downloading that particular file and coordinates the downloads. You do, in fact, download from other seeders, but it is the tracker that organizes it all. Don't believe me? Open up a torrent file and on the first line you'll find the address of the tracking server for that file. Also, note that local port 6969 is used when you download using bit torrent. This is the port that is used for connecting to the tracker.

irc is a place to meet others but its not always just to trade. there are distros and websites with ftps for distros and so forth.

.. I know. :rolleyes: