PDA

View Full Version : Locked Doors

Drakmyth
07-13-2003, 08:49 PM
How do I make a locked door in a cave dmap? I don't want touse dungeons because I don't fully trust the freeform dungeon option and I cannot use/find the lockblock considering I'm using the 192 163 windows version. I don't think lockblocks had been implemented at that point. I am using this version because I use the quest templates alot and the latest builf has a fatal glitch in that area. Should this glitch be fixed in the next release (which it probably will be) I will use that version but until then...

[NOTE] I also need to know how to make chests (perferably not "slash -> secret" chests. [NOTE]

Jigglysaint
07-13-2003, 09:26 PM
First of all, get beta 182. Second, you are out of luck unless you do use freeform dungeons, or lock blocks. Instead of using a quest template, try using an exmple quest with the tiles you want, then just erase the maps. It's worth the inconvience compared to the power you will have when using 182.

You can make chests that open when you kill everything, step on a switch, or use a key or boss key, but it has to be a big chest or the player could just walk up to the chest and take it. What you do is get the chest tile, put the top half of the chest on layer 2+ and the bottom half on layer 1. If you make them lock blocks, remember that the block changes into the next in the combo list, so for 2 blocks you need 4 tiles, the upper left chest tile, a floor tile or black square, then the right side, then continue with the bottom in a like manner. You can trigger lock blocks on layer 0 and 1, and lock blocks will dissappear making the rest of the chest open. Inside of couse, is the item you want.

idontknow
07-13-2003, 09:30 PM
locked doors
well, basically to make off center locked doors, make each part of the door a lock block combo & next to each combo used as part of the door should be each part of the door when opened. the closed parts should all be lock blocks; bear in mind that lock block combos are what link actually walks against to open, while the lock block2 combos open themselves when lock block combos are opened--all lock block & lock block 2 combos open together as well. to make it so link walks under the appropriate part(s), like by the edge of the screen, make those parts 'overhead' combos

Treasure Chests
-To make a treasure chest, you must have two combos; one must be a slash (or slash->item) combo that looks like a closed treasure chest and the other must be a regular combo that looks like an opened chest.
-place the closed treasure chest on the screen & place flag 10 over it.
-click on the combo of the opened chest & then set it as the undercombo.
-set the room type as "secret item" and set the secret item to be whatever's is in the treasure chest

More Advanced treasure chests
-to make a treasure chest appear, either check the "enemies->secret" screen flag, or simply place a weapon flag (or a tirgger combo) on the screen.
-then place flag 16 where you want the chest to appear
-set all secret combos, including flag 16, which will be the opened treasure chest. hold ctrl, & click on the secret combo of flag 16, which is the chest, and click on flag 10.
-now, do set the undercombo to the opened chest & the secret item
-to make a locked chest, simply following all guidlines for making a regular chest, except make a lock block combo that looks like a locked treasure chest, before the regular, closed chest, and place that on the screen. now link has to walk up to it with a key (to "unlock" it) before opening it.

Note: why not just use the latest beta? its more stable than you think and you don't even need templates! (there's a door combo editor which lets ya edit door sets so you can automatically put in doors very easily and you can even draw them in yourself when using the freeform dungeon rule)

Drakmyth
07-13-2003, 10:02 PM
So I can't use lockblocks in 163... okay then. I will use 182 for now but has DN left any clues as to the next version release? (ie. soon, within the next few months, etc.)