PDA

View Full Version : New Project

DarkFlameWolf
07-13-2003, 01:26 PM
In lieu of waiting for artwork for my next big project: Lost Isle. I'm doing a second quest in the meantime to tide me over for the 'main' event, so to speak. I don't really know if its going to be bigger than HD or smaller, but I do know it'll be another 9 dungeon romp. But it'll be slightly different than before, it'll have a story, strung along with a series of boss flags so they only happen once. Multiple areas to visit. So there is no longer 1-2 128 screen overworlds to explore anymore. Its just one big overworld comprised of many areas that could be as small as 15 screens but as big as 64. (BS overworlds natch) So this gives me more freedom and room to explore and create a entire world for my quest. The first place you start off in is a lakeside village named Kari. Here is a screenshot of the opening screen after the intro, which I've yet to create, nor have I come up with a name for the entire quest either. Since I'm still planning the story. But here's a little tidbit on what I'm working on now, and yes, yes, its PureZC tileset, so no bitchin' or moaning. I've always wanted to make one quest with this set, so here it is. And I'm enjoying it dammit! LOL

http://www.planetdescent.com/darkwolf/temporary/kari.jpg

Sephiroth
07-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Sounds likt this quest will be a good one... I can't wait to see what is in that chest......

*Ponders about the treasure chest*

idontknow
07-13-2003, 03:04 PM
i can't wait to see what the story is & how you use the boss flags to create the one-time scenes! sounds very neat--good luck! (not that you'll need it :))

Petoe
07-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Hmm... Though you are using the famous PureZC set, the picture looks so good that at least I'm not gonna bitch at all. :)

Good luck! ;)

carrot red
07-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Keep on enjoying it, more fun for us afterwards.
I always liked PureZC tileset, "so no bitchin' or moaning" from me.
Your new projects all have new twists, can't wait for this one.
Snort, with DFW, that treasure chest could hold 5 rupies.

DarkFlameWolf
07-13-2003, 04:32 PM
ha ha
actually, there will be one overworld chest per area in the game. (outside of chests found in dungeons and caves) and each of those chests holds a map of that area. Handy for finding out if you've explored all screens of that area and checking for secrets. I'm debating if in areas where there is a dungeon entrance, I should put a compass in the overworld area.

carrot red
07-13-2003, 04:36 PM
I stand corrected.:tongue:

I'm debating if in areas where there is a dungeon entrance, I should put a compass in the overworld area.
Could you elaborate on that?

DarkFlameWolf
07-13-2003, 05:41 PM
well, the overworld areas are going to be 'cave' maps instead of 'overworld' or 'bs overworld' maps. So that way, I can make a map of each area without being restricted by dungeon map making rules and still have a map and compass work on that area. At least, this is my theory. lol
Anyway, this isn't the ENTIRE town, all of Kari spans 15 screens in total. And isn't square either. But here is a 2x2 section of what I've made so far. I'm trying my hardest not to make 'filler' or 'padding' screens to make an area seem bigger. I'm only going to go for what is needed for each area and move on. Now given, big areas like Gromalia Field or Validarn Desert will require some padding to fill out their big bulky areas, but boring screens, I hope, will be kept to a minimum. At least, that is what I'll try to do. Enjoy the screenshot everyone.
note: I've already edited some parts of this already upon posting this image, so its already obsolete. lol

http://www.planetdescent.com/darkwolf/temporary/kari2.jpg

EDIT: Also, see the two doors that are closed and locked? If only I had some pointers (aka step by step instructions) on how to have multiple tile warps leading to different areas on the same screen, I'd do multiple houses on every screen in a heartbeat.

Crackers
07-13-2003, 08:04 PM
DFW your quests are always a lot of fun to play and enjoyed by almost everyone. (If not, too bad for them) I'm sure this one will be another hit!! It's hard to wait for one of your "masterpieces" but will try to contain my impatience.

Jigglysaint
07-13-2003, 08:33 PM
I am so glad that events are being used as a common Zquest staple, as well as chests.

Raichu86
07-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Looking good DFW. Though, I question how that blue rupee will work on the same screen as the chest, since it seems you can't have an item on the same screen as a armos->item flag (picking up item one causes the other to disappear). ;)

DarkFlameWolf
07-14-2003, 01:12 AM
hmm....really? I thought it would work. Since one item seems to be separate from the other. One item is stored in the special item room and the other is stored as a item for that screen. At least, that how it worked in Fallen One in one of my screens.

KJAZZ
07-14-2003, 01:49 AM
Looks good, but tell me, why is Link written on that house? Does Link simply need to tell anyone who might pass by that he lives there? ;P

Cloral
07-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf
Also, see the two doors that are closed and locked? If only I had some pointers (aka step by step instructions) on how to have multiple tile warps leading to different areas on the same screen, I'd do multiple houses on every screen in a heartbeat.

Check my second post in the "Would you like to make a contribution to the ZQuest tutorial?" topic - it details how its done. However, I should warn you right now that it is a bit awkward to use, and each screen that uses it requires its own warp ring, meaning that the total number you can have is a bit limited.

DarkFlameWolf
07-14-2003, 01:03 PM
no, Kjazz, its meant for the player to realize which house is Link's, because later in the game an event will happen here and you'll want to know which house is yours. ;) And thanks Cloral

KJAZZ
07-14-2003, 03:12 PM
I know, but it seems a bit odd..;P

*Cough*It's KJAZZ.*Cough*

DarkFlameWolf
07-14-2003, 04:34 PM
okay kjazz. :)
Anyway, here is the entire first area of the quest. Your home town: Kari Village.
There are exactly 2-5 rupee pieces, 2-20 rupee pieces and 1-50 rupee piece hidden in this town. And 1 HC piece as well as a fairy fountain and a hidden rupee cave.

http://www.planetdescent.com/darkwolf/temporary/kari3.jpg

DarkFlameWolf
07-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I forgot all of your emails and forgot most of your usernames, but I remember having 4 testers who beat HDX. And I was wondering if they'd email me at [email protected]. I'll let you test this new quest. Its still in the beginning stages and I'll send you a new beta each time I complete a area or dungeon. So you can continually test and see it grow and develop into a fully fledged quest. But first, I need your contact information since I lost it earlier.

EDIT: Probably no one will notice this edit, since this topic is further down the page, but oh well, here are the first two screens of my new beach area. Its not much yet, but its a transition 2 screens before Link hits the real beach. Notice the sunny new palette to accompany the beach area.
http://www.planetdescent.com/darkwolf/temporary/beach.jpg