PDA

View Full Version : Caves & Volcanoe's

idontknow
07-12-2003, 11:52 AM
i'm making a cave with many entrances/exits that lead out to various parts of the overworld & i need suggestion as to how to go about doing it--i don't know why its soo hard--i'm good at overworlds & stuff--how can i make a cave without it being just another place to wonder around aimlessly? how can it be interesting?

also, how would you go about making a fire themed dungeon? what tiles/combos should i use? what items should i include? (i'm planning on having the hammer be one of the special items) should it be a volcanoe? should it be a volcanoe (which will prob be too hard for me) or just a regular dungeon? should i use cave tiles or simply dungeon tiles instead? what should the boss be? if you have any suggestions, please let me know...thanks!

Tsukuru
07-12-2003, 12:00 PM
If you're going for a volcanoe feel, then I'd definitely use cave tiles along with lava tiles if you have them. There is also a fireball sprite that you could import, I think it's been colored for the pureset and ML. Since it's a volcanoe and a random work of nature, I'd use freeform to make it non-symmetrical and make rooms more than 1 screen big.

Questwizard88
07-12-2003, 02:28 PM
well... caves are kinda quite easy for me, and i use a combination of lava, maybe some steam filling the area near the center of the volcano, and reddish colored tiles, because it is very hot in a volcano

Jarty
07-12-2003, 04:15 PM
How can you make caves interesting... One could make them like mini-dungeons, with a prize at the end. One could make it so that the player can't get through the next cave without visiting another cave first (to collect an item, etc). One could connect caves to dungeons, or one can make them hard to find. There are many things to do with caves, you just need to figure out what you want to do...

Sephiroth
07-12-2003, 04:44 PM
you can use my idea.. make a cave that spans about 2 complete maps... make that cave extremely hard.. then at the end, put the master sword there.. I like that sort of idea.. :D

Questwizard88
07-15-2003, 04:05 AM
im doing something like that, execpt it will be where the final boss 9it, and it will span at least 3 overworld maps... right now, the master sword will be hidden in an extremely well hidden dingeon, and will also be big

lord_jamitossi
07-23-2003, 04:52 PM
for a fire-themed level, you could do like i did in my first quest (to be released... most likely never) where it's a big mansion on fire. fuse a floor tile and an enemy fireball and put it with a 1 or 2 damage combo type (with overlap- O). the hammer is a good item for fire, as are the boots (walk through fire), and mabye the magic rod, depending how far you are in the game. If you have all the tiles, you could also give din's fire as a special item. combo cycling is good for a realistic fire dungeon, you can have the fire spread across the room if the player isn't fast enough, and countless other stuff!

Majin_Tobias
07-24-2003, 06:20 PM
You might have difficulty making the volcano a dungeon/level. I tried it once, there were invisible walls and I couldn't just make whatever I wanted. It had to be conform to the dungeon style. But I think BS Overworld setting in DMaps fixes it and lets you make the map a labeled level.......I don't recall. Be sure you have the right level _color_ number for your volcano so the combos cycle correctly.

Ganonator
07-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Time for a few J:R references..... *sigh*

In the Fire Shrine, the level is all side scrolling. It is the best way I can think of actually getting the volcano to look right. When link hits the bottom of the side scrolling part, there are top-down views of the floors, and then he goes back up. Almost like the camera switch for FF7.

ShadowTiger
07-25-2003, 12:21 PM
All I can tell you, is this (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74215).