PDA

View Full Version : what playstation2 games should i buy?

idontknow
07-09-2003, 11:04 PM
what ps2 games should i buy soon? what do you all think is the best just released or soon-to-be released game? and what is the best all time game for ps2? also, what do you think would be the best game for me, when considering the following:
-i'm not a sports fan but i do like golf/tennis/soccer somewhat
-i like shoot 'em games (such as james bond, which i have the Agent Under Fire game-althou i didn't like it too much-way too easy for me)
-my favorite kind of games include adventure/rpg (i have final fantasy X and i love zelda-like games, such as Ocarina of Time for N64)
-i enjoy puzzle games (such as Tetris, which i do have) but they can get somewhat boring after awhile
-i love multiplayer games that are really fun (but not sports game)
-the thing i like most about a game is being able to unlock many secrets (such as levels, characters, game modes, etc.)
-i hate games that are way too easy/simple--i want a game that will keep me busy for weeks, even months!, whether it be trying to reach the final level or unlock all secrets
- decent graphics are a must!

sooo..any recommendations?

Master Ghaleon
07-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Try Contra - Shattered Soldier out, I liked the game but its kinda short.

Another game that I like is Hot Shots or Tiger Woods (Golf Games)

Brasel
07-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Wait for Soul Calibur 2!

Either that, or go with Armored Core 2 (one of my personal favs) or 3, if its out.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is also a great recommendation. No multiplayer, but loads upon loads of things to unlock.

stormwatcheagle
07-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Vice City (old, but good)

Kingdom Hearts (also old, but good)

Anything Grandia

there's more, but I can't think of it

Daarkseid
07-10-2003, 01:36 AM
A very decent First Person Shooter for the PS2 is Red Faction. For some reason, the developers for that game only made the multiplayer mode 2 player, ignoring entirely that the 4 player adapter for the PS2 is widely available.

The single player game though is very good, and has a compelling story(leading a miner's rebellion on Mars). The coolest feature being that almost everything in the game is destructable with the Geo-Mod engine, so you can actually blast your own tunnels through the caverns of Mars. Theres also a variety of vehicles you'll end up using as well, one of them being this really cool slow moving drilling machine that bores through walls and stuff. The game can also get excessively difficult, even on standard difficulty, so in some areas I've found myself having to reload my saved game because I get killed in a tricky area.

They also released Red Faction 2 last winter, but I've heard that the single player game plays so differently as far as the pace goes that its difficult to determine how much better it is over the first Red Faction. The multiplayer mode, however, has been fixed to allow 4 players at once, and I also hear the game has support for the PS2's USB keyboard and mouse peripherals, meaning you can play the game using the ideal key and mouse configuration that PC gamers take for granted with PC FPS games.

Master Ghaleon
07-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Also try Mortal Kombat, all those tombs to unlock and you go through all those player trials, that will keep you busy

El Oso Verde
07-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Silent Hill 2 - Similar to Resident Evil, but much scarier and much much better (It's greatest hits too)

War of the Monsters - FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN Multiplayer

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - awesome

Bloodstar64
07-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
They also released Red Faction 2 last winter, but I've heard that the single player game plays so differently as far as the pace goes that its difficult to determine how much better it is over the first Red Faction. The multiplayer mode, however, has been fixed to allow 4 players at once, and I also hear the game has support for the PS2's USB keyboard and mouse peripherals, meaning you can play the game using the ideal key and mouse configuration that PC gamers take for granted with PC FPS games.

Red Faction 2 seems geared for multiplayer more then single player. The singleplayer game could be beat in one sitting if the gamer is good enough. There ain't as much to destroy either, one of the features that made RF1 good.

Dragon
07-11-2003, 02:06 AM
The Grand Theft Auto games sould be your first choice... hands down. Those games should keep you tied up for awhile. Metal Gear Solid Substance is cool. For puzzle games I recommend Super Bust a Move 2, its a great puzzle game with an edit mode that lets you make your own levels.

KingArthur
07-11-2003, 02:57 AM
.hack//infection and //mutation pretty kickass RPGs with a really interesting and deep story

Brasel
07-11-2003, 05:14 AM
The Grand Theft Auto games are WAY overrated. Killing people and even doing the missions gets old fast.

Grasshopper
07-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Have you ever walked by the games and have seen a game and wondered "I wonder what thats like"?

Those are the games you should buy. Why? Because just because you like a certain type of game doesn't mean you'll like that particular game. And games that you aren't interested in may be your favorites.

Brasel
07-11-2003, 03:38 PM
I'd rent them first though.

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
07-12-2003, 11:26 PM
He said he didn't want shootem up games, Stop saying GTA.

Maverick_Zero
07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
If you want something like Zelda with a cool new twist, I would say that the .hack games would be good. Other than that, I'd just get the new Soul Calibur 2 when it comes out.

idontknow
07-13-2003, 04:52 PM
what's the "hack" game? what are the characters? what do you do? how old is it? good graphics & game play?

Grasshopper
07-13-2003, 09:06 PM
No, not "hack" ".hack" Hehe. Prononced (Dot Hack) Its recently came out, and I hear the games are pretty decent. And if you want a BIG RPG, thats a big one. Its got 6 parts to the games, and you can carry your saved data over to each game. Infection and Mutation are out now, and Outbreak and Quarantine come out in August and November. I've never played them, but some of the others are saying you should try them out

Jawa Podracer
07-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Dynasty Warriors 4 is good. I heard Dark Cloud 2 is good, I haven't played it though.

Maverick_Zero
07-15-2003, 04:27 PM
I know you said you didn't like sports games, but the NBA Street games are good. I'm not a big fan of sports games either, but the game is really great and fun. There are two, I liked one better, but they're pretty much the same. So I'd go with 2, it has for features then the first.