PDA

View Full Version : Best portable MP3 player?

Raichu86
07-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm looking around, trying to find the best portable MP3 player, as I'm sick of waiting for CDs to load and not being able to change their contents without throwing them away and burning a new one. The thing about most MP3 players is that they don't offer much space for a very expensive price. The ones in Wal-Mart at best are over $100 for just 128 MB. That's simply too small. I want at least 1 GB, I want style, and I want it for less than $200.

I've got my eyes on this beauty from Creative... 10 GB USB hard drive, all the audio features I want, and USB 2.0 compatibility. Best price is around $170.
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox2/features.asp

Of course, I want to find the best deal I can before I decide. So, does anybody have recommendations? :D

AlphaDawg
07-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Personally I would save up for an iPod. They're a little pricey ($299 for a 10 GB) but it's worth it.

Drunken Tiger
07-09-2003, 08:25 PM
I have a cd/mp3 player... I think Saviour would be familiar with the iRiver SlimX 400 ... ;)

Its the slimmest around and the anti shock is a beauty!! :thumbsup:

The price should have dropped by now.. been out for a while.. you can burn your mp3's onto a cd and just play it off the cd... ;) i tend to use rewritables... i change my playlist very often...:p

Raichu86
07-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by AlphaDawg
Personally I would save up for an iPod. They're a little pricey ($299 for a 10 GB) but it's worth it.
I would do that, but I'm hoping to convince my dad to get it for my birthday, and he think $170 is pricey. :p

Originally posted by Drunken Tiger
I have a cd/mp3 player... I think Saviour would be familiar with the iRiver SlimX 400 ... ;)

The price should have dropped by now.. been out for a while.. you can burn your mp3's onto a cd and just play it off the cd... ;) i tend to use rewritables... i change my playlist very often...:p
I'm currently using a RioVolt SP90, which does all that... except, I'm pretty sure it doesn't read RW's. :shrug:

The Savior
07-09-2003, 10:05 PM

Yes, I am familar with that. I've got a 350 myself, and it's convinced me that I'll never buy anything except iRiver mp3 players. The remote is absolutly perfect, the player unit is super-thin, and firmware updates to top it off. Although if the iPod supported ogg, I might be persuaded to get one of those....

vegeta1215
07-10-2003, 12:41 AM
I've tried and iPod in the store. They are pretty nice. I only wish they had support for Ogg Vorbis. If they did, I'd probably get one.

The Savior
07-10-2003, 01:27 AM
I was just at the iRiver site, and it appears that vorbis support is confirmed for all 250 and up unit. I can't describe how cool that is, I thought I'd have to buy a 550 to get it.

linkofzelda1
07-10-2003, 01:47 AM
I have an IPod myself....as long as you have a FireWire port or an I-Link port, you're good to go...i think the new ones have dropped to $200 for a 10 gig now, though i could be wrong. I have the old one, which i got for christmas about a half a year ago, and it's still going strong. Currently i have about 400-500 songs on it, which includes several audio books.

Drunken Tiger
07-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Errrmm... What is Org Vorbis??? :confused:

Menokh
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Errrmm... What is Org Vorbis??? :confused:

It's an audio compression formet, very similar to MP3 except it tends to sound better at the same compression rates. For example take an MP3 of one song at 128 kbs and an OGG file of the same song at the same rate, and the OGG will probably sound better.

It is also open source and it is possible to convert MP3's to it, but not reccomended since changing one lossy format to another could result in lower quality sound.

As for the MP3 player, I'd get an iPod, if I had the money for it.

Raichu86
07-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm betting that when OGG becomes more popular, MP3 players with upgradable firmware will allow you to get new firmware that will play OGGs.Maybe not, but I don't see why not.