PDA

View Full Version : Liberia

Starkist
07-09-2003, 12:16 PM
There's someone who doesn't want us to leave them alone, they're rioting in the streets, begging for US intervention.

My point today however, is that every time I see a headline about the country, I read it wrong. For example, on Yahoo today it says 'Liberians Storm Air Port for US Peace Forces." I had to sit there for a moment and wonder why our nation's librarians were storming airports.... of course, I left my glasses in my room.... :tongue:

Rainman
07-09-2003, 12:21 PM
People only like us when their leaders are really bad. Saddam for instance... I hear the guys that runs Liberia is also an asshole.

carrot red
07-09-2003, 12:24 PM
The way I saw it on CNN, there was a demonstration and a counter one. And President Bush did pledge US involvement.

"PRETORIA, South Africa - President Bush pledged Wednesday that the United States will "be involved" in war-torn Liberia but said he would not overextend U.S. armed forces if he sends troops there to join a peacekeeping force."

Remind me to buy you a second set of glasses just in case...:tongue:

Tsukuru
07-09-2003, 12:43 PM
At least someone is actually asking for our involvement.

A number of Iraqis have protested against further US involvement in the reconstruction of Iraq, while there are those that welcome our help in some way. I guess there are always two sides to the fence. :shrug:

Rainman
07-09-2003, 12:46 PM
America is a viewed as an Imperialist threat and no one likes that. They think we'll run them as a sort of puppet state and suck there nation dry while all the natives are poor as hell. They aren't totally wrong to fear that. US has had it's share of Imperialist tendencies in the past. I personally don't think that they have anything to fear.

TheGeepster
07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Part of it is that America is a bit arrogant at times, but there may also be the misconception that we're out to build an empire.

Perhaps the problem in Iraq was that some of its people were willing that we would get rid of the oppressive party which persecuted them, but they want us to let them have the same kind of power. For being a supposed religion of peace, Islam in the Middle East seems to be fairly violent and not very peaceful. Of course, this doesn't necessary reflect on Muslims in other areas of the world.