PDA

View Full Version : Video game trance.

Trevelyan_06
07-09-2003, 12:11 AM
This is a warning to all video gamers out there. If you play certain games for a long period of time, you may experience what is know as the "video game trance". This is where you are so focused on a video game that you don't pay attetion to your surrondings.

A case in point:

Sir_Anthony was in his room playing Morrowind. He's been playing for hours. I asked him how long he has been playing and he informed me that he didn't know nor did he care. I preceded to tell him that I would take advantage of his video game trance being as that I was bored. He dismissed that idea of the video game trance. He was proved wrong.

About 5 minutes ago I snuck up behind him when he was playing the game and yelled very loudly "HEY TONY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" He proceeded to nearly jump out of his chair and fall down. He did however manage to pause the video game as he was jumping out of the chair which say something for his reflexes. I thought this was quite funny even though I got hit in the leg for my efforts. Sir_Anthony didn't think it was so funny.

So if any of you see someone in a video game trance I say, take advantage of it. Perhaps stack random objects on top of thier head to see if the notice. Place funny signs on thier backs. Poke them with sticks. Whatever you do with them have fun, but beware of violent reactions. :tongue:

Tsukuru
07-09-2003, 02:28 AM
You're such a nice roommate! But I do get like that with Zelda Classic sometimes, and it's becoming a bad habit.

Foxy
07-09-2003, 02:34 AM
Heh...I thought it only took the flip of the "ON" button to give a guy that video game trance...

*BWAHAHAHA*

The Savior
07-09-2003, 02:56 AM
One time I was at a friend's house, and him and 3 other kids were playing Pokemon 64 for about 4 hours. They wouldn't respond to anything. So we grabbed a beaching ball, and bounced it on all of they're heads, and they still played the game without noticing! That's the most extreme cast of VGT I've seen.

Starkist
07-09-2003, 02:59 AM
Morrowind's much cooler than real life... well, my life. What if real life is merely an illusion we are entranced in, we're in so far that nothing can distract us?

Trevelyan_06
07-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Tsukuru
You're such a nice roommate! But I do get like that with Zelda Classic sometimes, and it's becoming a bad habit.

Hey, I try my best. It's just that I get bored alot and when I do I usually go pick on Sir_Anthony. One of these days he'll just kill me. And it isn't like it's all one way either. Sir_Anthony has pulled some pretty good pranks on me. Like throwing stuff at me and my gf when we are on the couch kissing. It all balances out in the end.

AlexMax
07-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Rez tends to do that for me. Other than that, somehow I'm rather aware of my surroundings. :P

Rainman
07-09-2003, 02:36 PM
I have been known to go into a video game trance. My mom absolutely hates this. She's actually walked up to me and ask me rather loudly a question only to have me totally not acknowledge her exsitence. She takes this personally and I've gotten into trouble for it.

Brasel
07-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I will admit that last night was pretty fucking hilarious. I've done the same to him while he is on the computer browsing the internet.

Or the time I yelled "NO TIME FOR LOVE, DR. JONES!" into his open bedroom door when him and his girlfriend were making out. (They breed like rabbits)

Rijuhn
07-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I love it when I go into video game trances. I remember one time I was playing a game Tetris 64 for 33 minutes. During that one game my mom came in to put some socks up and asked me if I wanted to eat dinner, and I said yes, apparently. Then later she came in with dinner and she tried to give it to me and I told her I never asked for dinner and she got mad and left. 10 minutes later I forgot she ever came in my room. It was funny. Then I got a headache.

I have a similar thing with listening to music, at least music without words. I'll start to listen to the music and before I know it I don't even hear it, so then if I turn it off I can't stand the quiet, so I turn it back on loudly and I can think properly again.

Tygore
07-09-2003, 03:32 PM
I do that with Chrono Trigger sometimes. Or during a multiplayer game such as SSB:M, I'll concentrate on winning so hard I'll enter a semi-trance.

Trevelyan_06
07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sir Anthony
[B]I will admit that last night was pretty fucking hilarious. I've done the same to him while he is on the computer browsing the internet.

Yeah that was pretty funny I'll have to admit. I prompted me to make sure that my door was always closed after that.

Jawa Podracer
07-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I get into a video game trance a lot. My mom will ask me to do something, and I say okay, and she leaves. Then, when I'm done playing I forgot what she asked me to do. Also, my brother threw about 5 empty 2 liter soda bottles at me, then 2 empty cans. Then, when he hit me with a full soda bottle, I snaped out, and my body hurt all over. I didn't feel the pain until I snapped out of the trance.

Raichu86
07-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Such a trance happens to me sometimes. But I normally know when I'm in a trance and manage to break out of it.

Nobody else in my house plays video games, so I can't have any fun. :(

Trevelyan_06
07-10-2003, 01:03 AM
So once again tonight, Sir_Anthony will be playing Morrowind for who know's how long. This means that he will enter into a video game trance and I will have to take advantage of this. Now I have already scared the poop out of him once so I have decided on something new. I shall post things on his door be as it is bare and it needs some flare. I have a microsoft word, will type up anything funny, internet access of course, however I only have a black and white print cartridige. What I need from everyone is some ideas.

TheGeepster
07-10-2003, 07:05 PM
/me looks up from Super Smash Bros Melee and asks what the topic is again.

I'm not sure I've ever entered into a VGT myself.. For one, I can hear and respond to the phone call.

Dogchew9
07-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Iv'e been caught in quite a few of those. heck, sometimes i can't even hear my brother yell when he's 1 room away.

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
07-13-2003, 02:25 AM
I get that on online games mostly... It just sucks when people try to talk to you, especially when they no damn well that you don't hear or give a rats ass to what they are saying. I was in a WC3 game and was in a big ass battle and my mom asked me where my brother went... of corse I didn't respond, she stood there for about 5 minutes and says my name than repeats the question, I say nothing, she than gets pissed off and slams her room door which is about 3 feet away from the computer, I snap and realize the question she asked so I leave the game alone for maybe a minute to answer the question, I get back to the game and my base was being raped and my units were getting slaughtered left and right. This has happened more than once and if I don't go answer her after I realize that she asked me a question she gets pissed off and we end up in an argument about how I never pay attention when im playing a game and all that shit.