PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Good Dungeons

Tsukuru
07-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Anyone have tips for creating a good dungeon, in terms of layout and puzzles? I ask because this probably the most important part of the game.

idontknow
07-07-2003, 12:37 PM
1. every good dungeon should feature a few good block puzzles
2. block puzzles should require 'link' to 'think'--maybe put in some block trigger flags & then add in the push flags accordingly so that the player has to move blocks a certain way in order to cover all the triggers
3. using secondary flags, you can have some very neat puzzles, such as what i call "torch triggers", where the player must burn all 'torches' in a certain sequence to reveal a secret, such as a passageway or treasurechest
4. have 2 or 3 dmaps for each dungeon is pretty good too--dungeons should be a good size but not too vast
5. i think every dungeon should have a map, compass, 2 special items, a number of keys, & maybe even a boss key (if using beta 182)
6. lock blocks always help! they are good for making offcenter locked doors & even locked treasure chests
7. hide secrets in very unsuspecting places! for example, hiding a trigger underneath a pot can be nice, as well as hiding items underneath overhead posts, or inside the stomach of a monster ;)
8. custom bosses aren't a must but they do help (but keep in mind making them can be difficult & time consuming)

--for more detailed info, see my tutorial--you can now download a typed-out help file which contains all the text from the tutorial for easy, convenient viewing if you like. the tutorial covers just about everything you asked for--tips for a good block puzzle, how to make lock blocks, offcenter shutters, secondary flags, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Knil
07-08-2003, 04:35 PM
didnt quite read all of idks list, but i think he may have covered it all.......I personally( a zelda veteran, with almost all of the games under my belt) prefer the block puzzles to be evilly hard, like some of the ones in the heros cave on ages and seasons.....but also a mix with the easy, and intermediate puzzles. every now and then throw in something like what i did with a dark room and a path with many twists through armos that you couldnt see....all in the first three dungeons......heh heh....just whatever you feel would be most entertaining to yourself, and to others, but dont forget to challenge yourself, as you should be the first one to play it. even if you know everything that happens in the game, how to do every puzzle because you made it, itll still be fun to see the diffuculty of the quest...(just give a quest you made a few weeks with out thought from completion the first playing, and youll have a great time!!!)

zerox
07-09-2003, 06:43 AM
i though it was just me who didi that i have about 40 print outs of different walkthroughs including idontknows and alphadawgs and about three other peoples ones