PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Infringement Pisses me off

stormwatcheagle
07-06-2003, 12:52 AM
I dono if this is more of a bitching thing, but I know more people will see this here.

Tsunami Channel, my most favorite web comic in the whole world. The author of this comic, Akira, decided to make a new story line/comic called Magical Mina. It is very cool. At least I like it. Now, apparently, some BITCH took my man's comic, and is calling it her own on another website. You can tell it's not her's because his charachters appear in said comic strip. This sort of thing pisses me off. I mean, it makes me want to throtle whoever this girl is. Stealing someone else's work!

Original page
http://tsunamichan.keenspace.com/d/20020607.html

Blatent Rip-off
http://magicalproject.homestead.com/firstMM.html

My GOD! Can it get more obivious?

inori
07-06-2003, 01:54 AM
And yet people on this site are always talking about their pirated software.

Best thing you can do: make sure the original author is aware of the ripoff. He's the only one who can do anything about it under copyright law.

stormwatcheagle
07-06-2003, 02:29 AM
This is differnt. This is someone who's taking credit for something they didn't make. I may download music, but I won't say I wrote a song that linkin park released and put it on the net unchanged.

tgf_guy
07-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
This is differnt. This is someone who's taking credit for something they didn't make. I may download music, but I won't say I wrote a song that linkin park released and put it on the net unchanged.

They are both forms of stealing, so, yes, they are similar.

Master Ghaleon
07-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by tgf_guy

They are both forms of stealing, so, yes, they are similar.

Downloading music from the internet or a person isnt stealing. Its sharing. The person puts it out for other people to download it. Not to be like, oh I put it out for a download and he stole it.

DarkDragon
07-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Although I'm certain musicians aren't the ones who are uploading their music for others to "share," I also disagree with tgf; there is, in my mind at least, a very clear distinction between piracy and plagiarism. In the former, the artists are at least retaining the recognition that accompanies widespread distribution, whereas in the latter, the artist is getting shafted completely.

tgf_guy
07-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Master Ghaleon

Downloading music from the internet or a person isnt stealing. Its sharing. The person puts it out for other people to download it. Not to be like, oh I put it out for a download and he stole it.

So, allow me to understand you: In the real world, if I copied songs from a CD I legally owned onto another CD, and gave them out to my friends, I would not be doing something illegal? (That is, distributing an illicit product that I do not own the copyright for.)

Originally posted by DarkDragon
there is, in my mind at least, a very clear distinction between piracy and plagiarism. In the former, the artists are at least retaining the recognition that accompanies widespread distribution, whereas in the latter, the artist is getting shafted completely.

You are entirely correct. I was simply stating that both were forms of stealing. (Hence, "similar.")

stormwatcheagle
07-06-2003, 05:23 PM

So, allow me to understand you: In the real world, if I copied songs from a CD I legally owned onto another CD, and gave them out to my friends, I would not be doing something illegal? (That is, distributing an illicit product that I do not own the copyright for.)

You are entirely correct. I was simply stating that both were forms of stealing. (Hence, "similar.")

That may be true, but it's slightly off topic.

tgf_guy
07-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle

That may be true, but it's slightly off topic.

Yes, my apologies, back to the topic at hand:

Has the author of the original comic threatened the person who stole it yet? I'd definately be angry if people stole something that I made. :angry:

stormwatcheagle
07-06-2003, 06:22 PM

Yes, my apologies, back to the topic at hand:

Has the author of the original comic threatened the person who stole it yet? I'd definately be angry if people stole something that I made. :angry:

He's the one that found it. Measures are being taken to stop it now. Still, I want to strangle this woman/girl. It's just plain wrong to steal other's work.

Dark Wolf
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
hmmm, i have run into problems like this, for those of you who don't know, i DO happen to be an artist, and i DO have art on the net. If memory serves me, there is something on the net similar to that of GNU but protects things like graphics. This is defineately illegal. A way of proving things is if you have origional drawings, developemental versions of the file, IE: photoshop (which i can tell this image was done in...) should help to prove your case, witnesses are also helpful. Some stuff, the GNU license similar thing, i am unsure of, so if anyone can clear it up, i'd be happy.

inori
07-07-2003, 12:50 AM
The GNU license doesn't have anything to do with it. It's a very basic, and very obvious, violation of copyright law.

Gerudo
07-07-2003, 09:31 AM
so lets try emailing homestead and gettign this peice of trash shut down...

edit: well that was already said... (referring to making the author aware)

Master Ghaleon
07-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Posted by tgf_guy

"So, allow me to understand you: In the real world, if I copied songs from a CD I legally owned onto another CD, and gave them out to my friends, I would not be doing something illegal? (That is, distributing an illicit product that I do not own the copyright for.)"

If you legally owned the cd you can do whatever you want with it. You can put it in a trash compacter if you wanted too. The only complaints that I have heard is that the music industry is whining about burning thier music. I dont hear Mircosoft complaining that people are sharing thier software, which I know alot of people burn OS to cd's and give them out to people.

Posted by Dark Wolf

"hmmm, i have run into problems like this, for those of you who don't know, i DO happen to be an artist, and i DO have art on the net. If memory serves me, there is something on the net similar to that of GNU but protects things like graphics. This is defineately illegal. A way of proving things is if you have origional drawings, developemental versions of the file, IE: photoshop (which i can tell this image was done in...) should help to prove your case, witnesses are also helpful. Some stuff, the GNU license similar thing, i am unsure of, so if anyone can clear it up, i'd be happy."

I feel like, dont but anything online if you dont wanna share it. Cause you know someone out there is gonna take your graphics that you worked hard to make and they are gonna take credit for.

DarkDragon
07-08-2003, 06:04 PM
If you legally owned the cd you can do whatever you want with it.
That happens to be in direct contradiction to the current US copyright laws on intellectual property...

I dont hear Mircosoft complaining that people are sharing thier software
The facts that Microsoft has "how to tell if this is a legal copy of Windows" in all their programs and manuals, and that Office XP has an elaborate internet-based copy protection scheme, does not give me the same impression.

Tsukuru
07-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Master Ghaleon
I feel like, dont but anything online if you dont wanna share it. Cause you know someone out there is gonna take your graphics that you worked hard to make and they are gonna take credit for.

I have that same kind of dillemma with the music I compose into midi files - It'd be great to be able to share them on the internet, but the sad part is I can trust people not to steal them, but there's always one person out there who thinks it's funny.

inori
07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Um... DarkDragon, I'm just going to presume that you intended to respond to that quote, and that you somehow forgot. Could you put the response in, so we can see it? :kawaii:

DarkDragon
07-10-2003, 01:39 AM
Umm... I'm not sure what happened, since I clearly remember trimming that quote, typing a response much similar to what I edited in now, and submitting the post without problems... I never had a chance to see it, since my forum options are set to take me back to the forum index after I post. Sorry for the confusion...

TheGeepster
07-10-2003, 07:13 PM
There is a difference between license to use intellectual property on a CD, and license to distribute the same intellectual property. When you buy a CD you buy the license to use that property for personal use, but you do not purchase distribution rights.

Now I do see how stealing and crediting yourself with a comic of any sort is a level beyond this kind of infringement.

You see that I use a hand-drawn picture of Shippou as an avatar, but I don't claim to have created the character. That credit goes to Rumiko Takahashi.