PDA

View Full Version : .bat file problems

zora man
07-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I just recently installed ms-dos on a computer and got aroung to loading games on the cp well I am trying to get doom to work....
when I run the file "install.bat" I get this gibberish...[]= rectangular block.
y [] x [] q []
it resembles that.
what do I need to do to run the game?
yes it is a dos game.

DarkDragon
07-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Open up the bat file in a text editor and dump it here. Then I may be able to help you...
On the other hand, you could also find a shareware copy of Doom95, which will run doom on any of the various Windows systems. If you have the registered IWAD for doom on your floppy, just copy it into the Doom95 directory, and start pummeling demons...
Doom95 is also nice in that it uses a simple windows interface instead of a bunch of command-line options, plus it'll allow you to play Doom in 640x480.

zora man
07-06-2003, 12:53 AM
So are you saying doom95 will run on a copmuter that only has ms dos installed?
And how would I dump the file(by text editor you mean notepad? o_0)
I dont know much about dos...this is the first time I had to use all those confusing command lines.....cd doom C:/doom doom.bat
See i'm learning =P.

Gerudo
07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
um, no... not notepad...

try 'edit file.bat'...

Shadowblazer
07-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Notepad works just as well as edit. :shrug:

Goat
07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
I think he's funny in DOS tho, if he's in DOS, im not sure but i dont think notepad will work

zora man
07-07-2003, 06:45 PM
I would open it in notepad then put it on a floppie and put on the other cp....hope that clears things up abit.
Well it didnt work.

DarkDragon
07-07-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm confused... your computer can run nothing but DOS? How are you connecting to the internet? Doom95 runs on Windows; if your computer can only run DOS, you'll have to get your batch file working. And no, notepad won't work in DOS.
If you have the doom floppy, place it in the floppy drive, then type
edit install.bat
and tell us what pops up.

MottZilla
07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
DOS is simple. :O Also, if you are playing Doom, download Doom Legacy for Windows. You get alot more options, graphical quailty, and sound quality. Doom is so much better with a high quality sound card, freelooking, 1024x768 resolution, etc.