PDA

View Full Version : God bless America

Zaphod Q. IX
07-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Although Independance Day is a great excuse for Americans to use copious amounts of drugs and play around with explosives, it is also a time for serious reflection and appreciation of the unprecedented freedom, prosperity, and standard of living we enjoy as citizens of this great nation.

Personally, I feel quite honored and lucky to be an American living in this amazing time. Just a reminder to the rest of the Americans in our little digital community; America might not be perfect, but think about it...you could be stuck in some tin-pot third world nation, with a sadistic dictator ruling over you with an iron fist.

I try to remember to thank God daily for all the gifts I've received; being born an American is large among them, as well as being blessed with my perfect wife, and strong family.

I spent a fair amount of the day meditating on these things (as well as working in my garage, and napping).

Then I partied and played with explosives. :sb:

Not trying to preach, just hoping to inspire some reflection and discussion among the group.

/me shrugs

BTW...we got the mohawk finished a few hours ago. :D

Cyberkitten, Cyd, and I are going to have to find an old taxi today so we can take some pictures for use as my "new" avatar. I look just like Deniro did, except I'm nowhere near as skinny. ;) The man looked like a toothpick!

Master Ghaleon
07-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod Q. IX
I try to remember to thank God daily for all the gifts I've received

I havent gotten any gifts from God... :cool:

But seriously, I am thankful that Im an american and living in america. Instead somewhere over there where freedom isnt welcome. I do feel sorry for those people that havent gotten to witness freedom yet and hopefully someday soon they will.

America rocks!!!!

~cydlet~
07-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod Q. IX

Cyberkitten, cyd, and I are going to have to find an old taxi today so we can take some pictures for use as my "new" avatar. I look just like Deniro did, except I'm nowhere near as skinny. ;) The man looked like a toothpick!

if i can hook my 7-yr-old nephew up with rides in a 1973 corvette, and old mustang, and a big-rig tow truck, i'm SURE i can score you a taxi! let me make some calls.
/me consults her list of favors to be called in

having visited a country where the phrases such as "freedom of speech" and "innocent 'til proven guilty" don't exist, and being queer could've landed me in jail, i'm much more appreciative of the freedoms i have.

Brasel
07-05-2003, 10:38 AM
God bless America! And for all our non-American members, happy Friday!

LORD APOCALYPSE
07-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Just one thing...

Originally by Zaphod Q. IX:
America might not be perfect, but think about it...you could be stuck in some tin-pot third world nation, with a sadistic dictator ruling over you with an iron fist.

In alot of cases it is america's fault that these third world nations have dictators. :lol:

Do not forget that.

:darkmage:

Rainman
07-05-2003, 11:14 PM
America is a great country, but hopefully not the best there will ever be.

AlphaDawg
07-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LORD APOCALYPSE
In alot of cases it is america's fault that these third world nations have dictators. :lol:Be more specific... in a lot of cases it's liberal Americans' fault.

/me goes back to reading Ann Coulter's "Treason"

Zaphod Q. IX
07-13-2003, 04:55 AM
It's sad really, how little attention this topic got...yet it did not surprise me to find it buried on page four of GD with a lousy six replies. Sometimes I wonder if our civilization will survive...

/me shakes his head

Originally posted by LORD APOCALYPSE
In alot of cases it is america's fault that these third world nations have dictators. :lol:
Do not forget that.

Originally posted by AlphaDawg
Be more specific... in a lot of cases it's liberal Americans' fault.

*Alphadawg goes back to reading Ann Coulter's "Treason"
You're both wrong, although Alphadawg gets partial credit for at least reading a damn book, and knowing who Ann Coulter is.

At the end of the day, those ruled by despots are responsible for their own sad existance. A dignified human would not tolerate that state of affairs. Our own country was founded by men who railed at the tryranny foisted upon them by Brittain, and were willing to die in the attempt to throw off the yoke.

The whole of human history is full of similar stories...how are modern day people not strong enough to do the same the fault of a specific nation?

/me goes back to reading Noam Chomsky's "Profit Over People: Neoliberalism & Global Order"

Matteo
07-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Zaph and Cyd, you said it right.. most people don't even being to realize how amazingly lucky they are to live in America...

Let Freedom Reign

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
07-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Yes... its good to be here.

carrot red
07-13-2003, 04:19 PM
It did get an attention, but very little could be added.
God bless America, the greatest Nation on Earth (no pun intended to non Americans.)
And like matt said, let freedom prevail.

TheGeepster
07-14-2003, 05:02 AM
And silly me, I got Ann Coulter mixed up with a journalist/editorial writer somewhere.

I shall have to buy Treason sometime.. when I have money..