PDA

View Full Version : can't get into my pc =(

Masamune
07-04-2003, 06:18 PM
i was fooling around with the ntoskrnl.exe file for some new boot screens and stuff. i decided to get exchange the original ntosrknl.exe with another one with gir on it. YOU ALL KNOW HOW MUCH I LUB TEH GIR! it turns out the ntoskrnl.exe containing the gir boot screen was corrupt and now i can't get onto my comp. it tells me to reinstall the file but i can't get it to boot off the disc. infact, it won't boot off of anything. i tried a win2k, winXP, amd win98 boot discs and none of them will work. any ideas on how to help? P.S. you were right geru... i should not have screwed with that file manually... -_-'

MrCow
07-04-2003, 06:52 PM
go into the bios set it to boot from the cd rom first not the hard drive

Masamune
07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
i did that to... =(

Gerudo
07-04-2003, 07:21 PM
make a startup disk...

i dont know the directions for it exactly, but it allows you to boot to 'dos'...

edit:

Originally posted by Masamune
P.S. you were right geru... i should not have screwed with that file manually... -_-' sorry to say, but i told you so... once you get your stuff running again, let me know and ill get you the program that does that stuff automatically...

Radium
07-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Ok, I doubt that you can't boot up to the windows XP CD... if so then you have your BIOS setting for boot sequence set wrong. You have to hit enter when it says "Press any key to boot to CD..." or it will continue to boot to windows. If that doesn't work then either your CD is scratched, your CD-ROM drive is busted (or not plugged in ;)), or you somehow downloaded a BIOS virus that won't let you boot to CD. You may try flashing your BIOS to a new version to fix that. What you can do is after you get the XP Cd to boot is run the repair "DOS" prompt and replace the file on your computer with one that isn't corrupt (If you didn't back up your file somewhere on your harddrive then you may be screwed because sometime those files are customized when you install windows and over time as you install programs, ect.). I hope you know your DOS commands ;)

Masamune
07-04-2003, 07:52 PM
ok. none of that booting up shit works... this is exactly what happens.

i see it recognizes my mother board and proudly shows that it as awarded an energy star. (hooray for it!)

it reconizes my HD as the primary master
then my cd as the primary slave
then my cd burner
then press del to go into the bios
press f8 for more options

after that it goes to the screen where it boots normally or boots from a disc. but it says that error shit. then i press any key to reboot and we do it all over again. and i seriously doubt all of my discs are scratched since i take very good care of them all and the XP disc is a brand new blank cd (not blank anymore though ofcourse..)

Radium
07-04-2003, 07:56 PM
You have to press enter before it gets to the F8 screen... If CD-ROM is set before A: and HDD-0 then it should ask if you would like to boot from CD-ROM... and u press enter

Masamune
07-04-2003, 08:47 PM
i have my bios set for D A than C i believe. anyway, the cd is first. so why isn't it booting?

Gerudo
07-04-2003, 08:53 PM
theres a button you can press during the initial startup to have XP to boot to last known good configuration...

When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

this may help...

if not then you may have to format, again...

Masamune
07-05-2003, 11:33 AM
i tried last good config. but i still get the same message. and i already tried to format again but i don't know how to do it without booting off of something. and i'm a little nervous to call tech support since this is a pirated version of XP. (so are win2k and 98)

AtmaWeapon
07-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Remove the C drive entirely from the boot order.

Also, next time you mess with important files, make a backup copy.

Masamune
07-05-2003, 11:38 AM
i did that also. it's like it's completly disregarding what the bios have it set for.

J.J. Maxx
07-05-2003, 01:23 PM
OPTIONS!

http://www.neisd.net/curriculum/images/magnet.gif

or

http://members.lycos.co.uk/hfguide/clipart_tools/hammer.gif

:thumbsup:

Next time don't mess with things you know nothing about. ;)

zora man
07-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Buy a drive,make your screwed up drive a slave drive.
Install xp on your new drive get a serial(illeagaly) for xp.
Now find the file you fucked with(on both the drives) replace the fucked file with the good file on your new drive.now set the new and fixed drive as the master and the old as the slave.....it might work...I dont know much about slave drives.
Or you could always send it to a tecnician(sp?).

Jemsee
07-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by zora man
Buy a drive,make your screwed up drive a slave drive.

That is not a bad idea.
If you have another hard drive on another PC use it as a master and use the unbootable one as a slave.
That way you can get in it and look around at the files and see if anything can be fixed that way.
Also a virus scan could be run.
If the Master HD is big enough back up files from one to the other then reformat and reinstall.
I know it sucks but you may have to.
I did something similar to this when mine crashed.
Just hope you can read the unbootable one if you do this.
When I crashed mine I could not even read the files from it, it said there were no fat32 files anywhere on it, and I had no choice but to reformat the drive.

Edit:
Also doing this will tell you if it is the bios or the HD.

Master Ghaleon
07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Time for a low-level format!!