PDA

View Full Version : Adventure in Seattle

Starkist
07-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Well I had an adventure today. Yesterday I found that a certain Taco Time in North Seattle was giving away free passes to see a sneak preview of Pirates of the Caribbean on Tuesday. Not one to pass up the chance for free pirates, I rode with my cousin (SomUnknown) up to Seattle to snag a few passes.

All was well until we reached the city itself, when we heard and felt something explode in the engine. It was getting very hot, and smoke was coming out. We pulled over, and found that a few hoses had burst. We walked toward the exit (we were on Interstate 5) but before we got there a man pulled over to see if we needed help. He only spoke Spanish. Now I had studied Spanish for three years, but that was a long time ago. In the end, I managed to ask to use his phone and called my mother back in Tumwater. Then I told him we would go back to our car, and I thanked him.

We got back to the car and a state patrol rep told us we would have to call a tow truck or get the car impounded. Not knowing my mother had already arranged a tow, we relunctantly had him call one. A few minutes later he arrived, and drove us five minutes to a Denny's on 4th Avenue, within sight of Safeco Field. It cost $130.

We hung out at Denny's for more than an hour until the second tow truck came. He hooked the car up and we rode with him back to Tumwater. It took nearly two hours, traffic was horrid because of the three day weekend upcoming. We arrived and dropped it off at the auto place and then rode home with my mother.

We never made it to Taco Time for our free passes. :(

:tongue:

TheGeepster
07-04-2003, 01:27 AM
Well, if it helps, my own car broke down Sunday morning on the way to church not one week after having $2200 in repairs a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting on getting enough money for a $1000 down payment on a new used vehicle. (That and I paid a $245 rolling stop ticket from a day or two before the original breakdown, leaving less than $100 in the bank.)

Do tell me how the movie is if and when you get to see it Starkist. :)

Starkist
07-04-2003, 01:37 AM
I forgot to mention, it was his car and not mine. My sister had taken my car to work...

Trevelyan_06
07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
I've had a few car related issues...

My first car was a 1988 Crown Victoria Police cruiser, which was pretty much a civilian tank. This car loved to eat parts. I replaced the alternator three times, busted the raditor hoses, and one particularly fun time comes to mind. I was backing out of a parking lot a school when all of a sudden the steering wheel doesn't want to turn. The power steering belt had snapped. Now bear in mind this car wieghed 2 tons, yeah when the belt went it was a lawn ornament. But know I have a cavalier that I really love, so all is well.

Foxx
07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
(That and I paid a $245 rolling stop ticket from a day or two before the original breakdown, leaving less than $100 in the bank.)
Good heavens, is that what they are now? I will resolve to be even more careful on stops from now on. :darkmage:

DarkDragoonX
07-04-2003, 02:31 AM
Heh, I love living in Seattle. Land of the constant, irritating drizzle. Actually, some of the best entertainment on the planet can be found on the rare occasions when it snows. I actually know how to drive in deep snow, and I just can't stop lauging when Seattle gets like, an inch of slush. The people slooooowly peer out of their windows, creep outside, and hesitantly open their car doors, as if just being in your car on a slushy road is enough to make it fall apart. Of course, then the morons don't slow down, and naturally they don't have snow tires, so their cars DO usually fall apart after they hit a few street signs and telephone poles.