PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Titans! Dell vs. AtmaWeapon

AtmaWeapon
07-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Ugh. I've been happily doing work for the Member Pages on my laptop. I back up the entire directory onto a CD and upload it whenever I make significant progress. This procedure has been excellent because it gives me 3 backups: one on my laptop, one on the CD, and one on my desktop.

About 4 months ago, my CD-ROM drive (OK, technically DVD/CD-RW combo) started acting up. I'd put a CD in, it would make a lot of noise, maybe spin the disc up a time or two, and eventually just act like there was no disc inside. It all started when I bought Superunknown by Soundgarden. I put the disc in, it refused to play. At first I blamed copy protection, and it is my duty as a geek to despise copy protection, so the first thing I did was go tell 3 of my friends about how much I was pissed. Then, I noticed that my GTA3 CD wasn't working, either. Soon, no CDs at all would work reliably in my drive. Sometimes the drive would pick the disc up, but any attempts to retrieve data from the drive would end in failure. CDs could not be burned because the drive "forgot" it had a CD in it mid-session. For some strange reason, DVD movies worked perfectly. I have seen 2 drives behave like this before, and both drives were bad. I swapped them into other computers and they still didn't work. I replaced them with new drives, and they worked. So, I decided to peruse my 3-year At-Home Service agreement with Dell and get a replacement.

ROUND 1
I first did research at support.dell.com. It seems that my model of CD-ROM drive was a hot topic of discussion there. On the support forums, I found no less than 10 topics on the first page devoted to issues with the drive. I did find, however, that a firmware upgrade was available that should fix most problems. I upgraded. It didn't work. I called Dell.
The technician I talked to (of course) insisted that it was not my CD-ROM drive that had the problem, but the CDs I was using. She had me try lots of common things, such as removing and reconnecting the drive and rebooting. I was very close to convincing this woman that my CD-ROM drive was broken, but the drive suddenly started working again. I got off the phone with her, and didn't have very much trouble with the drive anymore.
Dell: 1
Atma: 0

ROUND 2
The past few weeks, the drive has returned to its misbehavior. At first, it was maybe one in 20 attempts would fail, so I just chalked it up as annoying malfunctions. Last night, however, it took me 4 attempts to format my beloved CD-RW so I could drag the Member Pages onto it. I reached Kenny at Dell. Kenny was definitely a computer enthusiast, we had a great time discussing his Commodore 64 while my computer was rebooting. We tried random common stuff, as in the first phone call. He had me play with some registry settings, but they didn't fix the problem either. After a while, I was excited because my drive seemed to be working, but it works following this pattern (when I say CD from here on, I mean audio, data, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD. I have tried them all): If the computer is booted with a CD in the drive, that CD works perfectly. If the CD is replaced with another CD, there is a 1 in 15 chance the CD will be recognized. If the new CD is recognized, there is a 50% chance that any data transfer from the CD to the computer will fail somewhere between the start and finish. After an hour with Kenny, we were at a loss. He told me the next step is to reinstall XP to see if there is a malfunction in the OS. I agreed I'd back up as best I could and get back with him when I was ready.

This is where you come in. I need help deciding the victor of round 2 with Dell. I understand somewhat why Kenny feels a reinstall will fix things. He claims that since the drive reads the first CD that is in it, it obviously works fine, so it must be the OS. I beg to differ, as I haven't rebooted enough times to prove this theory, and I have not tried burning a CD yet. I searched the support forums today, and even now, my drive has 2 posts on the first page.

I do not wish to reinstall XP. It will take me quite some time to backup my files, in particular my 1.2GB of mp3s. The backup process is made more difficult by the unreliability of my drive. For all I know, my CD drive will not finish burning a CD, because it has only finished once in my last 4 attempts before calling Dell. My laptop is not connected to the internet from my room, so activating my XP will be rather difficult.

I pray thee, hardware gurus of the forum, tell me. Am I right in assuming that there is a hardware problem with my drive, and XP is not responsible? Is Kenny correct, can reinstalling XP make a drive work again? Or did I win this round, and should my next action be to persistently insist that they send me a new drive?

jman2050
07-02-2003, 04:20 PM
One thing I will tell you to do is to install the drive on another computer and see if it works there. That is the number one way to tell if there is a software problem. If the drie works perfectly on another computer, it's the OS. If it still acts up, it's definitely the drive. That way you can prevent the uneasiness you have now. If it turns out the OS IS the culprit, then all I can say is good luck to you :)

AtmaWeapon
07-02-2003, 04:26 PM
I don't have another laptop I can attempt to install the drive on, though. :(

DarkDragoonX
07-02-2003, 04:38 PM
You don't actually have to reinstall XP, you know. Just call and SAY that you did, and bitch and whine until they give you a new drive. If that one doesn't work, THEN reinstall XP. If the drive isn't broken, they'll just put it in a refurbished machine anyway, so this way, you get to make sure whether or not it's the drive or the OS without the pain of a monumental backup.

Kirby of Doom
07-02-2003, 05:19 PM
If you do decide to reinstall windows, you might want to try connecting this computer to another computer through a network and moving all your stuff there.

AtmaWeapon
07-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, I just ran the Dell system diagnostics from the bootable CD.

The CD works just like a Win98 boot disk. How do I know? The familiar "Starting Windows 98..." and "Microsoft RAMDRIVE" messages reminded me of my horrific Mandrake 8.1 install that required 3 reformats on another computer. So, therefore, if WinXP were causing any troubles, I am now booting in a different OS with a generic CD-ROM driver, which should mean that XP has been bound by the magicks of the boot disk and has no control over the drive.

I ran the extensive IDE tests on drive CDRW1.
First test: Reading from the beginning of the disc. Passed.
Second test: Reading from the end of the disk. Passed.

Error! There are no audio tracks on this disk...
SO I ran and got a CD from my parents' room and put it in the drive, and pushed the key to try again.
I tried another CD from my parents' room.

I skipped the audio test.

"Would you like to try a (destructive) CD-RW reading/writing test?"
My computer's literacy is important to me, so I agreed to the reading/writing test.

"DELL DIAGNOSTICS HAS FOUND AN ERROR WITH IDE DRIVE CDRW1. TO VIEW THIS ERROR, PUSH OK"

IDE Device unreachable or unresponsive: media possibly not present.

All I have to say to the valiant people at Dell who want to make me reinstall XP:PWNED
Dell: 1
Atma: 1

Jemsee
07-02-2003, 07:47 PM
You posted whyle I was reading.
I voted for Dell for round 2 because untill you actualy get them to admit the drive is bad and agree to replace it they won.
So the big question is who wins round 3 and the match?
With what you just posted you have a good case against them and they should replace the drive.
It's not like they don't already know it is bad, 'ya know.

Goat
07-06-2003, 04:25 PM
I didn't bother to read your post from First round on, because I am lazy, and I didn't bother to read anybody elses posty in this thread, because I never do. Anyways my buddy Tyler is having pretty much the same problem you are. One day his drive just quite qorking, worst of all, it wouldnt even open. *shrugs* fuck Dell I guess. Dell is now on my bad PC list, along wth everyone else who makes PC's besides E-Machines, those always do great for me. I guess basically, if you want a decent PC, you goytta build it yourself.