PDA

View Full Version : I got (another) new car!

AlphaDawg
07-01-2003, 08:28 PM
As some of you may know, I recently got a promotion at my job. (This, by the way, explains my limited presence around here recently... 50+ hour work weeks will do that to you.) So I decided my method of transportation should get a promotion as well. (There was actually a little more to my decision than that, should anybody care I'll go into detail at another time.)

So anyway, I figured I'd trade in my Kia Spectra for a car I've had my eyes on for a long time, a brand new 2003 Volkswagen Passat. It's only the base GL model (no sunroof, leather seating, or alloy wheels) but let's face facts, a base model Passat is a hell of a lot better than 75% of the cars on the road today. The engine (1.8 liter 4-cylinder turbocharged) is whisper-quiet yet powerful. The handling is about as crisp as it gets and the ride is exceptionally smooth. Seating is comfortable and the whole interior has an upscale feel to it. And the factory stereo is exceptional - an 8-speaker CD/cassette stereo. Not to mention the VW-trademark blue/red interior light scheme is simply beautiful and makes the car an absolute joy to drive at night.

Unfortunately, anybody who knows anything about cars knows Kias rank near the bottom in terms of expected resale value, so in addition to paying for the Passat I still have to make up a significant negative equity on the trade-in. So unless I get a second, part-time job, I'm not going to have as much spending money as I've been accustomed to lately. But that's okay. I'll just spend more of my free time in my car. In fact, mark my words, I already plan to drive my car to meet all of you at next year's AGN convention, wherever it may be.

Jemsee
07-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Looks nice.
http://images.automotive.com/buyersguides/2003/volkswagen/volkswagen_passat_md.jpg
An image I just pulled off google.
I always thought VW were ok cars, I have never owned one but a friend in HS had a bug and we went everywhere in it.

AlphaDawg
07-02-2003, 05:49 AM
Yep, that's my car. Only mine is a color they call "Blue Anthracite Pearl." Sort of a blue-grayish.

In case anyone's interested, I'll post some pictures after I get home from work today.

Matteo
07-02-2003, 06:08 AM
http://www.gti18t.com/images/jazz_blue_mk4_jetta.jpg

This is the car I am getting pretty soon (with this color) except i am getting a VR6 as opposed to a V6

what a beautiful color...

thermitephone
07-02-2003, 06:15 AM
so who was it that told u i smoke? huh? cmon, who was it?? i have soda.

Matteo
07-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by thermitephone
so who was it that told u i smoke? huh? cmon, who was it?? i have soda.

I have no idea what your saying at all

Dark_Legend
07-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Hey, I love your car! Well..... I'd rather have a blue viper with two white stripes in the middle of it, but not all people can afford them!:)

AlphaDawg
07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Legend
Hey, I love your car! Well..... I'd rather have a blue viper with two white stripes in the middle of it, but not all people can afford them!:) Thanks. Regarding Vipers, as cool as they are, unfortunately nobody who doesn't already own one is getting one, according to this article (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/dodge/viper/100169634/review.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.vdpheaderratingsl inks..2.Dodge*). Very interesting.
Originally posted by thermitephone
so who was it that told u i smoke? huh? cmon, who was it?? i have soda. Hey! Nobody smokes in my new car... or spams this forum. Consider yourself warned.

Ich
07-02-2003, 10:33 PM
/me drools.

I'll boost your car at the next convention. You live in PA, right? How much are you asking for that Kia? I've got 30$ with me right now, and I get my paycheck tomorrow, and that should be about 100$.

Ian
07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
I'll boost your car at the next convention. You live in PA, right? How much are you asking for that Kia? I've got 30$ with me right now, and I get my paycheck tomorrow, and that should be about 100$.

But after I steal that $100 off you, I'll have $305.34, that enough?

It really is a great car though, how much did you pay for it?

vegeta1215
07-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by AlphaDawg
In fact, mark my words, I already plan to drive my car to meet all of you at next year's AGN convention, wherever it may be.

Awesome.

I hope I can make it to next year's convention too. I really wanna go.

Ich
07-03-2003, 02:12 AM
I'll go to next year's convention just to boost your car :p.