PDA

View Full Version : Who really understands this "00" bug?

Freedom
07-01-2003, 04:31 PM
This "oo" bug has been giving me problems for a couple of weeks now.

If I use two maps on a dungeon, say level 4 then if I use the level # on the second dmap as well, then it sends a dead link (player) to the screen that he entered that dmap on and NOT to screen "00" where the dmap tells him to go.

IF I use an "0" for the second maps dmap level #, then he goes to the "oo" screen that he should, BUT the map has overworld characteristics, and also then won't allow the use of a map.

Having the overworld characteristics in a dungeon messes all kinds of things up, walls don't bomb, walkthrough walls don't work right, scrolling is wrong.... etc.

As is, this is going to really screw up this quest, I'm either going to have 8 levels that are partly level "0", with no maps, or dead link's going who knows where starting people in areas they were long before and have no reason to return to.

How can this be overcome?

If it can't then I'm going to have to shelve this quest until a version comes out that will work right, there's no point in wasting 100's of hours on something that won't work right.

Blonde799
07-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Which overworld characteristics are you using in your dungeon maps?

Freedom
07-01-2003, 08:09 PM
What do you mean?
when the level # is set to "0" on the dmap it takes on the overworld characteristics.
for example when link walks out onto a screen, he doesn't automatically walk out the two blocks that he would in a dungeon to clear the doorway, as well as the things I said above about the bomb doors etc.

Blonde799
07-01-2003, 08:15 PM
That's good enough. I suggest you use other numbers. I only use 0 for map viewing, as that isn't accomplished in other numbers.

Why are your dungeons partly using level 0 sections anyway? I could probably help you better if I knew why exactly you want part of a dungeon to be an overworld.

Freedom
07-01-2003, 08:22 PM
I don't want part of a dungeon to be an overworld, when I set the second dmap to the second dungeon map (using 2 maps to have BIG dungeons) if I put a level # in when link dies he goes to the screen he entered that dungeon/dmap on.

I want him to go back to the enterance of the first map NOT the room he entered on the second map, and using a level # on the second map causes that to happen.
Only when I put a level #0 does it then take him to the oo screen where he can then insta warp to the proper screen.

Blonde799
07-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Oh. That's what's supposed to happen actually. If you don't want to have link start on the second map, have a continue point on the second map, that's a duplicate room of the first one's entrance, to take link to the real one.

Freedom
07-01-2003, 08:41 PM
You're missing the point here, it won't work when it has a level # on the dmap.
It takes him to the room he entered that map on, NOT where the dmap continue here tells him to, It ignores it unless I set it to level 0.

when link dies on the second map I want him to continue on screen 00 of that map to then insta warp back to the starting screen on the 1st map, IF there is a level # set he continues on the screen he entered to NOT the 00 screen that the dmap is telling him to, it ignores it.

IF I set that dmap to level 0 it then goes to the screen that the dmap tells it to and warps correctly, but the dungeon takes on overworld characteristics.

EDIT;

Here is how it's set up.
Level 4 dungeon has two maps, map # 5 and map # 30, 5 is upstairs, and 30 is downstairs.
there are 13 staicases that lead downstairs from the upstairs on 13 different screens.

IF link enters the first staircase then dies, he returns there (screen 73) , if he enters the 13th staircase and dies, he goes back to screen 73 again, even though the dmap tells him to go to screen 00.
SO it just isn't going to be acceptable working in that manner, as it will take link miles out of his way to start again after dying in one of the upper staircased rooms..The dmap NEVER tells him to go to screen 73, it's just going there.

Jigglysaint
07-01-2003, 08:50 PM
It's a bug, which I believe has been partly fixed.

Blonde799
07-01-2003, 08:54 PM
You never mentioned actually using the cont. here checkbox, so...

Ever try not checking the cont. here box? Link won't continue there, and that should allow you to set the continuing point. There are times when link will continue on the second DMap regardless, but that shouldn't be a problem. I think the cont. here box actually toggles the last entrance behavior.

Freedom
07-01-2003, 08:58 PM
jiggly,
I understand it's a bug, but if it can't be controled or worked around, then there is no reason to finish this quest, and I understand why few others finish them, it's because they can't because the program doesn't work, and sends link only God knows where when he dies in a secondary dungeon map.

Blonde,

No I haven't checked the continue here box because I don't want him to continue there, but I did fill in the continue here screen # which is supposed to send him to screen 00 where there is a duplicate room that warps him back to the enterance of the level.
It just ignores it when there is a level # on the dmap as well.
It only follows the continue here screen # when level 0 in put in, which then screws everything else up.

Blonde799
07-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Which warp are you using to take link to the 2nd floor? I'm suggesting the numerous things because I had a run-in with that problem. I fixed the little bugger(heh) by recreating the bug, by putting the second map to the right of the first map(DMap is obviously offset, and these maps are dungeon types), and have insta warps in the first map take link to the second map. So, when link dies there, he'll go to point 00 on the DMap.

Freedom
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
I have two dungeons completed.
dungeon 3 (level3) is on maps 4 and 29, 4 being the main enterance and 29 being subfloors
and
dungeon4 (level4) being on maps 5 (main) and 30 (sub).

If I put level #'s on the dmaps to the secondary (subfloor) maps it takes him to screen 73 of that dmap when he dies in both cases, when it should take him to screen 00 in both cases, only when the dmap level # is set to 0 does it take him to screen 00 as I want it to.

both subfloor dmaps are set to continue on screen 00 to then insta-warp to the main floor dmap enterance screen.

all dmaps are set to dungeon.

to get to the subfloors in both dungeons I use insta warp w/ blackout triggered by stair combos.

EDIT; to add;

The problem is this...
when there is a level # on the subfloor dmap (ANY # be it 4 or 50) it still sends him to screen # 73 in both cases.
It just ignores the 00 that is set on the dmaps.