PDA

View Full Version : how do i completely wipe a hard drive?

Masamune
06-30-2003, 06:41 PM
how do i completley wipe my entire harddrive? is it a dps command or what? because my HDD has been acting very screwy and i think a good format will do it gewd. ;)

Tygore
06-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Go to my computer, right-click the C drive, click format.

NOTE: I am not going to test this to see if it is correct. Do so at your own risk.

Masamune
06-30-2003, 06:48 PM
ok, i tried that and it said it contains files that in use by windows. =(

Ian
06-30-2003, 09:12 PM
You might want to try defragging your computer (go on google before doing it though, I've been known to be wrong................a lot) go to Start > Progrmas > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter (This is how it is on my computer, it my not be the exact same thing, so try looking for Disk Defragmenter if this isn't how yooou Start emnue is setup) Again, go on google or somethng and just make sure (not only for this suggestion) You may end up doing something bad to your computer.

Masamune
06-30-2003, 09:16 PM
i already did that ian. ;) but i already solved my prob so i guess someone can close this useless thread to. :shrug:

slothman
06-30-2003, 09:31 PM
What is "dps?"

Ian
06-30-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure dps is Digital Processing Systems though, I'm not quite sure what they are to be exact

TedHead
06-30-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
i already did that ian. ;) but i already solved my prob so i guess someone can close this useless thread to. :shrug:

Does this mean you have figured out how to format your hard drive?

If not, this is how you do it! Go to a website first that makes custom boot disks. You will want to get one specifically for your version of windows with CD-Rom support. After you download the program to make the boot disk, run it and insert a formatted floppy to put the files on.

Then restart your computer. Hit F8 sometime during the startup process before Windows begins to load, and then you want to start at command prompt.

Then go to your disk drive (assuming it is A) by typing A:\ and hitting enter.

Your disk should have a file called FORMAT.COM (you can check what is on the disk by using the command 'dir'). Then type in 'format C:\' (assuming your hard drive is C) and it will ask you if you want to erase everything. Hit Y to say Yes!

The erasing begins. Make sure you know what you are doing before you do this though... afterwards have your boot disk in your floppy drive when starting up for the CD-ROM drivers and everything to work in DOS. Then install Windows from your CD (which will be on drive Z:\ or something weird like that because of the weird CD-ROM DOS drivers. of course that was just the way it was for me)

inori
07-01-2003, 01:45 AM
How to format a hard drive:

- Step 1: Wave a giant magnet around it. This magnet should be so strong that your puny little muscles are physically unable to separate the hard drive and the magnet. The magnet attracts all the 1's off of the hard drive, leaving only 0's, which everyone knows leaves the drive blank.
- Step 2: If step 1 was unsuccessful, put the hard drive in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. The heat will melt the bits right off the platter. (Can't take the drive out of the computer? No problem... just put the entire machine in.)
- Step 3: As a last resort, get a large sledgehammer and deliver several (12 or so) quick blows to one side of the drive. Make sure you always strike the same side of the drive; your goal is to drive all the 1's to the edge of the disk, where they will ultimately fall off.

*NOTE: inori assumes no liability for anyone who chooses to follow these instructions. Perform at your own risk.

tgf_guy
07-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Good heavens, Inori!

You forgot a bucket of water! Shame on you! Shame!

;)

Masamune
07-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by TedHead

Does this mean you have figured out how to format your hard drive?

no it means i got XP to do it for me! ^_^

Sub-Zero
07-01-2003, 02:27 PM
defrag?? what the hell does that have to do with formatting your hard drive.... geez people...lol, should just be able to use a startup disk....

gdorf
07-01-2003, 07:53 PM
defrag?? what the hell does that have to do with formatting your hard drive.... geez people...lol, should just be able to use a startup disk....

Defrag has to do with solving hard drive related problems, and prolonging the life of your hard drive, and it is often a better alternative to formatting.

Radium
07-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Create an MS-DOS boot-up disc, then when you're in DOS type:
(no quotes)

THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING PERMANENTLY (well... almost) ON THE HARD-DRIVE INCLUDING WINDOWS

1. "A:" (or make sure you're in the A: drive)
2. "format C:"
3. continue at the warning

whala, clean harddrive ;)

If you have windows XP boot up to the windows xp cd and just follow the instructions in the install program... make sure you delete any partition(s) on the hard drive then create new partition(s) and format with NTFS.

Trevelyan_06
07-02-2003, 01:12 AM
I would just use a very strong magnet, but that's just me.

vegeta1215
07-02-2003, 01:48 AM
The FORMAT command doesn't really clean your hard drive well. If you format the drive that way, you can still get stuff off of it. If you really want to wipe your drive, you need a special tool.

One such tool, which I've tried, it's called Autoclave. It worked really well. Check it out: http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/